NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Custom Made Stainless Steel Cages

lovethatgrey

I'd like to put my 2 cents into this thread. I really don't belive in spending extremely high prices for bird products when it isn't necessary. That applies to large items as well as the smallest items.

Recently, Dan put in a supurb great post and link concerning an area that was being built for greys that came with all sorts of issues.

I think these very high prices really don't benefit greys or other parrots anymore than average equipment is priced at and that aviary was a good example or practicality as opposed to beauty.. All that's being done is using very high priced material whose main purpose is to make these cages and other products * decor oriented* which that aviary wasn't.

A bird feels no more comfortable in expensive equipment than in regular priced equipment. The only necessity in getting average type cages is to make sure that it was built and designed for different species. It doesn't have to be pretty nor does it give any particular advantages to a bird/birds. A very young baby bird will be no better or grow up better because they're in a high priced *custom made cage or aviary. I believe that most of the very high priced equipment is a ripoff. It's made because people will buy it and as long as people keep buying it, it'll be keep being made.. That could also apply to the tiniest of bird products---toys. There are toys that so lovely, colorful and come in special shapes and designs. Does the bird appreciate all of these things? Well, they simply destroy them as quickly as average priced toys but people will run out and buy more and the process starts all over again.

I bring up Dan's great thread for a particular reason---I looked at the video and really found nothing very surprising about it other than the people there mainly focused on environment as opposed to beauty. It was designed to imitate the bird's naturally environment which would provide birds with more shelter and confidence. That aviary took a long time to be built and can now be used to show people about parrots in a natural state. The extra work that went into that design was in the roofing which was made to discourage predatory birds because most will land on flat surfaces as opposed to dome surfaces. That was done to make the birds more relaxed and less fearful. The metal that was used wasn't anything special. It was material that was safe for birds and strength and longevity. The interior wasn't filled with objects that were stylish. It were packed with things that birds have in the wild. That whole project was designed for the birds, not for beauty. The design has been totally successful. Even the food area was made to imitate natural conditions--a large communal area where birds could feed as a group which is the normal way that they feed

The reason it didn't surprise me was because I made an outdoor aviary ( much smaller). The total price for the whole thing was approx $450. It took 3 of us to put it together and the only extra feature that was put in were hinges that made this aviary collapsible. That aviary of mine has lived in 3 states and can be stored away when the bad weather arrives. When it's open in the backyard, I can put 3 pairs of breeder greys who aren't human friendly in plus 3 pet greys and 2 quakers. Every bird gets along. The aviary is also helping one of my pet greys learn how to fly because it never could because it never had any feathers at all for the first 3 years of it's life.

So personally, I can't get excited about unnecesary, extremely high priced items whose main reason has to do with decor. Personally, I feel that a more important thing to focus on is getting the bird to live away from the cage as much as possible. That's much more productive than a high priced, custom designed cage that simply looks good.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/05/26 20:28

Just to expand on the above, my parrots have alot of out of cage time but those moments when they must be in their cage, I'd prefer to provide the very best that I am able to afford for their safety and well being.:)<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/05/27 02:27

lovethatgrey wrote:

Just to expand on the above, my parrots have alot of out of cage time but those moments when they must be in their cage, I'd prefer to provide the very best that I am able to afford for their safety and well being.:)<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/05/27 02:27

Lovethatgrey, it is your money to spend any way you want to, personally I would not put that kind of money into a cage because frankly I don't have it but if you have it then go for it. Your grey won't appreciate what you get because a big cage is a big cage whether it is powder coated or stainless steel.

Be sure to let us know what you do finally get and give us some pictures so we can admire what most of us can't afford.

• 1 month later...

I'd get one if I could afford it, because it won't rust...Not because of the beauty of it. I've rusted 3 powder coated ones...they are crap, but still the ss are way out of reach... glad you can get one for your birds...good for you.

Yes you have to be careful how you clean the powder coated cages thats for sure you can't use anythin abrasive I find the best and easiest way is to just take it ouside and hose the whole thing down In the winter I just use vinagar and water soak it down let it sit till the dried poop and food soften and wipe it off no scrubers or it will scratch the paint and you got rust. you just have to be more careful. I'd love to be able to afford ss but there isn't a hope of that as long as my youngest still lives at home gosh teenage girls are expensive. I still have at least 4 years of her living at home so its PC for my bird for awhile Dave I would love to see a picture of your aviary I would love to have one built for my birds. and if it can be stored for winter all the better since I live in Canada.

• 2 months later...

It is a balance of beauty and long lasting features that most of us are after. A beautiful toy may not have any greater benefit to the parrot, and the same for the cage beyond utilitarian features. Still, we all have birds for different reasons. Since ours are family members we want their environment to be clean and healthy first. When new people come in, they are the ones attracted to the bird cage and they interact and get involved because they were drawn in. My companion pets are not fashion accessories, but I still wanted a cage cover that matched my living room. LOL.... do the birds care, nope, that is for me and I freely admit it. LOL. I don't have stainless steel cages for my birds, but that is only because I want a wood burning oven built into the kitchen. I don't need that either and will probably not get one, but hey, it is fun to dream.