NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Getting a kitten...

Hi.. just a quick post...

My other half has been going on about a kitten for years now, but i have always been unsure of it cause we have adanna... Now we have finally took the plunge, and bought a six week old begal x... she will be coming home next monday, but what i wondered was is anyone has had bad experiences with getting a kitten and having a African Grey?

I know that it will need supervised, but want to know anyone elses experiences, good or bad...

Thanks, Michelle and Adanna xx

I recently got a new kitten. My birds were used to a cat, but the cat was here before them, so the birds were very cautious and leary about him. Sadly.....the coyotes here got my cat.......:(

When I brought the new kitten home, Talon set out to let that kittne know first hand, that SHE was the boss, this was HER house. She spent the first day or 2 chasing the cat around the house(she is fully flighted), dive bombing the poor kitty, and screaming at it as she did so. Rikki on the other hand, just tries to bite him as he walks by. The kitten knows who is the boss in this house, and never goes after the birds, but that doesn't keep me from keeping a diligent eye on them all....just in case.

I am sure you will be fine, and I am very happy for you! My advice to you, is NEVER trust that those CAT instincts won't kick in when you least expect it.

Thanks Talon.. yeah i have heard similar stories that if the parrot is there first that they show the kittens whos boss.. Just dont want adanna totally bullying the kitty :( Adanna is really greigs pet, hes her special person, so he will be making sure that he lavishes adanna like usual, as well as playing with kitty (name to be decided later hahah) Adanna is really protective of greig, when we row, she actually hisses at me lol...

Thats a beautiful little kitten Michelle and lots of members have cats along with their greys so just be careful and supervise out of cage time and I am sure you will do fine, they can co-exist if you handle it right. Thanks for sharing a pic of your kitten with us, I love its little face.

bad news... the lady we paid a deposit to advertised the kitten for sale again yesterday evening.. Didnt even contact myself or greig.. When greig emailed her (as the number she gave him wasn't working...) she emailed back and said she was worried that the parrot might eat the cat, so didnt want to sell to us...No call, no email, no text.. guess we were meant to figure it out ourselves.... She knew we had adanna before we even took money out and handed it to her.. The kitten has went to a new home now :(.. Never mind... greig went to her door at 4.30am this morning to collect our deposit back.. and woke her up lol..

Im sooo angry.. the people that should have been worried were us.. we have a pricey bird in our house.. and a cats more likely to attck adanna ot of instinct than adanna is.. christ, adanna is scared of her own shadow lol..

Hopefully getting a russian blue... hopefully :(<br><br>Post edited by: shelly_quin, at: 2009/07/05 12:20

WHAT.... the parrot might eat the bird???? WHAT IS THIS LADY CRAZY?? HOw about the cat WILL eat the bird if let alone for a long time.....JEEZ, SOME PEOPLE ARE SO STUPID!

I am HAPPY TO HEAR THAT YOU GUYS WOKE HER UP TO GET YOUR REFUND BACK, SERVES HER RIGHT! :laugh: :laugh:

I am sorry to hear this all, I don't know where you live, but where I live, all kittens that are pure bred are free. Don't fret, the right kitty that is meant to love you and your family will come along very soon.:)

Oh I'm really sorry about what happened. What a let down. Perhaps it was meant to be, though? Russian blues are beautiful cats. I have experience with siamese cats. They are wonderful but perhaps a little too tough to have around birds. We got a himalayan and a persian kitten 2 months ago. You can see the siamese in the himalayan - she's not afraid of anything. The persian is much more laid back, lazy (although he loves to play too) and he's also a real moosh. At three months old he's already climbing up my lap to rub his face against my head. I think he'll be less of a risk to my parrot (when I get him - I lost my CAG a few months ago) although he's twice the size of my himalayan!

Good job waking the seller up like that!! :evil:

Photo024_001.jpg

Adanna and New kitty... still no name lol

Photo016_001-1.jpg

New kitty...

*got our kitten. shes at home with us.. Adanna doesnt seem to be bothered about her.. same with the kitten :) Adanna has touched the kittens nose with her beak, all good so far :) they sit on greig at the same time :)

ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!!!!! Maybe Adanna thinks it's a baby CAG cause it's grey too???? :P

NA SOU ZISEE (Let it live for you) a Greek blessing when a new baby comes into the family!!!

Here are my babies at 2 months old (now almost 3 1/2 months old)Selini on left (girl) and Simba on right (Boy)

Can't wait to find out what you will name her!

Selini_and_Hercules_small-bff4db28ff0167dcb5556b5157b2f758.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: HappyinGreece, at: 2009/07/07 13:22

Selini_and_Hercules_small-bff4db28ff0167dcb5556b5157b2f758.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

just a little update... had the kitten about ten days now.. her and adanna are slowly getting used to each other.. Adanna has gave the kitten a warning nip.. But we are keeping our eyes on her.. Adanna doesnt appear to like her very much though lol. The kitten isnt interested in her though. Fluffy (temp name) is growing well, and already is full of beans, despite her being just over four weeks when we got her.. Guy sold her far to early! Shes full of beans though :)

Watch out with the temporary name syndrome! I didn't know what to name my previous cat either, I kept calling her Munchkin - well, it stuck. A big fat siamese cat named Munchkin? Oh well....

Now with Selini (Moon) we chose it and liked it immediately. But for Simba the white male, he's giant sized and the breeder had named him Hercules, but my husband changed it to Snowball. That sounded much to Wussy for us so my daughter and I came up with Simba cause he reminded us of a lion - strong and brave, but lately the only lion traits he's exhibiting is lying around all day while Selini dances circles around him LOL!

lol.. yeah i know what you mean, greig, my bf wants to call her floozie.. but i dont like that lol.. so we are just trying to get something we both like, sayin that, i do call her fluffy, and i think she suits it. :L

On another note, i was sitting with the kitten tonight, and she was sleeping on me, adanna flew over and sat on my other hand, so i was kissing and cuddling her, she walked down a little, and looked at fluffy, and i said to her 'careful' as thats what i say to adanna so she doesnt get hurt.. well adanna bent down to the kittens back, and started gently grooming her :) i said to greig tht i think adanna was being agressive cause we werent giving her the chance to show she can be nice.. heres hoping this is a first in a list of many nice things x

• 2 months later...

Just a little update for everyone.. had the kitten a few months now, coming up three actually.. Adanna and her get on most of the time, adanna even calls her over in my name, when the kitten comes through, adanna has a little nibble of her foot lol :L nothing sore, but its funny to watch! she now has a name, Fluffy.. i know its not the most original, but i think it suits her!

Im posting a few pics of her now so you all can see :)

michelle,Adanna and Fluffy x

Photo011.jpg baby fluffy

fluffy.jpg