NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

CAG Fledging dangers

danmcq

Hello All,

While visiting our baby CAG at the Breeders, I brought the topic up of leaving our baby flighted (no wing clip) when we bring it home.

Her comment was that she always clips 2 or 3 flight feathers off. She states this is for 2 reasons 1) To protect us from losing it. 2) To protect it from itself.

I guess she has lost a few over the years while fledging due to them gaining too much speed and flying right into the wall and breaking it's neck.

Please understand, she knows what she's doing (Breeding for over 15 years) and always starts them out in a small room with all windows covered etc. So I am certain it's not due to her doing anything in error.

I was really wanting to just leave mine flighted, with no clipping at all, but now I think it is a good idea to "Clip 2 - 3" flight feathers at first so they can still fly and get all their balance and coordination. I would simply let the clipped feather grow back and hopefully the baby will have learned better flight control while gaining increased speed and lift while the feathers grow back.

As you all know, this is my first CAG and I would not want to put it at risk of hurting itself.

I would appreciate your input on this subject.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan.. there are no right and wrong answers here.. Just differences of opinions.. Why not do a search of clipping and see what you come up with.. There are lots of wing clipping thread you could pour over.. Then you can get additional info right here as I am sure some of your family members will be adding this own opinions..

Hi Ceasar,

Thanks for the advise.

Yes, I have poured over the pro's and con's on this site and several others.

I am going to have my CAG flighted, I have already made my mind up on that. Now, it's just determining the safest path for Him to get there.

I am hoping others here will come forward with their experiences at doing this.

I have read lots of stuff on why to flight them or not, but I am more concerned about the safest path to getting and keeping them flighted.

Thanks,

Dan

I think it has more to do with your envorments. If I didn't have a husband that runs out of the house willy nilly and if I had a larger house to it wasnt so clutter and if I didn't have dogs and to many things they could get hurt by. I would let mine fly.

But I have all those things so for the safety of my birds they are clipped.

It also makes for a tamer bird. I would never let my quakers grow out he is a handful as it is dont want him getting cockier. lol<br><br>Post edited by: Tari, at: 2007/07/01 15:08

Hi Tari,

LOL!! - Now the thought of having them not flighted, might equal a tamer and less apt to become a flying terrorist, is great food for thought.

I do have two Dobermans also, that tolerate my Peach Fronted Conure being around. I am not certain they would appreciate getting dive bombed by an angry CAG :S

Safety is my first and foremost concern. We have plenty of room for flight, but I do need to ensure my grandchildren absolutely understand that they are not to open a door or sliding glass door when one of my Parrots are around.

Thaks,

Dan

Guest briansmum

as CD said there i no right or wrong answer. but if you can have your bird flighted then do so, they are birds afterall. so if you have the time to spend learning to fly with him, making sure there is nothing dangerous about then i would go for it. you can do an excersise where you have your bird on your hand stand about a foot away from it's cage or perch and move your arm up and down, the bird will instinctly flap to keep it's balance and you can gentle nudge them into jumping to the cage/perch while they are flapping. you increase the distance between your arm and the target as they get more confidant. the vet showed me this, and it is what i did with Brian, now he's a super little flier, he has started turning quicker, taking off vertically from the ground and even took flight from hanging upside down the other day.

i dont have a huge room and i had to put away a lot of ornaments, but he LOVES a good fly first thing on a morning, it gets him all excited. needless to say i am very glad i didn't get him clipped

this is just my personal experience, i am by no means sayig this is the best for everyone.

Thanks for your input beccy!

The advice you shared from your vet is a really good tip.

I can only imagine what it looks like to have them take off flying from an upside down position LOL!

- Dan

Guest briansmum

you've very welcome, i hope this helped you with your decision so you know you are making the right choice for you and your grey.

it is kind of scary when they first fly and they are bound to have a couple of little accidents, this can't be helped, it's like a toddler learning to walk, but we wouldnt clip of their toes when they fell :P as long as the right precautions are taken then there shouldnt be any reason your bird gets more than a bumped beak and a bit of a bruised ego.. i genuinly think it is their pride that is hurt more than anything when they take a fall ;) i think it is very important to get used to your greys wings with him/her, you are mummy and daddy now, and what would your babies parents do in the wild? they'd teach him to fly of course!!

beccy - You wrote "right choice for you and your grey.

it is kind of scary when they first fly and they are bound to have a couple of little accidents, this can't be helped"

Gulp, yep thats what scares me, of course the first time my Son took the Car out by himself scared the HELL out of Me :woohoo: But. thats the only way they learn to FLY!!

- Dan

I posted about having the breeder leave the bird flighted a few weeks ago. I then went to the breeder content in asking to leave my baby Grey flighted. This is what my breeder basically said and I will paraphrase:

"Birds in the wild are not like birds in the home. Therefore birds in the home need to be adapted for life in the home and homes are not designed for birds to fly around in them. Greys are clumsy birds that use their wings for transport... simple point A to point B, they're far better at using their vocal abilities and their feet. As I still own this bird by having the greater majority of the price value still not paid for, this bird will leave here clipped. What you decide to do after you take it home is up to you but if you come back here in a year with a Grey thats fully flighted I'll still be your friend but I'm going to think less of you."

So I really had no choice in the matter. But given his experience with breeding birds, I'm going to follow his advice and keep him clipped. Somewhat not fond of this decision but he assures me it will make a better life for the bird.:whistle: I suppose..

Hi Geoff,

Your Breeder sounds like mine :( , set in their ways and forcing their opinion upon us.

I do agree that they know far more than we do about the Greys, their primary concern is safety, but they do not know our home environments, compassion for the baby and it's safety etc.

I am going to let the feathers grow back out and observe/determine what is best for mine as time, his personality and any hazards I might observe as this goes day by day once I bring Him home.

I appreciate everyones input and I do see the validity of both views of leaving flighted or not.

Thanks,

Dan

Ya some people are very emotional about clipping. Even people that dont own any birds at all still have a solid view on clipping. It really does boil down to the preference of the owner. What you decide to do with your own bird is up to you and the opinions of others are only opinions.

Yet all things considered Dan, our breeders both want whats best for the animal. In their experience they believe it to be best case scenario with clipped wings. I believe it to be important for the bird to learn how to fly and that is where my opinion will always reside.

And please people, lets not start another wing clipping flame war.... opinions and experiences only!:cheer:

:ohmy: Oh wow, no wonder I got the - "go read the other threads on the forum about this topic".

No one wanted an old battle to start again. :laugh:

I better go do more research and test the waters on topics before I ask a questions :whistle:

Thanks for your response Geoff

- Dan

Guest Lidia

Danmcq,

Joshua is flighted, and has been for most of his eighteen years. I've only ever had one disaster and that was entirely my fault. He is a very talented aviator and gets real enjoyment from flight. It also allows him to control more of his access to his environment than he otherwise could. It gives him an opportunity to follow me around (or precede me).

While there are valid arguments for and against permitting flight, I think it is an important part of birdness and needs to be developed.