NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Possible etiologies for feather plucking

timotian

Timotian, what an awful photograph, a beautiful bird who has made him/herself ugly.

I would say that you yourself would be the one to offer an informed opinion on the reasons for such behaviour but if you are to ask me I would say it has to be phsycological, this bird is truly unhappy and the reasons behind it must be investigated. The sooner the problem is found and treated, the more chance there is of "nipping it in the bud" so to speak.

Now at the risk of upsetting those who clip their birds (which I really don't want to do as in an earlier thread of mine some owners gave good, justifiable reasons why they do this) I would say that clipped birds are the most likely to pluck. All birds are meant to fly and to take this away from them is almost asking for trouble. After saying this though there must be thousands of clipped birds who don't pluck. Neglected birds & bored birds are also likely candidates for plucking.

Parrots, greys in particular are also prone to dry irritated skin due to living in dry conditions - they do after all live near and in tropical rainforrests where there is humidity in the wild. Parrots living in captivity should bathe or be sprayed regularly, ideally twice a week or more.

Finally, a molting parrot may pluck due to irritation or to help nature along it's way, hopefully this will stop after the bird has his new feathers.

Now I'm no expert and this is only my humble opinion so please correct me if I am wrong.

I believe one of the problems captive birds have that cause plucking is that they have not been allowed to be just birds.Cockatoos for example in the wild would spend far more time being raised by parent birds,I believe past 12 months of age. In captivity many dont have that luxury and are either taken very young for hand rearing or from parents at a far younger age than in the wild.I am not having a go at breaders,some do a very good job but even the best would admit that parent birds can do the job better.Birds learn from siblings and other flock members in the wild, in captivity they only have our very alian guidance.Is it any wonder that some become confused and unstable.Also clipping can play a part if not done in the right way or too young. We expect a lot from our feathered friends and for some it is too much, especially if kept in the wrong environmentand fed an unsuitable diet.I love my pet birds with all my heart but understand that they are birds with bird needs and psycology. I am lucky and touch wood so far have had no plucking issues,I do think this is down to treating them as birds first and formost. Yes they do love a cuddle and interaction but I am far happier with them entertaining themselves with birdie tasks such as chewing and preening and foraging for food.I think this helps their mind set.

Timotien

I would love to hear your view on this, thanks Sheila<br><br>Post edited by: she, at: 2009/06/07 13:03

I think thats better we contradistinguish between Physical etiology (or medical) and Psychologic etiology (or behavioral)

so:

we have two Basic etiology:

1-Physical etiology

2-Psychologic etiology

are you agree with me?<br><br>Post edited by: timotian, at: 2009/06/08 10:03

Timotian, there is no such word as "contradistinguish" in the English language - at least not that I'm aware of. It's either:

Contradict; meaning saying one thing is true and then saying the oposite is true - contradicting yourself.

Distinguish; to point out one thing from the other.

I think you are trying to say that there are two possible causes of plucking: Physical and psycological. Yes I agree.

Well, one possible cause, could be, due to the intelligence of these parrots. They decide, that if they make themselves smooth skinned like us humans, and only leave the head feathers (Hair on humans. That they will be fully accepted in the flock as "Human" and be given the same previliges of full house previleges, no need for a cage anymore (I'm one of you) and look, my wings look just like your arms too.

Do you accept me now as one of you, fully a member of the flock?????? I've done everything i can think of....

As background, I just purchased a VOS (I believe) Eclectus from the owner of a local pet store. His name was Butch which I detested because he butchered his feathers so badly. I named him Solomon and call him Sully. Since being in my quieter less active household Sully has not plucked once. In the pet store he was faced with about 15 or more birds (3 of which were Cockatoos) and it was noisy. Many people came in and out; it was, to be kind, hectic there. Sully is a quiet, calm, lumbering giant. I believe I am Sully's fifth owner, the original who lost him over 8 years ago, the owner of the pet store, and two separate households who both returned him to the pet store for screeching and biting. Sully is a quiet soul and he has stopped plucking, has never bitten me except once in the pet store, which I believe was my fault, and Sully has completely stopped screeching. So I believe nervousness caused by a hectic atmosphere can be a great factor in plucking.

Now my problem is that Ana Grey has learned from Sully to screech, much too my dismay!!!

thank you danmcq.

this mybe significant possible etiology.

I never thought about this but I think this is important now.

I beleive Physical etiology include :

A.Allergies (example:food allergies)

B.Endocrine imbalances especially related to thyroid hormone alterations

C.Environmental factors (example: low humidity,low light, inability to bathe, inadequate rest)

D.Infectious dermatitis (bacterial,viral,fungal)

E.Malnutrition (both through diet and a lack of exposure to unfiltered light)

F.Parasites both external and internal

G.Systemic diseases (example:liver diseases,air sacculatis)

H.Toxin (example:exposure to cigarette smoke and nicotine on human hands)

• 3 weeks later...

As someone who owns a plucking grey, I'd say that there are four broad categories:

-Physical (allergy, illness, injury etc)

-Psychological (emotional trauma, boredom, stress etc)

-Environmental (humidity, diet,stimulation, air quality etc.)

And the fourth one is HABIT (it becomes much like nail-biting or Trichotillomania, which is compulsive hair-pulling).

Not only that but I believe that all four of these elements interact with each other.

yeah,TinyTimneh

thank you

4 categories better than my 2 categories.

but what do you think about A CONTROL DEVICE:

because some owners will do almost anything to stop their birds from plucking.the parrots learn this is very quickly,then use plucking to "punish" the owners whenever their desires are blocked.

OR AN ATTENTION-GETTING DEVICE:

when the bird plucks,it gets attention.so it learn to pluck whenever it wants attention.

which category can Clarify these you think?

Plucking for attention getting for me goes under pyschological/behavioural.

The control device for me I'd put under the physical because it is a physical thing on their body that causes them to pluck (I would too if I had a giant thing around my neck like a collar).

On a side note, I don't support the usage of collars on feather-plucking birds because the stress of having one put on is no doubt going to make it worse. Plus like you said,the bird is going to pluck more when the device is removed to punish the owners and take out their pent-up frustrations and desires. The only case in which I would support a collar is where the bird is chewing holes into the skin because then it is quite possible the bird will actually mutilate itself to death.

• 3 weeks later...

phoebe plucks and if anyone can help me that would be great..Shes been to the vet and shes healthy..Shes doing some better but now shes working on her tail.She dont play much w toys and shes been in a negect home before me.I could not touch her before and now I can rub her head and sometimes her wings.Ive had her for 4 months.Shes 5 years old..She also has a broken wing which happened before I got her.Shes come such along way and I wish i could help her over come this for her..Thanks