NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

TIME - When you bring home a baby CAG

danmcq

I must say mine has never had a set amount of people time.

When she was younger I was working 40 to 70 hours a week. I brought her to work two or three days a week. I was a dog groomer and everyone loved having her at the shop.

After I left that job she I was at home but she only spends a couple hours a day out and not everyday. Mostly in the week when my husband is not home. This past week she has had very little out time cause of the rain and my husband has been home all week.

My husband is bad about not remember birds are out and he walks threw the house like a bull in a china shop and he slams doors. I am just not comfortable having them out when he is home.

Que takes it all in stride. She is just as happy hanging out in her cage as she is on her play gym.

Oh I forgot to mention the night light and a partial cover for the cage. The cover is usually best if its the colour of his feathers.. so, grey. Watch out for the chewing of an extension cord for that night light too. I take the night light away during the day so theres no chance of chewing. My last 2 birds had the night light for 2 weeks and then I took it away without any troubles and they've never had it since.

We cover. Talon's sleep cage is in my son's room, and he is up most of the night on his computer, so it keeps the light out. Talon is a verY light sleeper, and is bothered by noises at night. I believe most birds aren't like that. Lucky us!! :unsure:

Talon wrote:

So I am on the other side of the coin, and would spend as much time as I could with your new baby, and gradually allow a schedule to fall into place. We had no problems with Talon, and like CD said about Ceaser, Talon is very adaptable with change.

Just my opinion, you do what is right for you, and what you feel comfortable with.:):)

Thanks Talon, thats really good to hear!!

I am going to take 2 weeks vacation then when we get to bring Dayo home!! :-)

It is certainly good to hear how adaptive to change they are through your and other experiences.

You know, you read so much on the internet that just seems to be the biased opinion of perhaps one professional, that has a myopic view based soley on their experience.

It is such a great feeling to know I can post on this Forum and get the experiences of all the users here, that live with your Greys day in and day out. That help new owners, such as myself get a "Balanced" view of the general Grey's behavior by "Merging" all the information into a provided into workable solution.

Thanks to all of you!!

{Feel-good-000200BB}<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/07/10 13:51

• 4 weeks later...

ok so if I put my bird on my shoulder everytime I take the dogs for awalk then it will expect it everytime I take the dogs out that it's going to? Also when I start to take it out do I put a cloth on my shoulder so it doesnt poo on me?Oh and harness.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I always thought that it was like everyone else said: don't spend any more time with them when you get them than you always will. However, I'm confused. I got the idea from [ul]The African Grey Parrot Handbook[/ul] by Mattie Sue Athan and Dianalee Deter, that when you bring a baby home, you should spend a lot of time with them to reassure them. Did I misunderstand?

Thanks,

Ralph

Hello Ralph,

Well almost 2 years later, I can tell you I did spend a full 2 weeks of vacation at home with Dayo out and playing everyday.

Once I returned to my normal work schedule, Dayo was fine and no noticeable difference occurred in his behaviour. The only difference was when my wife returned home from work or I did, Dayo would be just like a child climbing all over his cage panting and peeping for mom or dad with great excitement. :-)

One other note, on weekends Dayo is out of his cage from morning until we go to bed . Then on weekdays, it's back to the normal work week schedule. It does not seem to affect him at all. We just keep plenty of toys and foraging items in his cage to keep him occupied. We also leave the TV on across the room from his cage which provides some background noise and entertainment.

I have found that books are a good source of general knowledge on parrots, but not a bible that holds the ultimate truth in every instance. :-) The book is simply the Authors opinion.