NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Beau is SO not impressed!

Joolesgreyuk

Day 1 of the Harrison's

Beau is so not impressed with the pellets. I gave them to him this morning at around 7.15, it is now approaching lunch time and Beau is clearly hungry and has been standing on his food bowl and lifting it slightly and dropping it to let me know he wants something to eat. He was also given his usual fresh vegetables this morning which he has eaten but now he has taken to lifting each pellet from his bowl with his beak and propping them to the bottom of the cage - one by one. Very funny to watch but not when I think of him being hungry. Now, he must get the taste of the pellets as he holds them in his beak before dropping them but he obviously just isn't impressed!

{Emotions-0002007E}

It will take time for him to get used to them. Have you tried the Harrison's Treats. I think they have a little bit of a sweet taste to them and might help to switch over since they look very similar to the pellets. You are only supposed to give them 3-5 a day though. Whisper loves them.

She was weaned on to the Harrison's and loves it. She will eat that before anything else. I did not think she would go for the treats since they look just like the pellets but she can tell the difference and gets really excited to get them. The treats have lots of good things in them including red palm oil.

Oh Beau isn't the only one thats not impressed lol. Ecko will not even touch the Harrisons I try to get him. I even mix it in with his favorite pellets and he picks them out one by one and drops them to the ground! He won't even touch the Harrison treats! :evil:<br><br>Post edited by: caitb2007, at: 2009/06/04 14:48

Thanks for your replies folks lol!

At the risk of boring you all out of your brains I think I'll post a diary of how Beau progresses (if indeed there any progress) with the pellets, of course if there is no change I won't bother posting. I have bought him a 1lb bag so if there is no progress when it has gone it will be back to the original extra special parrot mix he was on before.

Wish me luck eh? Lol!

Boring us, no way, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:silly: opps, sorry I dozed off there for a second:blush: not to worry.

Yes by all means post a diary of how he progresses with the pellets, inquiring minds want to know.:lol:

Days 2 & 3 of the Harrisons.

I've not exactly seen Beau eating the pellets but much of what was left in his dish mornings have been smaller pieces as if he has been nibbling.

Day 4.

I caught Beau nibbling on a pellet whilst holding it in his claw!

Hooray, Harrisons will now hopefully become part of his diet although I will still be giving him a veriety of other options. TBH the pellets don't look terribly apitising to me - I wouldn't touch 'em myself but there you go lol! :laugh:

I hope he accepts them for you soon Julie.

Mine make me laugh, they love to dip them in their water dishes before they eat tham.

I used to moisten them when they were babies, sometimes they will eat them dry, Jasper does but they love to do this.

Its early days with Beau, at least he is trying, it just dosent help when they are so expensive!;)

It is day 7 and Beau is now eating a larger quantity of the Harrisons pellets, not as much as the parrot mix which includes seeds but nevertheless they seem to have become part of his diet and I will very soon need to buy more - a bigger pack.

From my point of view this means that Beau is having the best diet I can give him because he is getting a wide veriety of food which includes both foods that he loves and foods that are good for him.

That GreYt news.:-)

Dayo does the same, he eats Harrison's or fruity blend pellets now and then, but his main diet is a high quality mix from kaytee with seeds, nuts in the shell, dried fruits and pellets. then of course all types of veggies, a little fruit, eggs with RPO 2x a week, our "House Special" 15 legume mix with oat groats, flax seed, pasta of different types and RPO lightly mix in.

Of course, our meals are also consumed by him. :P

I believe the more variety of food types you provide as a diet, the happier and healthier your bird will be. :-)