NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

When to attempt scratching Sam's head?

wbaradio

I've read some posts of how Greys have put there heads down or rubbed their beak against their owners to have their head scratched. My wife and I scratch the heads of our cockatiels regularly, but we don't know when Sam puts his head down if he wants to be scratched or bite...!

Sam is 17 years old and we've had him now for a few months after we adopted him. He's really come around, likes to get on my shoulder and walk around the house. There's a bell on a toy that hangs from the top of the cage of his perch. I've noticed that he'll sit and hit strike the bell and as the bell moves back and forth he sticks his head underneath so that the bell scratches across his head. Can some of you share your experience when your bird FIRST allowed you to scratch his head? Did he initiate or did you? What were the circumstances?

My wife can wait to scratch our silver headed Sam...<br><br>Post edited by: wbaradio, at: 2009/06/12 23:19

Most greys will lower their head in anticipation of being scratched as they love having their head and especially their neck scratched, my Josey does it a lot. Some greys will do what we call a "sucker punch" they will lower their head like they are inviting a scratch but what they really want to do is make a bite. You can usually tell the difference by looking at their eyes, if they have their head lowered but their eyes are looking up and watching you then you better watch out especially if they are pinning.

If you are planning to try to scratch Sam's head and neck then take it slowly and watch his body language, he just might welcome it but take your time and let him tell you when he is ok with it. Some greys just do not want to be touched very much and some do so take it easy until you find out which category Sam belongs in.

I also found with Cleo when first attempting to scratch that starting just to the side of her beak was a good place. I approached from the side so she could see me fingers at all times, rather than swooping in overhead.

During this I kept saying "scratch...oooh nice scratch", and making lots of cooing sounds to her.

Now when I ask if she wants a scratch she will assume the position, and sometimes twists into a pretzel if she wants a particular spot done. When she is out and wants a scratch she will spontaneously bend her head.

What Cleo loves the most right now is having the dry skin where her beak attaches to her face rubbbed firmly, and the white skin around her eyes and nostrils. I get a lot of dander off around those areas and she really seems to appreciate it, to the point where she goes limp and falls off into my lap.

You going to have to try and see if he will except it I also would go in from the side I have a 6 year old rescue and I've had her for 2 years now she took 7 months before she let me touch her feathers. she put her head down one day and I went in from the side and rubbed her face the first time it was like 2 secs and then she tryed to bite but that started the ball rolling now she loves it. Sooner or later your goingto have to chance it each time she allows it even if its only a second or 2 shes goin to rememberhow good it feels and allow you to scratch longer and longer and of course the bonus is that the trust and relationship increases also.

Yes I agree with Judy. Some greys will lower the head and "seem" like they want the pet and then bite in place of it...

It sounds like maybe Sam had a prior bad experience and isn't sure about petting. But, with time and patience and once you learn his signals you should be fine. He will eventually trust you and allow you to pet.

Good luck! I know you can do it. You obviously care enough or you wouldnt be on here!