NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Thoughts on 'correct' diet controversy

TinyTimneh

Hey all,

Been doing some research because I'd like to get my fids off of the fruity zupreem (I hate all the excess sugar and colourants but it's the only one they eat readily that I have easy access to) and as we all know, seems like everyone has got their own version of what good parrot food is.

Some advocate a majority pellet diet supplemented with daily greens, veggies and fruits etc.

I am slowly beginning to disagree with this because there is no way that a processed kibble could possibly be complete and satisfactory, let alone individuals and differing species. For example, I've run across numerous reports that pellets for many of the Austrialian parrots, like my cockatiel, may be doing more harm than good because they're too dry and high in protein (my vet agrees). Also they may be too low in fat for these seed-eaters and for birds who eat a lot of oil naturally (like my grey).

There are some who advocate feeding a completely natural diet (i.e. give them what they would eat in the wild-- so a combo of nuts, seeds, berries and fruit for example). But then again an Amazon parrot eating this diet in the rainforest may only live to be 10 years old, falling far short of the 45-60 years in captivity. Then again, there are the wild conures of Telegraph Hill in San Francisco who have to been documented to be living approximately 14 years old--if they were to be protected from a harsh winter climate they might live longer than that.

There is the last train of thought that advocates exclusively veggies, legumes etc. cooked daily with a little bit of seed/nuts.

I'm not quite sure which I side with... but I figure this might be an interesting discussion.

It is so hard to feed a diet that is perfect.I feed harrisons plus lots of fruit and veg and some nuts.My tiel has seed along with harrisons and bits of fruit and veg.As you say everyone has there own ideas what the right diet is.A wild parrot has very diferent diet needs to our couch potatoe captive birds so I tend to go towards a low fat option .My cousins 40 odd year old cag has always been fed high fat seed and looks fantastic on it for his age, so who knows, the debate goes on.

Exactly, furthermore, when you think about it, most of the common pellets are some sort of corn/soybean/wheat concoction mashed together and then naturally/artificially preserved, then the appropriate supplements added (the vast majority of the ingredient list on a pellet bag is synthetic). My question then is this: How does it make a pelleted diet any better than a seed diet supplemented with vitamin etc. supplements?

I'd rather my grey ate a varied seed mixture (most of the good ones will have grass seed, millet of varying types, oat groats, canary seed etc) with a vitamin supplement than a highly processed corn (lots of calories--no nutrition really) pellet loaded with synthetic substances. Actually I'd rather feed a completely fresh mix of healthy grains, seeds, nuts, berries, veggies, fruits and protein sources than either.

Sorry I had to make two posts (the forum tends to kick me out if I take too long to type it all).

I also find that most parrots will take seed or other foods over pellets any day. There must be some sort of compromise for how tasty the pellets can be made. Sure their nutritious and easy, like meal replacements are for us humans, but are they neccessarily tasty too? I mean, would you rather eat a meal replacement bar or real food? Personally I'd eat the food.

It's a drag that the higher quality pellets that could be very tasty aren't readily available in a lot of places. (For example, the only other food I can think of that isn't Zupreem or Hagen that I can get my hands on is Roudybush-- there are things like Pretty Bird and such companies but I'm not exactly sold on their quality).

I'd say the more varied the diet the better: Fruit, nuts, veg, seed, pulses combined with little bits from our plate is about as varied as it comes. I also give mine pasta with a small amount of grated cheese occasionally and scrambled egg weekly. In the wild their diet must surely be as varied as it can get.

I also agree with the notion that captive birds shouldn't have too much fat in their diets which means we should go easy on the seeds, like us though they shouldn't be deprived of the occasional treat, as long as it's in moderation I don't see it being a problem.

I agree there are many opinions about what to feed greys. I just hope that what ever everyone decides to feed is healthy for them and approved by their vet and not just because it is easier to feed seeds since they like them. It's like raising children on candy and junk food. Sure they eat, love it and can grow on it but are their insides really healthy??? They might look good and normal but how do they feel inside? I believe Baxter was raised for 12 years on a seed diet only and he looked good when I got him. I started feeding him pellets and veggies and was persistant and he looks much better and healthier today than when I got him. I didn't even know about pellets when I brought Baxter home but it didn't take me but a day to find out. It's not always easy to feed them what they need when seeds are so convienent and readily eating it but remember they are depending on you to feed them correctly and what they need to be healthy. Not just to live. I don't have anything against seeds because I feed them to all my flock daily along with pellets, vegetables and nuts. I believe it's a well rounded diet that is good for them. And for those of you who don't think pellets are important...Please take this up with your avian vet and get his professional opinion. It's better to ask an expert and be sure what is right than to just have a discussion to make yourself feel better about what you are feeding your grey. We all need to do what's in their best interests. Not ours.

I totally agree Erica,a vet is the best person to take advise on diet for your grey,also it must be taken in to account that a birds diet needs may change at times, such as if he/she is ill.I do feed seed as a treat to Charlie and he does enjoy it,he also gets pasta rice,and egg and bits of healthy food off my plate. He loves fish and chicken. I agree veriety is good.

Well my Alfie will only eat a seed & dried fruit diet with fresh fruit every now & then & he looks great and very healthy on this to me its like humans some eat everything put in front of them others are very chosey but Parrots in the wild dont fly to the pet shop to purchase Harrisons or other types of pellets do they as far as i can see wild birds eat seed & fruit so why change nature just because we keep birds at home if you dont like Pizza you dont eat it if they made it look like a cream bun you still wouldnt eat it nature is nature so why change ?????;)

I feed Dayo a well rounded diet that since day one, I felt was well rounded and as close to the natural diet in the wild we can match in civilized areas away from the natural habitat.

He eats nuts, seeds, veggies of all types, some fruits of different types, 15 legume mix with oat groats, flax seed, dried fruits etc all cooked up in a huge pot, cooled and then bagged up for freezing and is then fed daily portions of this as well.

I always have Harrisons and zupreem pellets available to him as well, which he eats a few of each day.

I feel the same way regarding processed dry pellets that are touted as the "Cure All" and only food you should strive to feed your Parrot. If pellets are the path to optimum health, why is it that they haven't tried to convert all us humans over to such a fantastic diet?

Also, if you note the ingredients of say Harrison's, note that those pellets are 80 percent ground up peanuts and sunflower seeds!!

Anyway, thats just my take on all the diet controversy and touting by commercial companies making these hard compressed dry morsels for all our critters from fish to animals and birds for pennies per bag and making a 1000 percent profit off each. :-)

I feed our 2 babies Beak appetite' or Oatmeal with fruit and veggie mixed in, They also get 1 serving of red palm oil for breakfast, they ALSO have a mixture of either Dr D's pellet or Roudybush, a fruit, vegie and seed mixture. They get 1 scrambled egg once a week also too. Now yes I know it's controversial as far as pellets go. I choose our pellets because they DO NOT have any sugars and or artifical colors in them.

Bringing up the subject about what they eat in the wil now give or take we have a dog and a cat. They hav a TON of raw meat diets for dogs now simulating what they eat in the "wild" I will NEVER feed our dog raw meat a good ole bag of Purina will do just fine or Eukanuba too.

I know that there is no perfect diet let alone a perfect pellet. I said all that to say that yes dogs and cats are different BUT can we say that bag dog and or cat food can be considred a "pellet" diet too? I just want what is better for our babies ALL of them human and pets. I just think all we can do is the very best to give them the very best... That's just my 2 cents on the whole perfect diet thingy lol