NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

home alone

md2020

My grey is actually very affectionate now. He is almost fully weaned, and he seems very attached to me. He steps up and steps down already. He is very comfortable in the house, and doesn't seem scared of much. He likes my girlfriend OK. I am thinking about another bird now because my work days are long-10-12 hours away from home 5 days a week. He seems OK for the time being-he kinda gets excited when I get home. Over time, I fear he may get quite bored. At this point my reason is for considering another bird is not for me but for him. The whole 2 cage thing would defeat the purpose. He grew up with a caique and the breeder says they will get along cuz of this. Any thoughts?

He may and he may not get along with another bird. I would not chance it, but if you want to get another bird and put it in a separate cage and then introduce them slowly maybe it would be ok. But if you do get another bird and it gets along good with your grey, your grey may not be as bonded to you, it will bond with the other bird. Something to consider.

Yes Judy you do.. By the way.. Look at the two of you.. Judy with 630 plus posts and Talon with 737 posts.. Holy cow.. don't you guys have lives.. :P :P :P

Yeah I know what you are gonna say.. I have just about 800 posts as I write this... but I can answer that question... My Life IS HERE... (small inside joke for those of you that are wondering what I am talking about)

I'm with these guys. Before I came to medical school I had a ring necked parakeet, was out of the house a lot for work, so got a CAG to keep him company. The pair of them hated each other, so I couldn't have them out of the cage at the same time. I couldn't even let one out while the other was caged if I wasn't in the room - so in the end Cookie, the parakeet, got less attention than when he was alone,

I think if you've got more than one person in the house, it's fine, but if it's just you I'd stick to one bird, and just try to enrich it's environment as much as possible.

Julia

Guest Monique

Pet parrots need to be kept separate. If they get along they will bond to one another and not to you. If they do not get along it may turn into "survival of the fittest". Adding another bird in a second cage will only require twice the time from you. Instead of these things invest in an enriching environment of toys, treats, and diet. Add a sleep cage and play area (if you don't have one already) which will allow your bird to be in different places when sleeping, during the day, and again when you come home. Set up the radio or TV on a Timer or leave on when you are home at times. Having a cage by a window is something many birds enjoy as well.

I already had another parrot before I got Josey, so even though they don't like each other, they do keep each other company, of course in separate cages. The sun conure is jealous but I keep a distance between both when they are out of the cages.:)