NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

African Grey in an Aviary...?

tommyn

Hey all,

After losing my 10 year old tiel Zack, it inspired me to get an aviary to keep and breed cockatiels. I've been in contact with the brother of the breeder I originally got Zack off and will be getting all the birds for the aviary from him as well. He's going to give me any advice I may need setting up the aviary and any problems I have in future. I was just thinking though, as I have an african grey too...if all the cockatiels were locked up inside, could the grey be let out into the flight to roam around on his own for a couple of hours (under my supervision), or are there diseases he may pick up from the cockatiels? I'd love to be able to let him have a fly around the flight now and then, so hope some how it's possible!

Thanks

Tommy

I think that after a safe amount of time in quarantine that you would have to observe anyways when introducing new birds into the household is over then I don't see a problem with using it for a few hours for your grey and he would probably enjoy it too.

If your planning on Breeding bird you will have to make sure the breeders are all desease free. So as long as your Teils are vet checked and deemed healthy I don't see any problems with allowing him a few hours of flight time he would probubly love it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been working hard clearing out the back garden since I last posted, in preparation for the aviary being built. Hopefully in the next 2 months it will be built :) I was just wondering is there any sort of natural bark or chippings I could scatter around the flight? I know this would regularly need to be replaced. Also, are there any bird safe plants that could be places inside?<br><br>Post edited by: tommyn, at: 2009/06/14 02:38