NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New things entering the home.....

Gizmo_efc

I've bought a couple of new 'toys' for my Parrot Gizmo today, a big swinbg with coconut shells and keys on each end.

Gizmo is terrified of it. Hes a timid bird anyway and usually i would take them out of the cage but i'm going to leave them in and hope he finds the courage to go inside.

Is his the right approach???

No it isn't, greys are very cautious birds and very scared of new or different things. Please take the toys out and put them somewhere close by for him to get used to them, bring them closer and closer until he is used to them before putting them in the cage. This may take several days to weeks before he will accept them.

My Timneh Nelson did NOT like new things being put in his cage. He's growl and scream depending on how scary the item was. I'd have to set it in sight and move it closer every day or two. Then the last step was to hand it on the outside of his cage or put it right next to it. There was no ther way. Then when it went in I'd put it in a corner away from his dishes and it could take a couple days before he'd work his way over to check it out.

Now the opposite is true with my new bird Sam. He's seems to know what toys are and he's right there to check a new one out. The only thing he's been scared of is a perch that my wife bought him. It does look like a coiled snake, so I can't really blame him - but it hurts my wife's feeling though. :(

When you think about it bird must be suspicious of new things in the wild. A careless, curious bird could be snapped up easily by a sneeky preditor. You are just seeing this instinct in action.

Tom