NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

First Aviator experience!!!!!

chimaysmommy

I am SOOOOO proud of our boy!!! Chimay was so energetic when I got home, he was crawling around and wanting to climb some railing that he really shouldn't be (long drop down a flight of stairs behind it). I said to him "You wanna try something new?" So I gathered up the courage and calmly put his harness on all of the way. We've only been able to get up to one-wing-in so far in our harness training. He was not happy about it, and was chewing at the harness when not distracted by a pine nut. Haha

So we went outside!!! Well only about 10 feet out of the front door, but outside nonetheless. He was definitely interested, but I don't know how much of a regular habit we'll be making the harness outings. We rent an apartment and there are several things about the complex that I don't feel comfortable about when it comes to him being outside. 1) Stray cats. Since spring has hit there have been at least 3 that frequent our unit of the complex, some are obviously indoor/outdoor cats with owners but others are definitely strays. 2) I don't know what, if any, treatment our grass has received. Might be just fertilizer, might be pesticides, just don't know. 3) Predatory birds. I am absolutely terrified of a hawk or something swooping down to pick up my baby for lunch. I know my odds are probably slim, but for as diligent as I was being in keeping my eyes peeled I know that ambushing is a hawk's business and I don't trust my ability to spot them 100% of the time.

In the end, I think our harness time will be limited to short strolls outside on my shoulder or hand within a short proximity to our front door. Just don't want to take too many chances.

How lucky are you! You have given us inspiration tho and I've just tried Harvey's harness on again (the feather tether, not the Aviator that I nearly hung him with!!). He squawked a little and chewed a lot, but I think I've got the hang of it. Going to tighten it up a little before I try it again next time. I might get brave and take Harvey outside after that. It's such a shame as here in the UK we've had a such a lovely couple of weeks when Harvey could have been on his playstand "free" rather than in his cage in the garden. Brilliant news - I'm inspired!!