NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

pros and cons of adopting a grey

raleej337

It all depends. If you are familiar with large parrots, understand that re-homed parrots may have some baggage that has been instilled for years. If you can handle and understand these problems and deal with them then an older grey can bring joy and great accomplishment to your life. A baby grey is a clean slate and will be looking to its new flock (you) to guide it on its way. If you don't know what you are doing and haven't researched and taken that information about greys seriously, you can turn that sweet baby into a grey that needs to be re-homed and that will be carrying all that baggage that you helped provide. So do a lot of research, ask a lot of questions and mostly understand yourself enough to know if you are one of those special people who can handle and love an older grey with baggage. I take the quote in my signature block very seriously.

Karma to you Raleej337 for asking this question and doing your research before getting your grey.

The pros---- that you're giving a pre owned bird a second or third chance at living in a good environment with a person that's willing to put aside the basic reputation and well known facts that are usually attributed to a particular species of parrot and accept the present condition and attitude of that bird. Cons---Many birds who are in adoption situations usually aren't perfect but they can be good pets. Many here will tell you that. Those pre owned birds always shows alot of gratitude in different ways--example, they wake upin the morning and whistle or do something that tells a person that the bird knows it's not alone anymore.

Luvy said it all. Ask, ask, ask, ask questions, study opinions, learn the difference between chicks and older birds before you take the step.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/09/23 02:45

these are just my thoughts, as I've never adopted. I'm going the newly weaned route because I want to work from a clean slate.

That said, with a clean slate there is a lot you can't know until after you are already committed. While personalities may change, I expect adopting will give you a better idea of what to expect long term from your pet. In particular, if talking is a trait you really want, then I think its best to adopt a parrot that already talks, as there is no guarantee even with a baby Grey that it will learn to talk (regardless of how well it is cared for). Its not fair to set those kinds of expectations on a baby.

I too considered adopting an older bird(I used to have a parrokeet and a quaker) but my husband had never even handled a bird before and I didn't want him to have to deal with a problem bird from the beginning. Plus both of us fell in love with our Yoshi when we saw her at just over 4 months old :)

I am glad there are people out there adopting these older greys though, and they need a stable loving home too! I'd adopt them all if I could! :P

It's a bit of a crap shoot as there are so many variables involved. What was the bird's life like before coming into your home? What is its personality, what is your personality? There may be deep seated habits and reactions to people that can be hard to undo. On the other hand, if you have the patience and compassion and the bird isn't too "screwed up" it can be very rewarding seeing an animal blossm into a happy social pet.

I had adopted a 8 year old Amazon and it worked out very well until I learned I couldn't be a two bird person. I overestimated my ability to give my two birs the attention they needed. My Grey was my first bird so I found a nice home for my Amazon. He was quite social and spent his days in a small country store entertaining the customers and I had more time to devote to my Grey.

My current bird Sam is a rehomed bird but he was young when I got him from his first owners - about a year and a half. He didn't come with any baggage and is a outgoing, funny and playfull bird.

My wife and I adopted an abused cat from a shelter about 6 years ago. He was 6 years old and had quite a fear of people, and would hide under furniture or rugs whenever anyone was around. With time he came out of his shell to become one of our best cats. He still has baggage that hasn't gone away. He hides from strangers, and if I walk into the room or move too fast he runs like he thinks I'm going to hit him. We feed him in a small utility room and if he's in there and I walk in he panics, like he's cornered, and will scramble out of there knocking over anything in his path. Bend down to pet him too fast and he runs - again like he expects to be hit. We accept this sometimes frustrating behavior because he's so sweet and affectionate when things are quiet and calm, and you can tell he loves to be with us. Despite the baggage I think he knows he's lving the good life and that makes us feel good too.

The same goes for an adopted bird - at best, the bird and you will develop a great relationship, at worst it will be a frustrating, unrewarding, disaster for you and your bird. My personal opinion - and others may differ - is that 98% of animals respond very well to compassion, patience, tolerance, understanding and love from thier human owner. Greys are social birds and they have an instinctual need for companionship and membership in a flock. That's a good base for you to build upon.

Tom

I just recently got this from the one who posted the grey adoption. By the way the grey is 18 months old according to her and this is the story why the bird is up for adoption.

" The first owner was a man who got him when he was 6 mo. old and had him until 2 weeks ago. He lives alone and his job will be taking take him out of the country a lot. He was worried that his job will keep him away up to a month at a time.

No issues he is a good bird, but if you just came over tried to pick him up from his cage he will bite. I am working with him to know he can trust me not to hurt him. He has come over

to me even scared to hold him at times. But I have only had him about two weeks, so we are still getting to know each other."

And this is what she said in her CL post:

"18 month old DNA large male Congo African Grey Parrot. 2 lg. Cages toys, books and other items to go with him.

This is a very special and most well rounded Grey I know. If you have had or know about them, then you know why this is the best age to get him.

and you will be surprised how easy going he is. Not overly afraid of people or new toys. He was owned by a male and yet if I kept him any longer he would bond to me, a female. Even though I have had him only a couple of weeks, he will let me scritch his head and hold him, but I think at this point though he would still prefer a male. If I keep him much longer this would change.

As you should know Greys have a fine powder and can make a room dusty in a week. The best thing to have is an air cleaner to help out.

This boy needs someone who will love, understand and respect him. I have personal reasons for re-homing and is not due to him.

Please do not bother to ask me to give him away. If you cannot afford him don't email me. I have seen people ask much more, but have all kind of issues to overcome.This is just about the most perfect Grey you could ask for. I need someone willing to keep it that way."

What do you think, is it worth getting the bird knowing that it'll be my first grey.

Any more concerns should I know of?