NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Timneh's

Guest sen00fish

Guest sen00fish

I am considering getting a Timneh African Grey. I was just wondering if anyone has any pointers on their requirements (cage size, toys, activities etc..), maybe any links to care sheets on the web, and also any personal pointers into keeping them.

Thanks for all your help,

Guest cyberknock

Glad to know that as I had neglected to ask the breeder at what time ECHO started saying his name. All I knew was that he already said it at 16 weeks when I brought him home. I couldn't remember if he talked BEFORE he got here. He obviously did !

Guest cyberknock

Ricardo, we are NOT grilling you...! Don't take it personally.

We are taking advantage of this post to learn more about when our pet birds do start talking!

At least that is why I posted my comment.

Guest CreepingTerror2

Dusty said her first words a few weeks after we brought her home. She was almost 7 months old. Her full brother from a different hatch did not say anything until he was over 5 years of age. Most things I have read or been told suggested that 9-12 months was the average time for a grey to begin speaking. Obviously, there is a huge variation.

Guest sen00fish

Thanks Mike and 'oldmolly',

I heard that they start to speak at the age of 9 months - 12 months but I must say I was suprised at the amount of words they speak although I am familiar with their intelligience.

I was at a Bird Barn the other day and one took to me almost instantly and liked me so much it left its room and followed me around the property :-)

Who wouldn't want one of these lovely animals? :-)

Guest phishbook

where did you 'hear' this? Some parrots talk at as little as 18 weeks old.

Certainly my amazon did.

Take a lot of what you 'hear', with a big pinch of salt.

Guest sen00fish

I posted it to get some advice, not be grilled by some kid (and if you're not, then I can't see much evidence to see that you are not). I have also noticed a few of your other posts and you generally do the same.