NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Outside

fidsandfrats

I have a stupid question. Often times I will come across pictures of pet parrots that are outside. They don't appear to be wearing a harness, they don't appear to be inside an enclosure and they don't appear to be clipped. Perhaps they are clipped. How does someone do that? I'd be afraid my bird would still fly away as she was such a strong flyer even when clipped.<br><br>Post edited by: fidsandfrats, at: 2009/05/19 17:48

I'm pretty sure the birds you see outside with no harness are clipped, unless someone is willing to risk their bird flying away. The best thing is using a harness with a flighted bird. Some people are expert trainers and train there birds to free flight, but that takes A LOT of time and practice. I would never risk taking my bird outside without his harness. Even if you trust your bird will come back to you there could always be gust of wind to blow them away. Just like it happened to Tui. Have you heard Tui's story? If not look her up on youtube, type in Tui the african grey. Such a sad story!<br><br>Post edited by: caitb2007, at: 2009/05/19 18:03

Hi Caitlin. Thanks for your reply.

I have another question.

I asked my breeder if she spends lots of time playing, cuddling and holding her babies as I am aware that socialization should start early on.

She said that they are placed in brooders for the 3 weeks and they only have contact when being handfed because they are so young and have to stay at a certain temp. At 5-6 weeks they are put in their cage and taken out every feeding to be handled and fed. They are never exposed to outside persons or birds only her family and family pets in order to control what they are exposed to.

She said that the babies are fed by her and her husband and they are handled every feeding which starts at 5 times a day.

Just wondering if what the breeder is doing is standard and customary.

Thanks!<br><br>Post edited by: fidsandfrats, at: 2009/05/19 18:11

Hi fidsandfrats!! Mind if I ask who your breeder is? I had met someone else on this forum who got their baby from the same breeder as I did, and wasn't sure if that luck happened twice or not. Ha ha!

As far as what you are saying with regard to interaction, that sounds very similar to the care my baby received before coming home to me. She, her husband, and her sons all played roles in rearing the babies until they were ready to be sent to their new homes. In that environment, Chimay came to us VERY well socialized and happy!

So the breeder said they only handle the babies when they feed them? When they are young and still in the brooder then that is what they are suppose to do. But once they get older and put the babies in the cage I would hope they play with them more. I hope they don't just feed them and put them back in the cage. Babies do need sleep but they also need more interaction than just feeding time. You should ask them if they give them some play time out of their cage and ask if they cuddle them and introduce them to new things, like a harness or a spray bath (once they're fully feathered).

The breeder I am buying from is in Weatherford,TX. She does have play time with her babies when they leave the baby room. And I will be going over there every week when they are put in the baby room to hold/cuddle the babies....and pick mine!