NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A question about red palm oil

Tycos_mom

I'm pretty sure the palm oil would be good for all parrots. It's good for their beaks and feathers. My mom gives my senegal parrot red palm oil and she is going to start giving the little caique parrot some too. They love it. Especially Ecko, he loves palm oil and toast, he eats it all up! Its just my opinion, I'm no expert so don't listen to everything I say lol. :)

All parrots can benefit from a bit of palm oil but the amount and frequency given will vary depending on the species of parrot. African greys are one of the parrots who really thrive with palm oil in their diet. What species of parrot did you wish to give palm oil to?<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/05/18 23:20

Like I said My amazon My Indian ringneck and my Macaw and of course My African Greys. I just orders a bottle of it and it sould be here in a day or two because I ordered it locally So I want to put my birds on a regular diet includeing red palm but I don't know how much to give my other birds becides My greys or even if I should.

Ok. well I'd have to do some reading to learn about the specific essential fatty need requirements of your non african grey parrots. I have no experience with other species rather than an african grey and pionus parrots, however I do know that Macaws also require and benefit tremendously from a healthy high essential fatty diet. Example, nuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc. I also know a few parrots owner who give palm oil to their macaws a couple of times a week and their feathers are lustrous.

I really can't give you a concrete answer about the rest. I do suggest that you speak to your avian vet.{Feel-good-00020114}

Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/05/19 02:43<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/05/19 02:44

The Red Palm Oil is specific to the African Grey itself. It is a species of palm native to Africa and has different properties than the palms found in south America that the Macaws thrive on. However, the Red Palm Oil is good in moderation (small amounts) as it is fro the Greys.

Other parrots do not really benefit from it and to some, it can be very bad for dietary wise. One thing to consider also is the very small amount given by most of us (10 drops) on food a few times a week.

If your Grey or Macaw is not flighted and burning many calories, you need to ensure you do not give too much too often. It is very high in fat content and could adversely affect your parrots health if given in too high of quantities.

Remember, those wild Greys and Macaws fly up to 50 miles a day.......now thats a need for calories!!

This is not the case for our captive greys or other parrots.

Thanks Dan then I definatly won't be giving any to my Amazon Tyco is fully flighted and active but can't fly very well. and Adaya Is everywhere and flys all over the house. But I will use it in moderation with them and only give them a few drops 2 times a week or so mabie 3 times a week for Adaya because she is a very active baby.

I bought mine online in Canada but I know that their are places in the us that you can buy bigger bottles for fairly cheep I bought mine where I live because it ends up costing me double if I order from the us with taxes s/h and duty and of course the exchange rate so I try to buy from my own country whenever possible. just Google red palm oil for birds and you should get a few links.