NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Winter House Temps

JohnNJ

Just wondering how cool I can make my house at night over the winter and not cause my CAG too much discomfort.

I have seen others post that they drop their temps down to 64 on winter nights. What's the lowest they can handle? Can I provide something like a fleece tent to keep him comfortable?

Just looking for some feedback.

Thanks,

JohnNJ

Most greys can put up with night time changes in the temperature as long as the temp is gradual. That also includes other species. The same thing applies when making the room warmer. Quick heat rise will cause extra feather molting. If you're worried about night time temps, you can simply put a cover on the bird's cage.

Dave - we have a cover over Harvey that was specially designed to fit his cage (no drafts etc). I am too worried about my first winter with Harvey - the temperature does drop probably to around 58 - 60 during the winter, during the night once the heating has gone off. Do you think I need to move him upstairs with us at night into a sleep cage or will he adapt? I'm obviously willing to do whatever it takes to keep him safe.

Hi John - It's a specially designed cover which covers the top half of the cage, right down to the seed skirts and tucks in there - I'm sure air circulates through the gap where his poop tray slides in to meet the cage. I'm not making myself completely clear here!

This is the description from the manufacturer:

Constructed of a revolutionary poly-cotton mixture that is fairly thin & breathable, yet tough for your bird to damage. This material is also non-toxic to birds.

This poly-cotton mixture allows in oxygen, but keeps out light and cool breezes.

A standard bed sheet only blocks 40% to 60% of light and doesn't provide a darkness level that allows your bird to get the sleep needed to be healthy. A Cozzzy Bird Cage Covers block over 95% of light, and allows your bird to truly sleep well.

Front section of cover can be folded over the top of the cage, so you don't need to take the cover off to get your bird out of it's cage.

Cover features Velcro so that you can loosen or tighten it to the cage.

It's called a Cozzzy Cover. Hope this helps. Jill x

JillyBeanz

That is a bit cold. If you can't move the cage to another area in the house that may be warmer, you can

1--do as you suggest or

2--get a double cover.

Just make sure that the area in the bedroom isn't extremely dry. They do need a little humidity and if the upstairs bedroom is very warm ( 77 to 81) , don't use any cover on the bird at all.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/09/03 00:27

We keep our home 68 at night and 76 day during the winter months.

Summer months the house is 83 day and 76 night. We also roll them outside in the summer mid-morning and once the temperature hits around 90, you can see the birds are starting to overheat due to wings held out a little and beak open for deeper breathing. We take them in before they reach that point of course.

We also run a humidifier and keep the room at 45 percent.

JohnNJ wrote:

danmcq:

I see from your profile that you're in SoCal. Do you even have a winter? I'm presuming you're not heating the house to 76 during the day. I'd need a second mortgage to make that happen in NJ. :ohmy:

JohnNJ

Actually, I live in the San Joaquin Valley.

Summer highs hit 112 and winter lows go down into the teens.

We use a heated perch in the winter in her day cage and her night cage. She has other choices to perch, but on a cold morning when we get her out of the cage, her feet are toasty warm. She used to tuck one foot at a time and when we picked her up, one foot was warm and the other was cold. She really seems to like the heated perch and I don't worry near as much when the house gets chilly throughout the night.

My hometown is in Pennsylvania and I love cold weather. We live near Atlanta GA now and you wouldn't think it would get so cold, but it does snow, and I like to walk in snow in bare feet. It is exhilarating! After being too hot all summer, I don't use the heater at night so sometimes it gets down to 40F Before we got the heated perch, I would find my bird all fluffed up in the morning with one cold foot that was holding her up. Now both little feet are toasty warm, LOL.

My husband also makes fun of the animals in this house, they each have their own little warm spot with heated perches, heated cushions for the puppies, even for the cats when they were getting elderly.

When I see the bird's breath making a little cloud, I'll know it is time to turn on the heaters. Just kidding of course, LOL.

• 4 weeks later...

Good Lord, I live in Northern WI, and outside, in the winter, it is not unusual to be -20. We have a woodstove also in the living room, and a heater near the FIDS. Humidifiers and air purifiers run rampant, too. The heated perch is a GREAT idea. I have seen them, but really never thought of it before. With all this stuff plugged in, I am sure we will blow a fuse. ;)

My house gets quite warm in the winter with the fire place going most of the time my house has an open concept so when it gets to be -10 degree its still toasty warm inside. I live in British Columbia in the Fraser Valley so we do get the change of seasons but its not nearly as cold here as it is in the eastern part of Canada we only usually get snow for about 2 weeks a year lots of rain though. Mind you our weather has been changeing lately and we got lots of snow last year it lasted for at least a month and a half. I hope that's not going to be the case this year I drive for a living and I don't like driving in the snow.

• 2 weeks later...

I like cooler temps in the house in the winter time. Around 68 but Whisper is not happy with it that cool. I have to keep it at least 72 for her to be comfortable. Honestly..you can see the difference in her mood and everything the moment the temp goes up. My avian vet advises 72-74 degrees. And yes, I know she can tolerate it lower but she just is not happy at cooler temps.