NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Parrot University at Hartman Aviary

Has anyone shopped from them? the URL is www.theparrotuniversity.com.

I purchased an aviator harness and the bird sitter DVD (over $50) back before Alex died and I still haven't received the package. I have a tracking number they gave me and it says that the USPS received a package on March 18.

I have been in contact with them and they said they sent me new package since the other one got lost. That was 2 1/2 weeks ago. I haven't received that either, and there's no tracking code to go with it.

This is the first time I have not received mail from the USA, normally everything arrives just fine. Is it possible for both packages to get lost?

If you have any experience with them, I'd like to know if it was positive or not. Thanks!

No I haven't purchased anything from that site but it does not surprise me in the least, as the cost of postage goes up the service gets that much worse. Wonder how come they gave no tracking number this time, I would be in contact with them again and find out something before you are out the money and the items.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to let you all know that I got my harness and Bird Sitter DVD in the mail today. Steve was sending it to the wrong house number (which was actually my own fault :blush: ). He sent the package to me twice with the wrong address (it kept being returned to him) and this time when he sent it to the right address I got it in a week. I felt bad but he wouldn't accept my offer to help pay for the postage.

Needless to say I highly recommend this wonderful man. Anyone else would have told me where to stick my package by now....:ohmy:

The aviator harness looks like day and night next to the feather tether harness which I have. No more nasty buckles!! Of course I'll have to wait a few months before I can try it out.... boohoo :(

I don't know if any of you have seen this bird sitter video but it's really nice. My two kittens enjoyed it too. My daughter and I were explaining to them how one of these parrots will be bossing them around pretty soon... LOL

bird_parrot_4-bc70f661b24092a6ca71dc5ced556d9d.gif

bird_parrot_4-bc70f661b24092a6ca71dc5ced556d9d.gif

• 2 months later...

I just joined Grey Forums and saw this topic on the Aviator Harness. I'm glad you had a good experience ordering through Steve Hartman. I'm not surprised at his persistence in getting it to you or in him not letting you pay extra. His aviary is where I recently bought my Grey, Ziva. I've known Steve for about 12 years, and he has not only been the source of some great free advice on our Sun and now our TAG over the years, I've known him to be honest with folks he deals with. As a part of his socialization of his baby parrots, he has an open house each Saturday afternoon during the summer. There will always be new families bringing children to see and feed his adult birds in the large flights and some to sit in the baby cage, holding little babies on towels on their laps :) Since I've inevitably been around during my visits with Mali and Ziva, to see a number of business transactions, I've seen many happy customers as well. I'm happy to read here that Steve is as generous and honest when dealing with folks at a distance through the mail.

Since today is Saturday, I happen to be going to the Hartman Aviary this afternoon to take Ziva back for some socialization time (with other parrots and with strangers). (Steve offers this service to any who get parrots from him). I was going to take my camera so I could provide some pictures of Ziva that Judy requested I post here. I'll try to take a few photos of Steve's facilities at Hartman Aviary. It may help you feel more comfortable in working with Steve in the future. Steve actually invented the Aviator and its associated products like the Flight Line and Bird Sitter DVD. He is all about doing things that make the parrots more comfortable and allow the people they own and to keep the parrots flighted. He is also all about doing things that help increase the communication and intelligence of each parrot. He believes this is influenced by both having them remain flighted and by not only bird to human communication, but by letting them observe bird to bird communication as with the Bird Sitter DVD (or my visits back to his aviary with Ziva).

I don't have Steve's education concerning parrot raising, but I've seen his methods work and so, am happy to hear that there are folks on this website who are owned by Greys and who are using the Aviator and the DVD to help their friendship with their feathered buddies.<br><br>Post edited by: harmonicaman68, at: 2009/08/22 14:51

"I was going to take my camera so I could provide some pictures of Ziva that Judy requested I post here. I'll try to take a few photos of Steve's facilities at Hartman Aviary."

That would be wonderful. Looking forward to seeing the photos and hearing how the visit went. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I live in OH about 30 minutes away from Steve Hartman's aviary and we are just DYING to go and see it on one of their public Saturday visiting hours. My mom used to work at Petsmart and frequented his aviary and said it was BEAUTIFUL. At the time she worked there he had a gorgeous Hyacinth Macaw which I would love to see in person (if he's still there...fingers crossed!).

We had gotten Chimay from a breeder in GA, not because we had reservations about Hartman but the impression I had gotten from their website is that they do not fully wean their babies before they're sent home with the new parronts. They encourage bonding through the process of handfeeding/weaning while they're very young. I don't at all discredit Steve Hartman for adopting this philosophy, but I felt that given my lack of experience in handfeeding it would have been safest for the bird to opt for fully weaned.

Hartman Aviary is just north of a suburb of Columbus, Ohio by the name of Westerville. Westerville is on the northeast corner of Columbus just outside the 270 outerbelt. You would get there by driving to Columbus and going around the east side of town on the outerbelt (270).

If you get off 270 on State Rt 3, go north through Westerville and travel 7 minutes north of Westerville you will be there. (you turn off State Rt 3 and go west. If you go to www.hartmanaviary.com/ and put your cursor over the words "contact us", you will see "directions" on the pop out menu. Click it and you can get to a map and written directions.

If you have any troubles, just send me an email and Terri and I will help you find the place. It's easy, but might take someone leading you there the first time. Parkersburg is close enough to Columbus to make a nice day trip on an autumn Saturday. Steve has a cookout on Sept 19th that a number of guests look forward to attending. A great way to end the summer open houses :)

Hi chimaysmommy,

The hyacinth is there ... in fact there are two. Patsy is featured on the Birdsitter DVD cuddling with both simultaneously :cheer:

Steve does use the hand feedings to help bond his babies with their new Parronts. He doesn't allow them to go home with you unless the baby has been flying for at least a week. He also does a good job of helping the new owners learn to hand feed. I had hand fed our Sun Conure prior to getting Ziva, our TAG, but Steve still went through the training with Terri and me and answered all follow up questions. We were both better trained by him than I was with Mali, our Sun. with Mali, the pet shop/breeder sent home food and a syringe and said "follow the mixing directions and don't let the food be higher than 105 degrees F". ... that was it :S

I felt confident after going through Steve's training. You would do fine if you decide to try it with your next bird:) and it is a real blessing to have that experience with your new baby:cheer:

Hello Harmonica Man!

I just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed reading your posts and your personal experiences with Steve and his aviary. Next time you go please give him my regards. Tell him best wishes from Marios and Renate in Athens Greece, and tell him that I haven't forgotten my promise to send him a photo depicting my parrot wearing his harness with a typical Greek landscape or ancient site as a background.... I'm hoping to have my new amazon trained in a month or so and then I'll be able to take him out.

Cheers!

Renate

Bird_flying.gif

Bird_flying.gif

Hi Renate!

I'll tell Steve hello from you and Marios the next time I see him :) I'm sure he will enjoy receiving a photo of your new Amazon in an Aviator Harness. Be sure to include some with you and Marios. Steve and the folks who volunteer at the aviary are always happy to receive photos. It makes the friendships through emails and letters more personal :)

Blessings to you and a Karma for your warm heart and enjoyable comments here among the Grey Forum friends {Feel-good-000200A1} Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great pictures and for sharing your day at the aviary. Wish I could go....

I will start harness training sunshine over the next couple of weeks. We had a great weekend in the country and he really liked being outside in a cage. So far so good!

I was watching his training video the other day and saw CRAYOLA the scarlet macaw. What a great name and what a beautiful bird!

Hi All ...I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

Renate ... I told Steve hi for you and Marios, and told him you will be sending photos as Sunshine becomes comfortable with the harness.

I won't be posting for a couple of weeks ... taking a trip to Africa and probably won't have internet. In the area I'm visiting I may get to see some CAGs in the wild. Now that would be interesting.

You all have a good time posting here while I'm gone. I'm learning SO much thanks to each one of you who have become friends.

Jack