NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

should i get a grey

francine

i am thinking of adding another bird to my flock and was wondering if a grey is what i should get. i have a quaker parrot who is almost 1 1/2 and he is just the sweetest thing. i dont want to upset the apple cart, but have always wanted a grey. have been reading that maybe some of their self destructive behaviors stem from being taken from a nursery situation too soon. they dont speak until they are at least a year and it is now thought that maybe they are being taken from a nanny type situation too soon. any thoughts on this?

You are doing the right thing to research whether or not a grey is for you. I personally think they should not be taken from the breeder until they are weaned, I know some of the members here are feeding theirs yet but I don't recommend it. I don't know enough about it to feel comfortable with it.

Most greys will talk but a few will not so it is not a quarantee that they will.

Some greys will feather pluck but it is usually some reason why they do it.

You can add a grey to your family even if you have another bird, I have a sun conure that is jealous of the grey but I spend quality time with each and I haven't had a problem with it.

A grey is an awesome creature and if that is what you want then you will not be disappointed. If you want to ask any further questions feel free to ask, we are here to help you any way we can.

Oh and by the way welcome to the forum and our family of friends.:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

thanks, i appreciate the advice. i know someone who weaned his grey and it bites everyone except him. i dont feel this is normal behavior. i read that it is almost impossible to find a wild caught congo that presents with self destructive behavior. it is thought that they are being taken from the nursery situation too soon. timnehs talk when they are six months old, so it is thought that they dont present with problems because they are well weaned. i dont think an owner should wean a bird. we want to be their companions, not their parents. thanks again.

yes, my quaker is just a two year old himself. i love how intelligent they are. not just greys or quakers, but all birds. why do we spend so much money searching for life on other planets, when we have such a huge mystery right here on earth?

i just want to thank everyone for their warm welcome. i look forward to browsing your pics and videos of your beautiful companions. look forward to hear the good bad and ugly so when my son goes off to college, hopefully in january, i can get ready to replace him. just dont tell my son that. haha.. thanks again guys, you seem like a great bunch.

Well there is a lot of good, very little bad and I don't think there is an ugly on the site. Now you know you cannot replace your son but you can get a companion that will use up some of that space and time you used to lavish on your son, I think they call it the empty nest syndrome.:laugh:

francine wrote

yes, my quaker is just a two year old himself. i love how intelligent they are. not just greys or quakers, but all birds. why do we spend so much money searching for life on other planets, when we have such a huge mystery right here on earth?

I agree with you on that statement!

{Communicate-000200D5}

Guest briansmum

should you get a grey? they are picky, messy, moody, time consuming and expensive.. so yes, yes you should get a grey :laugh:

although they are all those things they are also so fasanating, entertaining, intelligent, rewarding, loveing and so naturally beautiful. they make you feel so special to be their human.

i dove straight in at the deep end with my grey, in that i only had budgies as a child and he is my first bird, now i know a lot of people say that you shouldn't get a grey first, but i'm so glad i did, i've learned as much from him as i hope he learns from me. i did a lot of reasearch on greys before i got him so i knew he was exactly what i NEEDED in my life, i had a grey shaped hole :P

read everything on this site and if nothing puts you off LOL then go for it, "once you go grey, you never stray" :silly:<br><br>Post edited by: xxbeccyxx, at: 2007/07/04 18:31

Francine, I'd like to welcome you as well. I am happy you joined. And, yes.... by the time it's January you will probably run to a breeder to get a Grey because reading and posting on this forum is soooooo tempting B)