NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Oasis rescues birds from bad pet store - 06/14

spookyhurst

I thought some of you might be interested in a current rescue situation going on with The Oasis bird sanctuary. Here are the first two emails I've received, and will update as these poor birdie's make their way toward their new home B):

Part 1

cross post freely --- cross post freely --- cross post freely --- cross post freely

Dear Friends of The Oasis...

The Oasis Sanctuary needs your help to get a few birds out of a horrific situation.

I am of the opinion that when a rescue is ongoing that only the people involved need to know where it is so that the birds don't "disappear"....Suffice to say that a BAD pet store back east has closed. I will be delighted to give you all more information once the birds have been moved to safety.

Most of the animals were purchased, but there are several former breeder birds, in poor condition apparently, as well as some small finches and budgies, who need to be ransomed. One bird is an older plucked Macaw, another is a frightened former-breeder Grey. The remaining cockatoo had her buddy sold....She is terrified and alone!

If The Oasis can raise the funds, we will accept these birds. We will get them the medical care they will need and insure that their lives will be far better than they have been so far!!

We have raised some funds, but need to raise another $2K to ransom the all birds. We have a promise of $500 toward the Veterinary expenses and also need to raise funds for transportation.

Every little bit will help. Please go to http://www.the-oasis.org/donatenow.php

If you can use the Google button, we receive 100% of the donation and do not have to pay a fee....

Please notify me if you go on line and make a donation. That way I can tally the amount and make sure it is appropriately used to help these poor animals.

Thank you in advance for your kindness and your help bringing these birds to safety!!!

Sybil

--

Sybil Erden, Executive Director

The Oasis Sanctuary

www.the-oasis.org

520-212-4737

We can always use Volunteers...Do you have time to learn about Parrots? Come'on out!

Part 2

cross post freely --- cross post freely --- cross post freely --- cross post freely

Dearest Friends of The Oasis....

I am thrilled to report that from the Google, Pay Pay and Pledged (mail in) donations, it looks as though we have enough money to get the poor birds out of hock!! PLEASE if you have not yet sent your checks to Charlotte, she is counting on them as part of the funds needed for the rescue!!!

We are working with a wonderful local lady and some of her friends (will give you all names etc later.) The plan is to pick up the birds on Tuesday or Wednesday as soon as we can get the needed $3200 over-night-ed by FedEx to her...(The "bad guy" ended up wanting a bit more than we hoped for....but it worked out okay!)

The Oasis will be purchasing airline-safe carriers and food for the birds...

They will be seen by a Veterinarian for their "Health Certificates"...

Then the birds will be sent to Phoenix Arizona via airline

From there they will be put into Quarantine in the Foster home run by our beloved Tom and RuthAnn LaRue.

They will be seen, have all their necessary testing done by our esteemed Avian Vet, Todd Driggers.

All told this rescue will be running in the neighborhood of $9,000 including the medical costs (assuming the birds don't need any long-term ongoing medical care....)

Unbelievably we have been able to raise this amount with donations and pledges in less than 36 hours!!!

You all need to pat yourselves on your backs.

At this time of dire economic difficulty, the $5 and $10 donations added up with the $20's and $50's....and the few larger donations to make this an incredibly successful and emotionally uplifting situation.

I know that the reason this worked so well and so quickly is because the situation touched a lot of emotional nerves. ALL of us have a terrible pet store that we know about. ALL of us have wanted to do something for the birds who were stranded in these horrid situations.

Well, now we know that due to YOU it can be done!! And will be done again...

Thank you all.

You are my heroes.

Sybil

--

The Oasis Sanctuary

www.the-oasis.org

520-212-4737

We can always use Volunteers...Do you have time to learn about Parrots? Come'on out!

Post edited by: spookyhurst, at: 2009/06/10 08:06

Post edited by: spookyhurst, at: 2009/06/10 08:09<br><br>Post edited by: spookyhurst, at: 2009/06/14 07:15

New update! The birds are now safe B):

Cross post freely --- Cross post freely --- Cross post freely

Dear Friends of The Oasis

You all have done it!!! Just a brief note to let you know THE BIRDS ARE SAFE. Thanks to YOU and the funds you have sent these birds will get a life at long last.

The birds have been were removed from danger and are in foster care as I write. (I am not at liberty to divulge where they are as folks are still trying to get some of the reptiles out.... I will certainly let you all know more as soon as I can.)

Thank you thank you thank you all!

Syb

--

The Oasis Sanctuary

www.the-oasis.org

520-212-4737

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest update!

cross-post freely-----------cross-post freely--------------cross-post freely

Dearest Friends of The Oasis.....

I have wonderful news....The "East Coast Rescue" is coming to a close.

The birds are safe, and all the reptiles and small-furries who could be taken out have been.

So, now I can give you all more information...

The pet shop was located in a small community in Virginia.

The major work for this rescue was done by a small group of incredible people in that state, led my my newest Heroine, Laureli P.

Most of the animals have found wonderful placements (there are still three snakes needing placement.)

While Two Macaws, the Cockatoo and the Grey are coming to the sanctuary, I am delighted to state that all the finches are living in an aviary at a wild life rehabbers establishment, and the budgies have been fortunate to be finding loving local (east coast) homes. The furries and most of the reptiles have gone to Sanctuary or experienced homes.

One of the macaws, Sammie, has stolen the heart of Laureli P. and will be living with her as her companion at her farm-sanctuary with her and her husband. Matt, from Project Perry, has taken a sick little cockatiel but also is available to help Laureli with learning more about large birds....I have told her I am always available to help with any questions etc as well.

The four birds coming to The Oasis will be arriving in Arizona late this coming Tuesday night. I will be meeting the plane and driving them to RuthAnn and Tom's for quarantine and testing by our beloved Dr. Todd Driggers. We hope to have them at the facility a week or so thereafter.

None of us can thank all of you enough. If not for the incredible outpouring of support and financial aide, none of this could have happened. Dozensa of critters are safe because of YOU. Take a bow !!!

------------------

Additional wonderful news....

Thanks to your votes, The Oasis SAnctuary was the weekly winner of $1000 in the PetFinder's Animal Rescue Site's Shelter contest. This will go a long way to helping the Birds of The Oasis and will purchase such necessities as food, medical care and more!

We are #1 in Arizona....but, sadly we are only #6 in the country.

The number One organization will win $20,000 and there is money for other "runners-ups" as well...

Won't you help? Please tell your friends: VOTE EVERY DAY!!!

The contest ends July 26. You just helped us win $1,000 for being a weekly winner! We can really use one of the top prizes but we've been stuck in 6th place for weeks. We need your daily vote to start moving up.

Go to the link below, then do the following:

Enter Shelter Name: Oasis Sanctuary

State: AZ

Click on Search (The Oasis Sanctuary in Benson AZ will come up - that's us!)

Click on Vote

Enter the animal that you see

Click on Confirm Vote

You can vote once a day, every day through July 26.

On the left-hand side of the site, if you click on "Daily Click Reminders" and enter your email address, you'll receive a reminder every day so you won't forget to vote!

Here is the link that will take you directly to the voting page:

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/shelterchallenge.faces?siteId=3&link=ctg_ars_shelterchallenge_from_freewaystohelp_sidetabs

We have done so much thanks to all of you!

Let's all get out and vote every day! It costs nothing and can help even more of our beloved birds!

Thank you all again.....

Syb

--

The Oasis Sanctuary

www.the-oasis.org

520-212-4737

New update:

Cross-post freely --- cross-post freely --- cross-post freely

Dear Friends of The Oasis and of The East Coast Rescue

The four birds coming to The Oasis are safe and sound at RuthAnn and Tom LaRue's home in Scottsdale. They arrived on Wednesday morning. I met the plane and brought them to the LaRue's, where they were immediately put in larger cages, given fresh water and fed wholesome food. They ate like champs and seemed very pleased and curious about their new surroundings. Baby the B&G alternated between mouthful's of food and playing with (her???) new toys!

Yesterday the four were all seen by Oasis' Dr. Todd Driggers. We ran all sorts of tests up to and including DNA (except for the 'too whose lovely eyes confirmed that she was in fact she...)

On exam, all by the Greenwing, Kenya, seem to be healthy (will know more in a week) byt Kenya has a little sinus infection currently be treated.

We have received over 100 names in our Name the Nameless Parrot Contest. Thank you all! Some of the names are touching, others funny, some well researched as to language and country of origin for the birds... Once the birds are here and Staff has had s chance to get to know them a bit, they will sit down and make their decisions. It will undoubtedly be a tough decision!!

(In case of tie, I will take the opportunity to be the tie breaker <G> There are advantages to this job LOL!)

On another note... I want to thank you all for Voting for The Oasis in the Animal Rescue Site's contest. We have finally moved up a notch to number 5. If we can make it to #3 there will be more funds available for The Oasis Sanctuary's birds.... While we have already received $1000 for being number one in the state of Arizona, as you know, especially during these hard times, every bit helps!!!

Go to www.the-oasis.org and scroll down a bit on our home page. There is a voting link there....

Again, we could not have done this without you all.

Thank you so much!!!

Syb

--

The Oasis Sanctuary

www.the-oasis.org

520-212-4737