NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

whose got the eldest grey ??

imran

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Lidia has the honors so far of current members! As I said, we now have an Amazon in the family for over 37 years! He was my grandmothers bird before I was born! I grew up with him. He most certainly was wild caught as was the norm back then. He has NEVER EVEN ONCE been to a vet. We really dont know how old he is, since he was wild caught...needless to say having a parrot for that long does provide a lot of insight, although Amazons are different than greys, there are lots of similarities. Personally I think all the vet visits are overrated, assuming you have a healthy animal on a balanced diet. I guess you can never to too sure. Maybe we've been lucky, but our Amazon (still alive), cockatiel that lived 17 years and budgie that lived 13 yrs were never to a vet. :P

Not sure how I got on the vet tangent...random thoughts I guess!

Hi dblHelix,

That Amazon has had a very blessed life so far!

I am too scared not to have an avian vet perform regular checkups though.

I also would be in the Vet's office the instant I thought my Parrot squawked funny :-)

That's just me, I am paranoid about critters that can not tell me something is really wrong. :blink:

Guest briansmum

dan.. every time he sqwaks funny? you'll be there a lot then :laugh: just you wait till he starts making crow like sqwaking sounds and flapping himself round and round in circles, or screaming at his toys like they've just stolen his wallet or something :laugh:

imran - Yes the amazon was wild caught. But we've had him for 37 years now. He is very tame with certain people (cuddles, head scratches, gives kisses etc), but will attack people he does not know or like quite aggressively! He is and has always been fully flighted. Definitely a personality this one...and very loud! He makes noises I never hear from other birds, likely calls he learned in the wild.

Hi everyone

My grey, Milly is 15 months old and we've had her since she was 6 months. We went to the breeder to buy a baby but she had been taken back by the person who bought her as she was at work all day and realised that Milly (who was called Tinny then) was lonely. She captured our hearts and continues to do so. She is amazing, talks like mad and has great fun with us. She didn't talk at all when we got her but started within a week, she is so funny and we adore her!

Hi Barb! Welcome to the family. I'm happy you gave this sweet Milly a home! We love pictures, could you post one? Looking forward to hearing more about her!!

There's lots here to read, so enjoy all the great advice and experience that everyone continues to share! :cheer:

• 1 month later...

yea beccy i agree with you... :)

everyones got young babies... averaging from 4mtnhs to 2 years but ....

user Lidia has Joushua whose 18yrs..

and a new member dennies has a grey whose 14yrs..

so these 2 can give us all the most information :)

• 4 weeks later...