NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Ring Band

Ma12cus504

Our grey doesn't have one either. I don't think it's that big of a deal. Some have it depending on where you purchased them from. The bands usually have the hatch date on them I believe. Other members here, will have better information.

Guest briansmum

my grey has one but it's pontless now as the colour of the band shows what year they were born in. brians was black but all the colour has come off and now it's silver LOL so it's just really confusing.

The band only proves really ONE thing.. Whether or not the bird was a wild caught or hand raised baby.. It's NOT whether or not the band is on that tell this..

A closed band.. One with no opening like a ring usually means that the baby was domestically raised. Only when a baby is very small are they able to slip on the closed ring..

On the other hand.. My Yellow Naped had a band that was "crimped" on. This type of band can be put on any sized bird because it is crimped around the birds ankle when ever.. It is usually found on wild caught parrots. OR imported birds that were caught...

I removed Ceasar's band a long time ago... He was picking at it..

Another thing I found out way back when I had our Yellowed Nape.. If you remove the band a PET SHOP can not take the bird in god forbid you decide to re-home him... It becomes illegal for that PET SHOP to sell without a band.. Now that might be a State to State law so take it for want it's worth...

Guest briansmum

in the UK it deffinately signifies more than whether the bird was wild caught or not, a different colour is issued to breeders every year and each one has a special code on it. i know this becuse the breeder explained it to me, and when i took him to the vet he noted the colour and code on the band. as did the insurance company when i took out pet insurance on brian.

• 9 months later...
Guest Skuffy

Ive just been to the Vet,,As a new owner...And in the UK...The ring on his foot means hes from a breeder, and the Breeder has a code which he puts on all his Breed Birds, The Vet took his Code down and colour of his ring.If its a ring some-1 has just slipped on then clamped close..Its from some nasty Breeder who probs imports his birds the wrong way..Many questions will be asked if you turn up to a UK Vet with a Grey who hasn't a ring or has a clamped ring....

I had Obi's taken off as it didn't seem to serve any purpose after she had ground half the letters and numbers off!! - just in case she was ever to escape/go missing & someone was to find her and hand her over to a vets - I had her microchipped instead

(should of said that we have had her since 12 weeks - she was hand reared & bred in the UK)<br><br>Post edited by: Jazz, at: 2008/04/09 22:30

Mark many good breeders are not fitting rings, my two boys are microchipped, not closed rung as we say in the UK.Many greys have chewed at their rings leading to picking/chewing their legs & infection.I have heard many horror stories where not only greys but other birds have got their leg rings caught on toys etc...I personally prefer microchipping over fitting rings.A good breeder will provide a relevent hatch certificate for your record.If a bird is lost or stolen a ring can be cut off & there is no way to identify your bird.Importing of greys is now banned into the UK,yes they were fitted with a split ring, this was for sexing purposes.You can fit a split ring to any grey if you so wished.Vets dont question if your bird is rung or not,you will find many prefer microchipping because of the dangers associated with a ring.

Guest Skuffy

I started to read a leaflet about having Max chipped, then i was called in Vet room so i forgot about it.....

When my daughter bought Max, the Bird Man wasn't in, so it was just a shop girl who sold Max to us..She was told to call back the next day about his hatch certificate, which she never did:( ..When i took Max i asked her for his hatch certificate she said i should ring up for them...I did right away asking to speak to "Ronnie" Birdman...A girl answerd the phone,i told her who i was and i was Max owner..She said I'll put you on hold 1 min....The hold button didn't work i over heard her say...Theres a Man on the phone he wants Max hatch certificate...The girl in the shop said,I heard her.......We gave it to another grey who was sold yesterday...Just say we need his ring numbers to check the files.....

Ronnie then came on the phone,,,Hello..where i went off my head saying i just heard everything you said about giving Max hatch certificate to another Grey and you sold that 1 too.....I WANT HIS PAPERS....I went mad.....This is how i came to find this forum..I wanted to know if i really needed them..!!!:blink:

Guest Skuffy

My mission is to find out who bread him,,how am going to do this i haven't a clue..So anu Breeders out there in the Uk who ring there Greys with a Blue/light blue ring with The letter V after his numbers let me know pls..B)

Guest Skuffy

0k. thanks...am learning...xxx...I'll ring the vet tomorrow he took the number down, i never asked him what it was,,,I asked my son to try and read it to me wheni had hold MAx b4 i put him to bed,,,,4666V was what he read out to me..? think he might have miss a few numbers..!:( theres no D.O.B or yr there is there ...4666V Am lost now :blink:

Guest Skuffy

I was thinking of Google.Registered African Grey Breeders in the UK........See what comes up,,then ring them all..:P

Guest Skuffy

lovemyGreys wrote:

if Max is PSUK rung which is the parrot society for listed breeders the ring will have the breeders initals,the year,& a number which may be which number he was in the clutch & PSUK on it.

Guest Skuffy

Oooop's quote didn't work

I'll have a look in the morning, but if its just 4666V<--means nothing....Id love to know where he came from

Guest Skuffy

Doo Bee Doo.Hello...Just checked his ring.....And its just 4/6/99 V So infact he's 8yrs old not 9 like i was told....

If just been to the Pet-shop where he came from to try and get any paper work they might have on him...I went thou all his Bird Box in the shop and there wasn't anything on my Bird....Never mind wud have been nice to know who he came from..No PSUK on his ring either :(

Jazz, I see our Greys have the same name, Obi. I'm not sure if ours is a male or female yet, but should find out in about another week or so.

Our Obi had no ring band, but he was purchased from a private, small breeder who has been in business for 30 years.