NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

how to choose a breeder

SuzyGS

Hi, I'm a new member to this forum. I am planning on getting a TAG and wondered if anyone could help with choosing a breeder. I've talked to two breeders in Alabama. Both were incredibly nice on the phone and spent a lot of time answering questions cheerfully. The one I talked to today says she prefers to sell weaned birds, but will allow a buyer to handfeed a little if I want to (I don't want to). This concerns me because I had read that was a no-no. Also, after reading some of the forum discussions, I'm not sure if she would be weaning too soon or not. The eggs are about to hatch or may have already hatched this week, and we discussed transferring the baby around the end of the first week in August (the date of this question is May 13, so the bird would be about 12 and a half weeks old). I asked for a reference from a former buyer of a Timneh, and she is calling one to ask if I can call them and speak to them about their experience and their TAG. Does anyone have any hints? Has anyone ever heard anything about Fins and Feathers in Birmingham, Alabama or DeeDee's Parrots in Arab, Alabama? Thanks in advance for any help you might offer.

Suzy

Thanks for your advice. I'm having a hard time finding a local breeder! If I get a good reference, and the breeder agrees to keep the bird 16 weeks, what would you think about that? Also, I'm going to see what the other breeder says about weaning. I just sent her an email asking about her Timnehs.

Thanks again for replying so quickly!

Suzy

It was hard for me too. I am in Canada and searched using the canada bird breeder directory on the net.

Abundance weaning is the best way, meaning the breeder allows the baby to slowly and gradually wean at its own pace by handfeeding and also introducing new healthy foods, veg's, fruits, pellets, etc.

Every baby is different in terms of how fast they become independent and eat on their own.

By making the bird wean faster than it would like to, you are at risk of the bird haveong emotional problems and also learning that humans cannot be a trusted source of food and proper care.

I would never recomend taking a bird who is not weaned.No matter what a breader tells you, it is a very complex, dificult job.I would not purchase a grey from someone who is willing to let them go before weaning is complete.

Thanks for the advice! I tend to agree with you about buying birds fully weaned. I have previously owned an CAG (long story), and I hand fed it for the last couple of weeks. Although nothing bad happened, I don't want to do it again, especially if it's not recommended.

I have now talked to two breeders extensively and both thought 12 weeks was an average time it takes to wean (???). The third breeder I have available to me in this area hasn't specified, but her TAG's cost $50 and $100 more than the others, so it will be interesting to see how long she keeps the babies before selling...

I'm loving this forum. Everyone is so generous with advice, and I really appreciate it!

Suzy

you are most welcome. Do let us know what the third breeder has to say... and of course when purchasing a grey or any parrot, Don't go for the bargain.. I think you get what you pay for. It takes a lot to hand raise these babies.

The babies might be eating on their own at 12 weeks for sure but the breeder should want to keep the baby to make sure that it will not want to go back to hand feeding.

Suzy you can look for breeders by state at this site www.avianbiotech.com and some have found good breeders at www.birdbreeders.com also.

I too would steer clear of any that offer to sell you an unweaned bird, to us here on this forum that is a definite No No, they are more concerned with the money and not the bird's best interest.

A good breeder will not put a set time limit on when the baby is weaned as it sometimes varies, some wean in a shorter period of time and some take longer but that baby should be eating on its own with no additional formula feedings.

Good luck to you in your search and you are doing the right thing to question these breeders extensively.

Suzy I have a fabulous breeder in Cali and she does ship too I am in MA.She sends me videos pictures, emails she's awesome. She does NOT sell unweaned birds at all. They are abunanced weaned. My baby girl is almost 10 weeks old and has refused her handfeedings for the last 2 days BUT her brother is still a piggly wiggly lol. Some are early some are late BUT I know I was NOT ready to get an unweaned baby.

Everyone here has given you great advice I wish you the best....

Carol<br><br>Post edited by: CarolandFamily, at: 2009/05/14 12:35

Thanks again, everybody, for your thoughts and breeder references. I hope I don't have to have a bird shipped - I live in Alabama. The websites given looked VERY professional, though one didn't have TAG's. My closest (and slightly more expensive) breeder keeps the bird for an extra week after weaning, but estimated that August would probably work out. I did really like her from our phone conversation. She doesn't have a website.

By the way, she feeds pellets, veggies and fruit, and very small amounts of nuts and seed. However, Breeder # 3 disagreed with the more pellet/limited seeds theory, although she was willing to feed pellets if I insisted. She claimed pellet companies are just trying to make money with their expensive product, and that natural (fresh) oils from seeds were important (along with veggies and fruit). I mentioned I'd recently read that African Greys diets should have less fat than originally thought due to (I think) heart disease (whatever Alex died of). Breeder #3 didn't like the new studies.

I'm positive that the members here have well thought out opinions on this. I'll check the past forums. Do any of these comments point to one breeder over another, in your opinions?

Thanks,

Suzy

I think the pellet/seed debate could go on forever. Everyone has differing oppinions .I tend to agree with the breeder who feeds the pellet, fruit and veg diet,thats what I feed my grey.I think a low fat diet is best.After all they get very little exercise in captivity compared to wild birds.