NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Found a baby Sparrow hatchling..Nest HighUP..CATS!

myafricanqueen

Yeah I have read that in four days I can offer him water for the first time in a small dinner plate. Food such as seed etc. I will try at 4 weeks of age. So in 2 weeks.

I cant wait to give water to him. I know he will wanna bath and drink.

He can take as long as he needs to wean.

Cristen

Wow!!!! Cristen you have got such a big heart taking in TuffGuy like that...He is just adorable, and I hope for nothing but the best for you guys! Please keep us posted on his/her progress!

Any idea if there is any way to visually identify male/female starlings? Do you plan on taking him/her to the vet and everything?

chimaysmommy,

For sure, Males will start to get black feathers on the chest as the first sign. Then the face will get the dark brown patches by the eyes and so on.

So I gotta watch out for those lil' black feathers and if they never come in, I have a pretty little princess! I will have to change the name to Tuffgal! lol:P

Oh and its a sparrow. But Starlings are VERY similar in diet and care. Starlings are a bigger birdie.

Cristen

UPDATE ON TG!

He flew for his first time on July 7,2009!! :woohoo:

I was SO proud of him!!:P

He flies over if you call out his name and hold your hand. He is the cutest & smartest sparrow for sure.

He actually flew to the syringe I have used to feed him since he was a day or two old and pecked at it to tell me he was hungry... At first I wasn't sure if he really actually flew there to tell me that he wanted to eat but as soon as I picked it up he GAPED n chirped while flicking his wings and proceeded to eat a lot!!!

I will add new pictures or even a video this weekend. . .

Cristen

He really is a smart little fellow isn't he I guess he knows when he's hungry and what instrument is used to feed him has he started weaning yet? thats great that he's flying he's sure a cute little fellow. Can't wait to see some new pics and maybe a video of him flying. Everytime I see a sparrow I think of you and your new fid.<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2009/07/11 00:48

AWE! thats so cute that you think of me and TG!

I never thought he would turn out to be such a people birdie. But he loves his family.

Well I have put out some finch seed and some gravel n grit, and he has a water dish. But he still waits for mom or dad when he is hungry.

thats ok he can take as long as he needs. He is such a cutie pie.

Still falls asleep in our hands or on my arm.

Holy cow is he fast! He zips around better than any of my other fids as far as flying, and when in flight you cannot hear him flapping at all. well I guess his competition would be our budgie cheekz. He is a GOOD too.

Thanks for your comment Tycos_mom. I appreciate how you cared enough to check back.

Cristen

Yes, how is TG getting on.I cant wait for the new pictures.I have a sparrow who lives in my roof,I have named him Sid. He has been living there for about 18 months.I dont feed him but every time I go out he runs out to look who is on his patch.They are very inteligent.

Have you any idea what his /her future holds,are you keeping the little darling tame or are you going to try and release him to the wild if that is possable,my guess is he/she would be too tame.<br><br>Post edited by: she, at: 2009/07/11 07:22

Hi everyone,

She,

I am planning to kep TG forever. I have read a lot about them and what would happen if I did let him go.

Birds raised alone with only human contact will imprint on humans and will not survive if released.

If a bird is raised alone from the time he has no feathers, even if not truly 'imprinted' (which you cannot know for sure until the bird is a mature adult) he will probably be too tame to survive out in the wild.

TG is doing wonderful:)

He is just so cute and so smart. He is growing up too fast. His feathers have come in nicely. I read that at 7 weeks he will have new black feathers appearing on his chest and if not then I know its a girl.

TG is 19 days old So I have a while to wait until I will know the sex.

He definately knows when you say his name and he knows my voice. He likes every one of us and even knows to step up just by placing a finger at his chest.

He has been in a smaller cage for a day and a half now. He seems quite content in that one but, obviously he needs a really big cage later.

I didnt want to take him out of his smaller cage/box/carrier thingy I made into a nest type "brooder". ( I dont know what to call itB) )

I didnt want to just put him into this huge cage, I think he would have been a little scared. This way I can still hang a heating pad on the side of his cage at nite when it gets colder out so I dont have to worry about him.

He loves his out of cage time which happens all throughout the day and evening til 10pm. He flies all over now and lands on whom ever he chooses or whatever he chooses.( Except the other birds and cages )

He likes to look out the window and sit in sun for short periods. He has not expressed a desire to eat any seed etc. He has pecked some of the food that I am feeding him off my finger though.

I read that Sparrows in the wild feed their babies sometimes two to three weeks after they fledge.

I am really going to try and get some new pics on here I might attempt a video too.

thanks everyone for checking back on TG's journey.

Cristen

Well that would be nice I would just love to see TG in flight I bet S/he is quick I know in the wild allot of larger birds are afraid of them because they are so quick the fly in peck and fly out and will do this constantly until the bird is dead. could you imagine 50 of the little boogers flying in pecking at you at the same time. Ouch :laugh:<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2009/07/12 22:50