NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help Please!!!

baz7863

Our Grey is 8 months old and has pulled all his tail feathers out and his breast feathers and the feathers on the top of his wings and back he is really well looked after. But we cant understand why he is doing it he has just started talking aswell but he looks like a scruffy little pigeon please help!!!:( :( :(

Will these feathers ever grow back i hope so cause he looks horrible anyone who has any advice or help please dont hesitate to contact me.....

Hi Baz,

Im so sorry your grey is plucking, he is also very young to be doing this.

A bit of background would be useful so we could try and help.

Has anything changed recently?

Has his routine changed at all?

Have you taken him to a vet to get checked out and be sure its nothing medical?

Does he bathe 2-3 times a week?

Is he on a good diet?

Does he get enough time out of his cage?

Sorry to ask lots of questions but it helps for other members to get a bit more info. Hopefully someone can help:)

When he plcks his feather are you giveing him any kind of attention Like saying don't do that or stop. if you are you could be incorageing the behaviour without meaning too. You have to completely ignore him and don't ever let him see that its upseting you. straight Aloe vera baths daily might help. does he have toys that he can shread in his cage this may also help to keep him busy. are you spending less time with him then you used to mabie he's feeling lonley has anything changed a picure the color of his room a new lamp anything at all have you added new furnature.

Please take him to the vet he may have mites or something thats making him itchy. all illness must be ruled out before you can start with other causes. Don't worry once you find out the cause his feathers will grow back. Is he clipped or fully flighted sometimes a bad clip can also cause this.<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2009/06/04 21:24

Yeah i have read it but ive opened another post incase anyone has specific advice they can give. No there aint been no changes to our house he gets loads of attention if we go out we leave the radio on or the tv for him he is cleaned out every other day and his food and water is changed everyday he has parrot feed and loads of fresh and dried fruit he eats all his foodhe has plenty of toys and ropes and bells in his cage he is always making a noise and trying to talk and same as i said has said his first few words. We thought it might have been because im in the army and go away alot that might have been something to do with it, the guy we got him from said he has never known it for a grey to pluck it normally his macaws that pluck as he has a few birds in his house as he is a well known breeder in my area.

Alfie has not been clipped as we have dogs so we thought it would be better for him if he could get away from them if the need arouse but the dogs love him they kiss through the cage, so if we take him to avian vet they might be able to tell us if something is wrong.<br><br>Post edited by: baz7863, at: 2009/06/05 01:18

The first thing you do when your grey first starts plucking is take them in to see an avian vet for a complete workup to rule out anything physical to be the cause. If everything checks out ok then you have to look at behaviorial reasons for the plucking and that will take some time and research to find the cause.

Hang in there, be sure to read every thread here on this site about plucking to get some ideas and suggestions but some of them are just gonna do it and there is not much you can do to stop it.

Since the bird is so young I would just about bet the cause here is physical. He may even have picked up a bacterial infection from the dogs kissing him through the cage. I would get him to a vet asap. It can start out as a physical reason and if it goes on long enough it can become habit.