NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Parrot "Bite Me!!!" Club

danmcq

I am truly amazed at the cognitive abilities these birds have. Even though I have read and studied a bit about them, just as we did with the conures and cockatiels... it still amazes me.

yes, he knows the word "No" when applied to him and how to use it to apply to me.

Maybe man did not discover fire after all... perhaps it was an AG!

Guest Lidia

Joshua absolutely knows what the word "no" means. Just this evening, he was sitting on the cushion beside me on the sofa and looking up at my desk, attempting to sidle up to it. He kept making eye contact with me whilst he was doing it. I looked back at him and said, "No". And he stepped back. When I engaged with the TV he tried again, but stepped back at "no" again.

• 3 weeks later...

I have entered a new record. Mr.Boo has not bitten me for over 2 weeks now. I took some advice handed out here and now I am the only one that tends to his food and water needs, including the treats.

Also... someone said to tap his beak when he bites and reinforce the word "No" since he already knows what the means.

However, I was already concerned about pulling back a stump so I didn't do that.

The last few times he bit or tried to bite me I blew in his face! The first couple of times he snorted and ruffled up and struck at my hand again. The last two times I blew at him for trying to mangle me he fluffed up, said "No Boo" and walked away.

So... blowing in his face worked for me. But.... we have seen a huge change in his temperment when he sees me now too. He is beginning to like me again! He KNOWS I am the bringer of food and water and treats! He even sent me a friendly ruffled kiss this morning!

There is hope.

Snow

That is great news Snow!!!

You had to figure out what worked for Boo and did it.

I love the way he communicates, "No Boo", meaning he won't Bite you :-)

We miss your posts!!!

Please keep us updated on his future progress and antics as your relationship keeps growing, as I am positive it will.

Blowing in his face was a reflex action. He ruffled up twice his size and attacked me thru the cage bars!!!!! I just kept blowing in his face until he quit. We had two major fights but I stuck with it and won.

My sister had reservations about me doing that with "her" bird... Boo loves her so much! But it has worked and we are ALL happier.

I think the tip ya'll gave me about being his food bringer was hugely instrumental in bringing him around. Coupling that with the blowing tactics, establishing me as his superior, has made the big change.

Tomorrow... I MIGHT try to give him a petting or scratch on the head like I used to. I MIGHT.... lol!

Thanks for ya'lls help here!

Snow

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm gonna have to join this club too, I have been bit several times, and it is also an almost daily thing with Spanky.

He too does that old fake out...pet me, love me, pick me up BITE. I tried to time out in his cage, but I don't want that to be a place he doesn't want to be either. I've read about others who blow in their face when they bite, and I've been trying it...I must say, it seems to be the most effective so far.

Darla is the one who has drawn blood a few times, but I think it was my fault for trying to rush her into getting closer to me. She was 1 1/2 when I got her, and not sociable at all. She has come a long way, and doesn't bite me near as much as Spanky. She did almost pierce my lip when I tried to give her kisses the first couple of times. Now I tell her my intensions, and she accepts a kiss or two.

I was also attacked by fourtrap's sun conure, we were over for dinner, and shelby was let out of the cage, sitting on daddy's hand, and lunged right for my throat! No blood, but a very nasty bite.

I know I'm not the president, but definately a member of this club!! {Feel-bad-00020080}

Your in the Club Connie! :-)

It sounds like you have experienced some good firm warnings, thankfully no serious bites that leaves a scar or two. :ohmy: and hopefully you never will.

Thanks for sharing your "Bites" ( I like the Vampire Sun ;-) ) and some information regarding what may have brought them on.

Here's a pictorial example of how NOT to react if bitten.....

ackk_face_ag1.gif

ackk_face_ag1.gif

Well, the first words darla learned after coming into my home, were hello and no bitting. Which apparently she says in my voice.

Spanky starts off playing, with a little taste test and sure enough after awhile... he bites me. But he doesn't do it everytime?

He also likes to sit on my shoulder and pull my hair out. I say stop pullin' my hair out, and he laughs.

Cute, but it still hurts sometimes.

Guest briansmum

aww he's preening you! shame he doesnt understand it hurts and if he swallows any of your hair it won't be pleasant, theyre so sweet sometimes :)

Connie wrote:

Spanky starts off playing, with a little taste test and sure enough after awhile... he bites me. But he doesn't do it everytime?

Yes, they always test texture, taste and firmness of everything they come in contact with. Of course, the Beak is the testing device.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing by blowing or perhaps shaking your hand when the test becomes too powerful.

Spanky will learn what's acceptable very quickly. :-)

One thing to note also, if they want to get you to do something or not, they will communicate that to you via the Beak as they do to their Flock and Mates in the wild.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/08/25 13:33

Dan, I love that picture of what not to do and look like when you get bit, thats a good one.

Unfortunately for us, they do use the beak for testing things, and they usually are trying to tell us something when they do bite, we just don't always get the message.

My Grandson "Jeff", 11 years old, just joined the Parrot "Bite Me" Club. He was walking around with Dayo on his shoulder, then he comes up to me SLOWLY with Dayo still on his shoulder, wincing in pain. I guess Dayo lost balance and grabbed his Ear to steady himself. So I took Dayo off his shoulder.

No Dimple, Mark or even a speck of Blood. But I guess enough pressure on the tender ear for a couple of seconds getting stabilized was enough to make a slight tear in Jeff's eye, that I could see, but he didn't let it on ;-)

So, I guess I will need to get him signed up as a new Forum Member later :-)

Actually, Dayo is well balanced on the shoulder. I walk around all day long with him shouldered, no problem.

I believe I need to teach my grandson what he can and can not do with Dayo on his shoulder.....like no running, jumping etc. There's no telling what he did that resulted in Dayo having to hang on. :P

Hi

Ollie came out of the cage this morning and really went for my husband, flying at him when he was just sitting down, because of this i had to return him to his cage. When we first had him he was fine with my husband but now he just does not like him being in the same room, he has never harmed or shouted at Ollie, we have tried for my husband to give him a treat but Ollie just grabs and throws it, any suggestions please

Kay

Buy your husband a bird too!

This is typical of most greys, they bond better with one person. Ollie may change later, and only go to your husband, and not you. I'm guessing though, that you are the main care taker and flock leader, that's why he is acting this way. So, buy him a bird, and don't feed or clean it. ;)

Kay, there are 6 of us in my family. I do all the care and feeding for our grey. She loves to be with all of us for different reasons, but she does the exact same thing to my son that she does to your husband.. He has never done anything but be nice to her, and she will go after him. I'm not so sure I agree about the one person bonding, as it is not the case in my house. Talon doesn't seem to have a favorite, but she definitely thinks it's fun to go after my son, as she will laugh after.

I have yet to figure out how to stop it.:dry:<br><br>Post edited by: Talon, at: 2007/09/02 14:51