NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Petrol price is getting silly

Supernova

caitb2007 wrote:

If gas was really $1.59 I would be SOOOOOOOOO happy! It's almost $3 a gallon here! :angry:

WHAT!! $3 A GALLON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In England we pay one English pound plus

for one litre :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Petrol here would be $9.86 per gallon, at your prices.

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :evil:

What you pay for one gallon we pay for 2 pints

$1.64 = one Pound

Post edited by: Supernova, at: 2009/06/19 21:09<br><br>Post edited by: Supernova, at: 2009/06/19 21:15

I have been using economates in my BMW and it works well. Has not caused any pinging, does not afffect the warranty and has extended the life of my tank of gas from about 280 miles to about 360. I use about 2 dollars of product per tank. The stuff is enviro friendly, doesnt stink and is really great. You can read about it at reducemyemissions.com. The girl I buy it from is named Kelly and her phone number is 949-212-1927. Sorry if this is against forum posts. Since it addresses the complaint and I am not the one selling the stuff, I am hoping that people don't mind the info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What are diesel prices in England? I drive a diesel VW, it gets 40+ MPG in combined use, and at slower US highway speeds (55-63mph) it will get 50 to 52mpg (52 is the best I've gotten). England has so many more diesel VWs, BMWs, and Ford cars than we get in the US, I would really love to import some but I can't due to our EPA and their backwards way of doing things. Even if diesel exhaust was twice as deadly (it isn't, it's actually slightly better than gasoline exhaust despite the visibility from the soot/particulate matter) you get about 30% more miles to the gallon.

Diesel was as high as $5 a gallon a little over a year ago, and gas was $4 a gallon. Everyone slowed down to about 5mph under the speed limit and I went from 580-625 miles out of a tank average to 650-680 miles per tank, I think from March thru November I filled my vehicle up twice a month every month, if that -- and I put 300mi/week on going to and from work.

Not everyone can afford a new car, but if your vehicle is nearing retirement it might be worth looking into a VW diesel -- they're about the only car maker who sells diesel cars in the US (and they are the cheapest). Prior to 2006 you could get any model VW (golf, beetle, jetta, passat) with a TDI diesel engine, after 2006 the only cars with them are the Jetta and the Touareg SUV. The Jetta also comes in a station wagon variant that is a somewhat OK replacement for an SUV. I also have a Diesel Liberty (2005-2006 model years USA) that gets 30 highway and 18-21 in town (depends on your foot).

Any 06 or ealier diesel can also use biodiesel, made from vegetable oil. It's not hard to do (but I do not advise anyone to try and use veggie oil in its raw form as a fuel -- leads to very expensive engine failures 98.8% of the time), lots of website that show the process and it's a fun chemical reaction that gets youngsters interested in science. If you know someone with a greasy spoon/mom and pop diner, and you can spare $500 in hardware and another $300 in consumables, you can make free diesel fuel (must pay road taxes to your state, unless they exempt you -- NC has laws that exempt home brewing under 2000 gallons a year, fed requires no taxes on under 500 gallon/year volume -- for my car 500 gallons = 20,500 miles at 41mpg.

Just something to think about. Bikes are also a great option if you don't have very far to go; but that's not the case for me being in the computer business -- i travel to many remote locations to work on locked up servers. I had to have a very fuel efficient car, and I think I found it. I really love my Jetta, but I really wish I'd gotten another Bug (I have had two gas New Beetles, good experiences with one of them -- the other had over 200k miles and was running on 3 cylinders when I got it, I locked that one up). Bugs have "grab handles" on the passenger side of the dash -- sort of like our Jeep Liberty -- that the birds can perch on while parked.

Diesel's like for like now - Diesel used to be FAR cheaper, but now, at my local ASDA (Walmart) it's £1.01 for a litre of petrol and a litre of diesel. I filled up yesterday and it cost me £55 - I get about 280 miles (or 300 if I'm driving sensibly) to a full tank!

My husband ran his last diesel car on veg oil mixed with diesel - it obviously does still run, but smells like you work in a chip shop - also it does block something or others too (which I forget what did get blocked)!

I have absolutely NO intention of getting rid of my car - the public transport around here is crap! :lol: