NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

training with wings

leonidas93

hi people, my grey is over a year now and i wanted to start training him. he has not had his wings clippedand i am not going to because i think its cruel and he likes to have a little fly. i was wondering if it is still possible to train him with his wings? im worried that when i put him in another room and start training he is just going to fly around the room and not progress at all.

Yes, being flighted has nothing to do with being able to train a Grey. For the most part, they will only fly from you if your trying to place them back in there cage or force them to step up when they do not wish to.

Are you using a particular room to train in for a reason? A little more information on what you are trying to train him for would help. :-)

well im just teaching him some main things that this dvd i bought show me like shake hands and to pick up an item and fetch it, other things like that. apparantly it makes the relationship between bird and owner stronger and makes the bird more disciplined. im teaching him in a seperate room because apparantly he will not be distracted by anything in an empty room without his cage.

If your Grey is distracted by his cage, then using a separate room makes perfect sense.

My Grey is not distracted by his cage at all. Now if their were other people there, he would definately be distracted. :-)

Doing things with your Grey always builds that relationship.

my parrot always flies to his cage and loves it, he also loves the wardrobe next to the cage and chirps up there all day lol. i just thought if he was in a different room then he wont have the temptation to fly to his cage and i will be able to train him more :) also i have been meaning to ask someone, do you know if a training diet is a good idea? and i am also going to slowly change his diet to pellets so he takes seeds as a treat when im training him. do you know if that is a good idea?

The thing that is going to work in your favor is the fact that they will learn best when they are having a good time, and if they are having a good time, they wont want to fly away. Their ability to leave when they are finished with training for the day will hellp save you a lot of time and frustration when they have reached their capacity for that training session. :)

Harvey does the same! He'll put up with me for so long and then take one look at me and fly off - he sharp tells me he's sick - I've been doing Harvey's training on his playstand - he's happy there and comfortable so he's more amenable to teaching. Good luck!

Try not to be nervous. Your bird will pick up on this emotion and wonder what it wrong. Use your birds favorite treats as rewards, and lots of praise. I'm sure things will progress slowly but have patience and stick to it. Good luck on your training and let us know how things go!