NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

parrot dandruff

Shaister

I have a brand new African Grey (Timneh) who is only 9 weeks old. I have never had a parrot before though I have done a lot of reading.

When he preens, there is a lot of white flaky "dandruff". Is this normal? Is it part of losing his baby fuzz? I have only had him for 3 days now. How often should I mist him?

Guest voidband

I think you received some good advise here. Lesley had sound points, although the presentation was a bit to be desired.

I brought Morey (5 year old CAG) when he was 6 months old, and I now wish I had gotten him sooner (probably around 12 weeks) because he was not socialized very well. He is somewhat well adjusted now, although he can still give a good "PINCH" now and then.

Because everyone's experiences with Greys are different, I would get proof of his/her age, and then consult an avian vet if there is one in your area regarding advise on your new baby. If not, find a vet that has some experience with birds.

You have definitely made the right choice on your TAG. I did some research on the types of birds to get before I brought Morey home, and I was advised that a Grey was not a good first bird. I didn't take their advise, and now I am so glad I didn't. At this point, I wouldn't consider any other!

Good luck with your new fid. I know you will not be disappointed.

Glen, Lucky (mini-poodle) & Morey (5 year old CAG)

Guest twoodruff

I'm sorry if my message offended you. I certainly wasn't coming down on you. I was just shocked that a breeder would sell an UNWEANED bird to someone who has never owned parrots before. S/he should have waited until the bird was weaned before selling it to you. However, if s/he told you that the bird was unweaned and showed you how to hand-feed it, well then perhaps that's OK too. But nothing in your

just ASSuMEd that you weren't, and made the leap from there that your

9-week-old baby bird was probably not getting enough to eat since she wasn't being hand fed.

I'm hoping that he isn't really 9 weeks old. That would explain a lot.

Good luck with your bird,

Guest twoodruff

I can't believe someone sold you a 9 week old baby Timneh and you've never had a parrot before!! Are you hand-feeding it? Becuase I can't believe it's weaned already! My new Timneh (Lola) is 14 weeks old and is not yet weaned; she is my second Timneh and I hand fed the first as well. But I had and have other parrots--you say you have never had any. What are you feeding him? I feed mine baby formula plus mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, broccoli, potatoes, red peppers, corn), bean mix, kix cereal, honey nut cheerios, zupreem pellets, avicakes, nutriberries and parrot seed mix. Mine loves to eat, but she also must have her 36cc of formula every morning and evening.

Don't worry about the flaky dandruff. That could be the sheaths from newly emergent feathers. And misting is the least of your worries.

Have you brought him to a vet to have him checked out? Are you

CERTAIN he's eating enough?? Does he make little chimp-type noises?

Becuase if he does, that means he's not getting enough food and he's

HONGRY!!!

I'm not mad at 'cha, Steve. Just really really concerned. No breeder should have sold you such a young bird, because no 9 week old Timneh should be weaned.

Is there any chance it's not really 9 weeks old???