NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

2 Tasks in 1 - Bath and Cage Clean

danmcq

When it's warm here in Sunny California, I always roll both Jake (Conure) and Dayo out in their respective Cages for a good bath and pressure wash their Cages.

Jake loves baths, Dayo hates them but gets them anyway.

If you have the backyard to do this, it is GreYt for them getting fresh air, full sun, a good bath and a clean cage all at once. The plus also is that a few hours of Sunlight gives them the D3 they need and also kills those nasty germs on all the toys and cage. :-)

I do this weekly and normally at least 2x a week.

I just place an adjustable nozzle on the hose, set it to "Cone" and sit about 7 feet away from the cage and let the mist and small droplets fall upon them like rain. Then blast the grate and cage areas away from the birds of course.

Heres some photo's of both Jake and Dayo....

Dayo before bath , chewing on a new toy I built with lots of chewing fun.

Dayo_Before_Bath2.jpg

Dayo Soaked and thinking about chewing once again.

Dayo_Drenched3.jpg

Attitude over regarding being all wet and now chewing.

Dayo_Drenched4.jpg

Here's little Jake the conure with an attitude of Goliath all wet and lovin it. :-)

Jake_AllWet.jpg

In case you wish to get the wooden parts to build toys, I personally use ChoppersToys.

http://www.chopperstoys.com/CatalogPartsBulkPacks.html#wood<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/05/24 18:46

Great pictures, Dan - and thansk for the link to the toy parts place, too! I'm really jealous of your ability to do this so often and for so much of the year. We do have some days up here in NH when the weather is hot enough to do this, and if one ever happens to land on a weekend, I'll be doing this as well. It was 94 degrees 2 days ago - but I was at work...

Meanwhile, my birds will just have to cope with the shower perch, I guess. (At least they both like it okay...):)

I'll Have to Try that as long as I can get my daughter to help me lift the cages down 2 steps. I know Fergie would love it. Tyco would hate it and Adayas cage is just to humungus to move anywhere. Jeepers my severe Macaw would bite as haed as he could through the bars and my Indian ring neck would probubly think it was a new and wonderful adventure. i think i'll try 1 a day just to see how they do

You're all welcome to come over anytime and bring your Greys with you. :-)

Pat - If your Cage Wheels are sturdy enough, you can angle the cage by tipping it and roll it cautiously across and down those steps, rather than try to completely lift it. That what I do to get the cages out my sliding glass door to the patio.

Note: I replace my stock cage wheels (which are more for office chairs and made of plastic)both on Dayos and Jakes cages with sturdy wheels from Orchard supply.

Just find the right thread size and they will screw right in. The wheels are supported by a steel cup with ball bearings in them.

What a great idea Dan! I usually clean Ecko's cage in the house but I could have my boyfriend help me carry his cage out so he can enjoy the outside. He loves to be outside with his harness so I know he would like that also.

I really like that big toy Dayo has, very clever. I think you should enter it in the contest since you made it ;) And what a gorgeous backyard you have. I would love to have a pool like that, I love the sun and love to tan.

Anyways, thanks for sharing pictures with us, we never see pics of Dayo but we always hear about him :P

My birds all seem to prefer fresh cool water from the tap. They will not bathe in a container for example of luke warm water that has sat for a while.

I would imagine some birds have different preferences, as some have indicated.