NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Advice required on Hard Flooring

shazia

Hi All

I need some advice.

My Grey ‘Mika’ is about 8 months old at the moment, so still fairly young.

We have placed him in our living room, since this is the most used room in our 2 bedroom apartment.

Currently the living room is fully carpeted with a thick rug, the issue is that Mika seems to like pooing and a lot of the time it will go onto the carpet, so we have to keep cleaning carpet.

I have a new baby on the way and was wondering if by fitting in laminated flooring to ease the cleaning process and adequately disinfect.

Can anyone share their views:

Do you prefer having your African Grey on a hard floor rather than carpeted?

Will it get too cold in the winter if I get hard floor fitted in?

Thanks

Shazia

I have the same problem! But I have tiles and rugs in certain places. Ecko decides he likes to poop on the rugs and not the easy to clean tiles! I am trying to teach him that the rugs are not the place to go so whenever I see him start to wiggle his but to go poop I pick him up and make him go on the tile. I try to keep him away from the rugs but sometimes he will fly to it. I definitely prefer that hard floors over the carpet because it is such a hassle to clean them. For me, the winter isn't a problem(I live in Florida) so I don't know if it would make a difference.

Some components in flooring material give off formaldehyde, especially anything containing particle board or MDF. Glues used to put flooring in place can also give off nasty fumes. These can be fatal to birds within minutes of exposure.

It would seem (after reading Azzie's comments) that the best solution then would be the click-together flooring which requires no glue. I have laminate in my hallway and kitchen - no glue was used in fitting it. I have carpets in my living room and dining area where Beau spends all his time. I've just got used to reading the signs when he wants to go, he gives a little wiggle of his tail and begins to squat but he is very good and can hold on until I move him lol!

Iwish I had laminate every where I have it in 2 of my bedrooms and the rest is carpeted In and apt I can't see it getting too cold in winter and the flooring these days is so easy to install If I where you I would definatly go for the flooring.

Before I got my grey, because I want her to be able to fly all over, I replaced all my carpets in my home with hardwood laminated floors and all the bathrooms with tile. It is the best thing I ever did. The thing now in homes in my area anyway, is laminated/hardwood floors instead of carpet. I live in Washington State so it can get cold here but I didn't mind at all this winter and my house was very cozy. It is easy to clean too!!!