NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

"Stop biting me!"

NicoleA

Hello. :P

The day before yesterday, took me and my parents the long tour and traveled to Copenhagen to get a gray parrot.

He is only half tam, but his problem is that he bites you every time you are near him.

He is very sweet. He is not afraid or anything, and he is just startet to say like a shooting gun, and he always says "Jaw" and do like a knocking door,. I had learned him to dance when i say "Dans"(<- It's in danish)..

My sister had been talking to a man who ownes a pet-store. He says that he sounds like his gonna be tame, very fast..

(He is only 3 years old.)

Can anyone help me to let him stop biting?

He sounds like a nice bird. He is still very new to his suroundings.I think his biting may ease off once he is more settled. Dont rush to handle him,just sit by the cage talking to him and offering treats so he learns to trust you. Be very calm and quiet around him and let him interact with you at his own pace. It may take a while but time and patiance is what is needed at the moment. If his last owners could do anything with him he will let you in time.It is great you have a large cage and toys for him. He is a lucky bird.Nothing is needed at the moment except lots of treats and tlc.What is his name? Three years old means he is a young bird so should adapt to his new home no problem.

Thank you for answering my post.

He's name is Rubbi(Ruby)..

I have seen a lot of cages but i think all of dem was to small, but when i saw Rubbi's cage OMG! Ö

It is very big to such a little bird, hihi .. But he like's it :D

Judygram:

Yes i know, but his first owner had mistreated him. Then she sold him to a woman and a man. The man coulkd do anything with him, but his wife couldn't do anything because she had to give him medicine every day, so he does not like her more.

Now the don't have time for him more, so i took him to a staying home ..

I think it will take a lot of days before, he will feeling himself at home. But he is still young :-)<br><br>Post edited by: NicoleA, at: 2009/05/22 16:51

Then no wonder he is biting, he has some serious trust issues so that means you will have to be very patient with him to gain trust enough for him to stop biting. Let him go at his own pace, do not force any thing with him, it may take a long time but I think you can do it with much love.

Yes technically he is still young at 3 years and should take the transition to a new home better than an older one would but having been mistreated in the past makes it more difficult but not impossible.

Have you shared any pictures of Rubbi with us yet, I would love to see some if you have them?

Nicole, patience is what it will take to get Rubbi to stop biting. He is afraid and insure. Just be patient. Talk to him. Offer him treats. I sing to my re-homed 10+ year-old Eclectus. Believe it or not the singing calms him. Take things slow and you will have a loving companion in no time.

oddly enough the term BITTING needs to be clarified.

Bitting does not include a human being touched by a birds beak.

A good judgmenat of the true severity of a bite is encompasses in the question "How much did you bleed?"

• 2 weeks later...

but if you think this is mybe biting please:

Relax:Many birds, including parrots, can feel that you are nervous or anxious around them. This will actually make your parrot feel nervous as well. Before you give your parrot some attention make sure you are calm and confident. Take a few minutes to relax and do some deep breathing before you interact with your parrot. A nervous parrot is more likely to bite. If you are calm and confident your parrot is less likely to bite.

Observe:You must first figure out what is causing your parrot to bite by observation. Do not make eye contact or show any emotion while interacting with your parrot. Simply observe your parrot's behavior and body language and take note of the particular behavior and body language before your parrot bites. There should be something that you will notice that your parrot does before she bites.

Walk Away:There is no need to show your parrot how hurt you are, physically or emotionally, as it can make the biting even worse. If you are hurt remove yourself from the room and take care of it before you go back to your parrot. It's important to stay calm so you can figure out what is causing the biting. Just walk away.

Leave Your Parrot Alone:Most of the time parrots bite because they want to be left alone. If your parrot bites you after trying to take her out of her cage, it is probably because your parrot simply wants to be left alone. When your parrot bites you while you are playing her could be because your parrot got too excited and got carried away. When your parrot bites immediately return her to her cage and shut the door. Do this every time so your parrot can see that you are leaving her alone when she bites.

Be Patient:Use these tips and tricks with your parrot and there should be no more biting within days or weeks. Every parrot learns at a different pace, so be patient and be consistent.