NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello

Just a quick word, my name is Karen and I live in the UK.

I have two african greys, Jasper and Ruby.

I have registered here today, as I have concerns about Ruby and her beak, but I shall be posting a thread on that shortly.....just to say hello!!

Hello Karen and welcome to our family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you, Jasper and Ruby.

Now we want more information, like how old are they, how long have you had them, did you get them as babies or are they rescued or rehomed greys, do you have any other birds or parrots?

We like to get some more background so we can get to know you and your birds better and to be of help when the time comes that you have a problem and need help.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads so do read thru them at your leisure and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

We love pictures here so if you have some of Jasper and Ruby you would share with us we would greatly appreciate it.

Ok, thanks for the greetings.:lol:

Jasper was first to join our roost, when a friend of ours split from his wife and give him to us, as he couldnt take him to his new accomodation. He is very much a man's bird so instantly attached himself to my husband Steve. He was 18months old when we had him and only whistled or did the text noise to the mobile phone.

At his previous home, there were alot of children, and they used to poke him, so he was quite snappy, and still can be if your not careful. He refuses to allow anyone to handle him apart from Steve, and hates me for whatever reason, (I think he's jealous as I get Steve's attention). However, I love him to bits and have spent many hours trying to win him over without success. He does copy everything that I say down to the sound of my voice - I think this is to get Steve's attention - and he is very entertaining. He has been with us about 6years making him around 7and a half. Jasper also refuses to talk infront of me, since I brought him home from our holiday home a few years ago and Steve stayed behind. He does speak if I am not in the room.

Ruby has been with us for 18 months - she came from a neighbour who had been given her, but she did not like male company and he couldnt do anything with her. He approached me, knowing that we already had a grey and asked if we wanted her. I went to visit and she took to me straight away, which was fantastic, after trying to handle Jasper for so many years.

They are in the same cage and seem to get on most of the time. jasper does tend to bully her when I'm around, I think he's trying to make a point, but I ignore him and he soon becomes bored.

When the great British weather permits, they have an avairy in the garden so they can bask up the sun, and enjoy the great outdoors.

We do not know Rubys age, but she does not speak as well as Jasper, which makes me think she she might be younger. They are totally different in personality, and even though we call them Ruby and Jasper, we are not sure if that is actually the case as we have not had them sexed. I did get the pack to gather the DNA, but couldnt bring myself to pluck feathers from their chests....poor things.

Hope this helps with the 'Getting to know you process'.

This helps so much to get to know you and your two birds, a little background is great to know.

So with two greys you each have one that is a favorite and that works out great but I am surprised they share the same cage. Actually they probably should have separate cages but side by side so they can still be close to one another because they do tend to be possessive of their own space and it would probably be best when left alone when you go out so that one doesn't hurt the other with no one to break it up, it only takes a second.

I guess if you don't really care whether they are male or female it doesn't matter but if one or both are female then you just might find out one day.:huh:

Thanks for sharing some info with us.