NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Photoshop Tutorial-Image Alterations

Well, it seems a lot of people want to learn how to alter pictures. So I decided to make a tutorial on it.

First, you need a picture of the vict-I mean...model. ;) I'm going to use this picture:

DSC_0259.jpg

Now, you need to figure out what exactly you want to transform them into. I decided to make CD a mechanic.(I was going to do a ballerina, but all i could find was images that looked really bad resized.) So what I do is I look around google for a picture of the outfit i want him in. But its VERY important it's facing the same way as the person. I chose this picture:

KS13732.jpg

Now what you want to do is save the pictures, and then open them up in photoshop. file>open.

You can ignore CD's picture right now, we need to cut out the mechanic's clothing. Go over to your toolbar and select the 'MAGNETIC LASSO TOOL'.This is what you are going to use to cut out the picture.

cd1.jpg

Once you have it selected, click somewhere on the OUTSIDE of the clothing. then trace over the outline, and the line kind of 'sticks' to it. Just incase it doesnt go the way you want it to, you can click, and it will go there. (It's hard to explain, just experiment) Then once you get all the way back to where you started, click. It should all of a sudden start to animate, and have the dashes "dance".

cd2.jpg

now right click inside your selection, and select 'FEATHER'. This makes it so it softens the edge of it, so it isnt rough. I usually put 1 or 2. This time I'm choosing 1. Then click ok.

cd3.jpg

Now right click again inside your selection, and select 'LAYER VIA CUT' Now the dashes went away, and you see you now have 2 layers in your layer box. (A layer is like a piece of paper, for the image. If you had one peice, then you cut it out, you'd have 2.)

cd4.jpg

Now select your move tool. It is diagonal to the lasso, it looks kinda like a cursor. Make sure your new cut out peice is selected, then click, and drag it over to CD's picture.

cd5.jpg

You should now have the layer you cut out AND cd's picture together. You can get rid of the other open file, we don't need that anymore.

Now, we want it to fit CD, and face the same way as him. So go up to the screen toolbar, and hit EDIT>TRANSFORM>FLIP HORIZONTAL.

cd8.jpg

As you can see, it's kind of small for CD. So go up to EDIT>FREE TRANSFORM.

cd6.jpg

(^I forgot to flip them when I took these screenshots)

It should look kind of like this:

cd7.jpg

You can basically do anything to the picture in this mode. Resize it, widen it, scrunch it up, tilt it, play around. And the effects aren't permanent, until you click a tool, and hit apply. So play around here with it, try and make it big enough/wide enough to fit CD. I had to resize it, and tilt it slightly. This is what mine looks like so far:

cd9.jpg

Ok, so now we need to see CD's arms. Make that layer invisable by clicking on the box by the layer, with the eye in it. The eye will disappear, and so will the image.

Make sure you select the CD layer before you do anything!

Now take the magnetic lasso and go around Cd's arms, and camera if you want to. Make the dashes 'dance', right click FEATHER>1, OK. Then right click LAYER VIA CUT again.

cd10.jpg

Now click on the layer with CD's arms in it, and drag it up above the other layer, that you have invisable. (You can click where the eye was to make it reappear.)

cd11.jpg

Now take the eraser tool(it looks like a block eraser) and click where it shows you in the picture. Those are the settings I used.(Oh, and the hardness is how much "feather" is around it.)

cd12.jpg

Now I erased the arms until the arms of the outfit ended, but I see that Cd's arms need to be tilted. So I go to edit, free transform again to tilt it. Then I adjust where the arms are, and clean up the erasing job, so it looks normal.

cd13.jpg

Then I kind of tweak it with the eraser, alittle, fixing the edges it it's rough, eraser part of the shirt neck...now it's time to fix it so Cd's brown shirt doesnt show.

Select CD's layer, and find the CLONE TOOL. This tool, when you hold ALT and click, will copy the area from where you clicked, to another spot. It is often used for getting rid of unwanted things from a picture. Anways, hold ALT and click somewhere on the gravel behind CD. Then just click normal, wherever you see the shirt. You can adjust the size of the brush and everything as needed.

cd14.jpg

cd15.jpg

Now you are ALMOST done. Just need to sharpen up the outfit, so it looks like it's part of CD. Click the outfit layer, then head up to FILTER>SHARPEN>SHARPEN.

cd16.jpg

You can do it a little bit more if you want, I did it twice.

You can add anything using this way, I'm just gonna end here, because I'm really getting tired. :P

Here's mine, but it's not all that great. I think it needs to be sharpened more.

DSC_0259.jpg

Now, the best way to save this would be to go to FILE>SAVE AS, then select .JPG as a file. Then upload it wherever. (If you want to go back and edit it laer, save it as a .PSD

Let me see your finished products!! And any questions, don't be afraid to ask!!

Melissa<br><br>Post edited by: TalonSis, at: 2007/07/14 05:11

Thanks Melissa, you put a lot of hard work into this and I appreciate it very much, now I know why your Momma is so proud of you, I am too. This is a big help to get started, now I need to download the program and get to work. You are such a sweetie.:)

I just want to give Melissa a big kiss for spending so much time doing this thread. Melissa, THANK YOU.. You are a wonderful young woman.. Always remember what I am about to tell you FOREVER

You can have anything you want in this world just as long as you help others get that they want....

CD

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...