NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

ROVER

maggiemoo123

I have had an african grey for approxomatly 2 weeks now,we can feed him,talk to him he will talk back, the problem we are having with him is, he wont let us put our hand in the cage to feed him as he goes for us, he wont let us touch him. If you go near his cage he attacks the bars to get to us. He wont come out of his cage we have tried to let him out but he isnt having any of it, i have a macaw we handle him so the african grey can see us he still isnt having any of it, is there any advice on how to calm him down. Or an easy way of taming him we have put him in a new cage with all new toys, perches and bowls,we have put him in the window near the other parrot.

How old is he and do you know if he was abused in any way or just left in his cage constantly by the previous owners?

First, it is going to take time. The combination of new cage, new toys (he may be afraid of, cage placed in window etc. could all be causing much fear and anxiety in him.

You should try just sitting right next to the cage and read, watch tv, talk to him etc as much as possible so he comes to know you and that you pose no threat. He could also be Cage aggressive. Have you tried letting him come out on his own? Can you handle him once he is out of the cage?

There are many things you could try to calm him down like move his cage to where it is against a wall, not by a door and farther away from your macaw , take some of the toys out if he seems leery of one or two particularly etc.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. :-)

He is very set in his ways at this age and will take some time for him to feel comfortable and it also depends on how many owners he has had and his own personality but greys are known to be very cautious creatures so give him lots of time and two weeks is not near enough.

Do you know anything about his past?

thankyou i will try them tips out and let you know how i get on. All i know about the bird is that he was coverd up constantly day and night for screaming, since we have had him he has been great no screaming he has been chatting a lot he whistles a lot, when we talk to him he does come to the bars but he wont let us put our hands near him he will take treats off us fine he doesnt snatch or anything. I dont know if he has ever been out of his cage so i dont know if he is better out then in. he is around nine years old.

Well just let him get used to his new home, he has a lot of issues to overcome and he needs to learn to trust you and that takes time and lots of patience. How cruel to cover him constantly to try to shut him up.

You have a long road ahead of you but take it slow and easy and he will let you know when he wants more from you.

That is terrible abuse by his previous owners. It means they basically reach the point they hated and neglected him, poor soul.

From what you say in regards he is conversing and taking food from you gently, you have made tremendous progress in just 2 weeks. He is happy not being covered, being made to feel a part of the flock and is learning that not all humans are the enemy and not to be trust, atleast they are ok so far outside his home, the cage.

You may not need to change his cage placement or toys if he seems calm and not cowering from a toy or as he just sits preening in his cage.

Time, patience and love may be all that is further required. :-)

Please keep us posted on his progress.

Hi maggiemoo, Karma to you for taking in an older grey. What is his name? What happens if you talk softly as you approach the cage? You do need to clean the cage and give him food so how does your grey react then? You have taken on an enormous challenge but I sense that you have the patience and love to give your sweet grey a wonderful home. I look forwarding to hearing more about your new charge. Welcome to the family.<br><br>Post edited by: luvparrots, at: 2009/06/23 19:39

when i clean him out my boyfriend feeds him from the other side of the cage to distract him a little he seems to be ok with that. His name is rover, when i talk to him he chats back, i can stand infront of the cage and talk to him but he is very wary and sometimes attacks the bars of the cage to get to me i stand there and dont move an inch when he does this to show him im not scared of him when he does this. I love a challenge, i will not give up with him.I have tried to let him out but he doesnt want to come out i dont want to chase him out i would like him to come out on his own.

The thing for you to do is when you are at home leave the cage door open for him to come out if and when he feels like it and he will eventually come out when he gets curious but this may be weeks down the road.

I'm glad you love a challenge and won't give up on him for he will try your patience before you finally win him over.

Well done for taking on an older bird. I think you have a long road ahead of you, but perhaps sit by his cage doing different things or even eating nice things while making yummy noises. Greys are naturally quite inquisitive so he may well begin to move down toward where you are sitting. If you don't take any notice of him he will eventually, hopefully become comfortable sitting closer to you.

Good luck with him.

Karma to you for getting Rover out of a terrible environment. There is so much information here that I encourage you to search around and benefit from the experience of others who have been through similiar situations. Most times it's best when you move a bird to keep the same cage and same set-up he had before, but with Rover being so badly treated in his cage the fresh start you've provided is great! Now you have to get to know his body language, what he does, what sounds he makes when he's scared . . . (lots here on reading a greys body language too!) He sounds like he's cage bound, and cage defensive. Poor little guy. His cage is supposed to be his safe place, but it's also been his prison in his last home, so right now he doesn't know where he's at. Two weeks is, in the life of a grey, the blink of an eye, although it feels like forever to us impatient humans;)

Don't be surprised if it takes weeks, maybe even months, before you can handle him. I brought home a 4 year old cage bound bird about a year and a half ago, and it's still a struggle to get him to step up, and his cage is still his favourite place. Just keep reminding yourself that the work you do now is laying the foundation for a relationship that can last decades, and mark every small step of progress you make. At the end of a year you'll look back and be amazed how far Rover has come with you. With information, support (which you'll get in truck loads here), love, and patience, you have years of companionship and laughter to look forward to.

I don't know anything about rehabilitating a bird who has come from such awful treatment as what you described, so I'm unable to give any advice. But I did want to get KARMA to you for having the big heart to bring him into your home, and trying to show him the care and concern that he has deserved his whole life. Please keep us posted on the progress!!!

Well I must say I also want to give you Karma for taking on a older abused bird. I have taken Ina few myself. First thing you have to do is to Le him know you really want to be his friend. To do this try looking at him with only one eye keep you hands behind your back never approach the cage straight on come in from an angle or zig zag all these thin will show him that you are a friend and your not going to hurt him. After he stops trying to attack you or his cage try to clench your fist and put it on the bars of his cage make the skin on the back of your hand as tight as possible and let him try to bite you he won't be able to get a grip but it will show him that biting isn't going to work always watch his head while doing this and move you fist so it the only spot he can get too because he will try to find a softer place to bite. My African Grey took 7 months before she would allow me to touch her feathers in anyway it takes time and patient and i do mean lots and lots o patients and love. Open the cage and leave it open he will come out on his own this will take some time if hes been locked up for to long. I rescued a Severe Macaw not to long ago that was locked away for 5or 6 years at least. Its taken awhile but he's finally starting to enjoy life again. I took his cage completely away from him a couple days ago and bought him a playstand that is like a cage but hasn't got any bars. So far we are making progress. I don't recommend doing this to a bird until you know his personality and he has at least started coming out on his own and sitting on top of his cage without fear. What you could try though is putting a rope perch or something similar on the inside of the door so that when he sits on that perch and you open the door he's actually out but only part way and still feels secure to have his cage around him. that's what I did and it wasn't to long that that became his favorite place to sit and be with me. it helps him to get used to being in close but not to close until he's ready you really have to take thing slow and at his pace not your and you will soon have a wonderful companion. just don't give up don't take bites seriously and give him all the love you can try to get him into a routine as much as possible this will also help. same thing everyday with only minor changes like moving a little closer or teaching him something with blocks like colors while your sitting with him the more you involve him in your life the faster he will come around make him feel he's apart of a flock even if its a human flock good luck.

I also have no experience of rehabilitating such a sadly neglected Grey.

It is so good to read of people like you who are happy to re-home such a soul.

It seems to me that you are doing the right things. I hope you will let us know how Rover progresses.

Big Karma from Misty and Me.:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Steve n Misty