NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Here - Getting first CAG in Aug or Sept

danmcq

HI All,

I joined this Forum a few weeks ago and have been reading all the great post and articles here on Cag's before posting anything myself.

I will be bringing one home at the end of August or September and am really looking forward it.

I presently have had a Peach Fronted Conure for a year and I must say that was a good way to cut mine and my wifes teeth on Parrots in general. This poor guy had not been hand fed and was a breeder when I purchased him.

He was terrified of anyone close to his cage and of course people/hands.

It took a lot of reading and in desperation purchasing of a plethora of training materials and Parrot interaction in general.

I did find usefulness in all the materials I purchased and in the end melded them all in to what worked for "Jake".

I tried the Patience method for almost 11 months and did have him to the point of trusting us enough to come and get a piece of bread, peanut etc. through the cage bars. But, that was as close as he wanted in the safety of his cage.

I finally found a website http://www.thebirdwhisperer.com a:cheer: and found the key I was missing. It was time to get Jake off his playtop and out of HIS Home/playground. It took several bites as hard as he could produce while getting him to step up on to my finger or hand from the floor after I chased him off his cage playtop trying to get him to step up from there.

But, now after a month of this at least 2x a day for 45 minute time periods in a diffent room, He now tryly knows what FREEDOM is!

I know my CAG experience is going to be a completely difffent one. The Breeder lets us come over and play with the Babies for an hour or hour an a half at a time and they of course are being hand fed.

WE can't hardly stand the waiting period (reminds of being a child waiting to go to Disney Land on the weekend)!!

Anyway, we have been taking Photo's of the Babies each week. So I thought I would post weeks 8,9 and 10 for your enjoyment.

- Dan

reduced_2007_Bottom_Bird.JPG

Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/06/29 15:37<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/06/29 16:14

reduced_2007_Bottom_Bird.JPG

Hello and welcome to the family. I know what your going thru with the waiting it wont be until Sept when I can pick up mine. I agree there is a wealth of info here for some one doing their research. Thank you very much for sharing your photos. They are just too darn cute

Hi Tari,

No name yet, but the cage 36x32x59 should be here today, getting toys, purchased a stand also.

Yes, the DNA results should be back early next week. I have decided once we pick one or should I say we are hoping one picks us :-). There is one that is VERY adventurous and seems to come to me more than the others.

We have been thinking of names, I kind of like "Ditto", which then would not matter what sex our new Baby is. It also seems fitting since it will pick up everything we say, play, watch etc. :-)

- Dan

It CAN pick up everything you say or it may never talk ever. It may be a noice maker. The phone, dogs barking that sort of thing. Or it may be like my Que only talks when she thinks no one can hear her.

Guest briansmum

im sure you agree dan it doesnt matter though if your grey never talks you will still love it all the same.

Thanks for all the comments.

Yes, I will love this new Grey whether it talks or not. It will be unconditional love just as we have for "Jake" the Peach fronted Conure.

They are such a blessing just to have around and interact with no matter at what level :-)

- Dan

Thanks for the comments All - We are happy that we finally picked one of the six (2 clutches of 3, both 1 week apart), Now, the next 6 - 8 more weeks of waiting seems like FOREVER.

Got his Cage up, perches, toys but no one to play with them YET :woohoo:

LOL Miltie - Thats exactly what my 5 year old Grandson tried to do yesterday!! :laugh:

The cage goes from the Floor to 59 inches high and the front door which is about 3 feet long is missing the latch (which I notified the cage company of)and it just seems to say "Get in, it'll be fun"!!

Fortunately we caught him before he stepped in!

Then of course, my wife sent me straight to the hardware store to purchase a padlock as a temporary Door Lock :lol:

- Dan

Guest briansmum

i remember that, i waited 2 months for brian and i couldn't visit him because the breeder was too far away, it was the longest 2 months ever. i didn't have his cage up as the breeder was bringing that with him when he brough brian, but i had bought lots of toys which i used to look at everyday and sigh :(

i dont envy your wait, but it will most deffinately be worth it

Yes, the wait is definatley worth it.

At least I get to see him every Saturday :-)

I may have his toys already worn out though by the time he gets here, just playing with them my self in practice ;)

- Dan