NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello everyone, Iam Sonia and my TAG is Simi

Hello Everyone, I am a new owner of a Timneh. We think it's a girl, even though it was sold to me as a boy. Will do DNA testing soon. I think it is a girl, cuz he loves my son, Nicholas, even though he doesn't like animals that much! Go figure. I have a few questions, Aren't tags not suppose to be a one person bird? Also I want to start training him/her but was told putting the food away after 7pm to train in the morning was not good for a 6/7 month old TAG. But Simi is not interested in training for food otherwise. She seems to be full. Is it too early to start training? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello Spineyro and welcome to our family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Simi.

Only by dna testing will you know for sure whether you have a male or female and it makes no matter about whether it likes one sex over the other, that is a myth.

A lot of greys do tend to be one person birds, they usually do pick a favorite but that doesn't mean that there won't be a good relationship with the other members of the household, it will just be different.

I wouldn't take her food away from her, she should have some available at all times, like her pellets that she can nibble on when she wants as some greys do eat some at night.

I don't know about the training but you will just have to find out what she likes best and save that for training purposes or maybe she could be rewarded with praise for training, that works for some.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads so do read thru them at your leisure and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

I take that to be a picture of Simi in your avatar but if you have others you would share with us we would love to see them.

Welcome Sonia and Simi, it's GreYt having you here!!

Judy gave good advice on the training. You don't want to use hunger as a ploy to try and train you bird. Just use a treat you know are their favorite such as an Almond, Sunflower seed, peanut etc.

I would not recommend trying to train first thing in the morning either. They will be the most hyper then and just want to get out of their cage, play and interact with you etc. It's better to wait until later when the are less excited.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. :-)

Hi and welcome.Dont take food away for training,the best methods build trust and friendship not deprivation which is negative.Use positive reenforcement in all training. What does help is if you find out what the bird really loves,is it almond, wallnut, apple, cheese,.When you find this out that food can be used for training and not at other times. this is very different to removing all food.Remember the reward can also be a head scratch or a treasured toy.

Thats wonderful Spineyro.

They do have a very short attention span as you indicated, especially until they get used to it and you will start seeing their curiosity gain as they become accustomed to training and find it stimulating to learn new things.

Just do short sessions through out the day as time permits in one or two minute sessions. Sometimes you may see that they are not interested from the get go, so just drop it and do it later when they are not interested in something else they have their mind on. :-)