NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sudden Biting Spree

Baby_Grey

About 3 days ago my African Grey began biting my wife AND the kids when they tried to interact with him, he was fine with me until today when I got home from work, he was at it with me too, I think he was trying to cause pain I ignored it and didn't flinch I let him go at it then placed him in his cage and have left him in there for a while.

I read some other posts about saying "NO" in a firm voice and possible putting my hand up in the stop position...

It just doesn't seem normal, he is normally all over me trying to kiss my mouth and stuff.

Does anyone have any suggestions to this, I know he is still very young (12 weeks, I said something different in another post but I just got his birth cert) and maybe this is just a phase, but I want to fix this ASAP so he knows it's not acceptable.

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Guest islandgirltexas

funny you should mention that. mine is in his 15th week and got a bit aggressive yesterday and today for the 1st time. maybe just more active and curious i should say and just wanted to be with me..not in his nest box or his cage..only for short periods. he was not trying to hurt me..just was very very busy nipping me and tasteing me all over but it could have hurt. He especially wanted my mouth( i kiss him alot) yesterday was the 1st time i left him for about 5 hours after his morning feeding with the tv on of course and in his nest box. he was off his schedule a bit so i attribute it to that. but he will just have to adjust as he grows. i think it is just a growth period..but i am not and expert. lets see what others say. funny we should have it happen at the same time....maybe its the weather. i live on the beach and pressure changes are felt more drastically at sea level. animals are keenly sensitive to this. watching the wild birds here i can tell when a storm is coming on a sunny day before the weatherman tells us..lol like a 2 yr old kid..patience is the key...i give capt. jack a timeout in his nest box if it gets too bad..cuts into his play time with me and he calms down after a few minutes and then i get him out again.

The Eyes Of Texas Are Upon You!!! TEXASF_11-c003eae20aa7f0a9aa0b3f95266d49b6.GIF

TEXASF_11-c003eae20aa7f0a9aa0b3f95266d49b6.GIF

Guest Monique

I agree it is a phase, especially with a baby this young. Read my article on biting under "Understanding Your Grey".

Baby_Grey wrote:

About 3 days ago my African Grey began biting my wife AND the kids when they tried to interact with him, he was fine with me until today when I got home from work, he was at it with me too, I think he was trying to cause pain I ignored it and didn't flinch I let him go at it then placed him in his cage and have left him in there for a while.

I read some other posts about saying "NO" in a firm voice and possible putting my hand up in the stop position...

It just doesn't seem normal, he is normally all over me trying to kiss my mouth and stuff.

Does anyone have any suggestions to this, I know he is still very young (12 weeks, I said something different in another post but I just got his birth cert) and maybe this is just a phase, but I want to fix this ASAP so he knows it's not acceptable.

Thanks in advance,

------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------

charlie has never got this aggressive with me and he is over a year old now,

the only time he dose get like this is when i have a hare cut and this really upsets me because i cant go near the cage for about 2 to 3 weeks or when my hare grows back but now and again i can bluff him and i were a hat but this dose not work all the time,

just a thought but have you done any thing that might upset him like moved something in the room or anything just a thought.

all the best................ceri<br><br>Post edited by: charlie666, at: 2007/06/28 21:03

Guest Lidia

It's just a phase, but it's a phase that will happen a few times, especially, as CD says, when he starts becoming sexually mature. It is also likely to happen when he's about two (the "terrible twos") and will indicate a desire for independence and autonomy. You just have to be patient.

Distraction is a good way to avoid a bite. If he is on your hand, move your hand so he is slightly unbalanced, or swing him upside down. this sounds a little odd, but it works.

You should definitely develop a voice that you only ever use when you're telling him off, that way he will associate the voice with whatever it is that he's doing. When Joshua bites (rarely now), I say "Don't. Bite.", which works. If he is feeling a little bitey, he often says it himself, thus giving me advance notice of his preemptive attack. But the hand distraction thing also works very well.<br><br>Post edited by: Lidia, at: 2007/07/02 16:34

Yeah Greyson is only like 13 weeks now, I tried the upside down swinging thing and he didn't take to it too well, I even cupped his back to support him at first but he went biting crazy hehe. Could it be possible that he is shedding? I have noticed a few feathers the past few days, the really fluffy ones hanging out of his wings a little, just the odd one here and there.

Guest briansmum

i dont think it's a molt at 13 weeks he will be starting to lose his last bit of baby fluffy down, brian had loads poking out for a while, it was cute... but they get everywhere.

Guest Lidia

Baby_Grey wrote:

I even cupped his back to support him at first but he went biting crazy hehe.

Baby,

Be careful about putting your hand on his back until he is confident you're not going to hurt him. This action, although we all do it with our birds (I'm sure), flies (pun intended) in the face of their instinctive response. As a prey animal, the ability to quickly react to being attacked from above is important for their survival. Your pet bird still has this instinct fully intact. You just need to be aware that however tame and loving these birds are, their instincts lie very close to the surface. Try eye contact, a firm voice saying "No, don't bite" (or whatever you think). Experiment until you find a way that works for you. Their personalities are all different but they all have the same basic instincts.

Guest Lidia

judygram wrote:

I am working on getting Josey to lay on her back in my hand

Joshua LOVES lying upside down in my hand, and will sometimes throw himself headfirst OFF my shoulder in the hope that I will catch him and lay him on his back and tickle his under-jaw. Mind you, this took years, he was probably three or four before he allowed this. And he'll only allow it if HE is in the mood for it. He also likes to have his tummy kissed and blown on.

On the platform where his cage is, he will often sidle down the side of the cage and lie on his back while holding onto the cage with one foot. This is an invitation to me to put THINGS on his tummy, he likes to have his toys put on his tummy so he can throw them to the floor.

Another upside down thing Josh likes, is to be taken around the flat upside down on my hand so he can look at things in that position.

I am very well trained by my parrot.

Josie will allow you to do it sooner or later, they enjoy that position very much in play and it is irresisible to them once they're sure of you. Have fun!:kiss:

:blink:<br><br>Post edited by: Lidia, at: 2007/07/04 19:05

Guest briansmum

yes i am doing the same with brian, i have him perched on one hand and put my other over his wings and gently tip him over, sometimes he is ok for a split second, particularly if i hold him close and give him kissed and tickles. other times he just kicks off. lol

I missed this phase with my grey she was 6 months old when I got her.

But I have dealt with it with quakers. Don't know if this well work with a grey but I use the wobble correction. Not an earthquake but a slight wobble of my hand so that s/he has to stop to keep balance. Works well and then they stop after a while.

Biggest thing here is to not react. They love drama and it well teach them to bite if you make a big deal out of it. Some people just sit the bird down away from them and come back later.

You have gotten some great advice hopefully you are now armed with enough info to handle this.