NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Camilla's Announcement

Spinner

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I;m getting so excited I can't wait for the little ones looks like you got a wonderful home for egg #4 if Dan is serious about taking it. And if we get a baby from it, I just cant wait to see those like featherless baby's what fun you must totally be on pins and needles waiting and hoping I'd be going crazy I wouldn't be able to sleep with thinking about them. I could never be a breeder of birds that's for sure.

A quick update:

[li]All four eggs are safe and in good care![/li]

[li]Camilla is spending almost the entire day in the nest box tending the eggs.[/li]

[li]Gonzo is becoming more and more aggressive, protecting his family with great vigor. At the same time, he continues to gently feed his mate like clockwork.[/li]

[li]Camilla has plucked a considerable amount of feathers, as expected, to augment the nesting material we placed in the box.[/li]

[li]Contact calls between the pair are interesting, ranging from gentle chatter to ear-splitting complaints.[/li]

[li]A pool has started at work to pick the day for the first hatching. Proceeds will go to an avian charity.[/li]

[li]The webcam carried record loading last week with an average of 190+ connections/day. Hopefully I'm still under my ISP's bandwidth radar.[/li]

[li]Not to be outdone, Bonnie & Clyde are back in their nest box. In addition, their food consumption has increased considerably - a good indicator that they are preparing for their own clutch.[/li]

[li]Meanwhile, Beaker has let us know he'll have none of this lovey-dovey stuff and expects to have his normal levels of exclusive attention, even if we are feeding little ones. He can often be heard saying "neener neener" to the other birds B)

[/li]

Enjoy!<br><br>Post edited by: Spinner, at: 2009/09/23 04:41

Spinner wrote:

Beaker has let us know he'll have none of this lovey-dovey stuff and expects to have his normal levels of exclusive attention, even if we are feeding little ones. He can often be heard saying "neener neener" to the other birds B)

Hahahahahahahah, Beaker is a character!

Thanks for the GreYt update. I love watching that nest box. :-)

I received a question in a PM and thought I'd answer it here, since others may want to know: The webcam image is in black and white because the camera is operating in infrared mode. The box is mostly dark and has no lighting in it to operate the camera in a "normal" mode. The camera has a number of IR LEDs that provide "invisible" light that the camera can pick up. The birds don't see anything and act naturally.

Camilla let me clean the lens of the camera (which is accessible from outside the box), and the image is much clearer. You all know how their dust gets over everything :P

Enjoy!