NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Whats best way to thouroghly disinfect a cage?

Guest yuck

Whats best way to thouroghly disinfect a cage?

Using a bleach solution or something?

If you can remember we recently lost Shadow and want to do a good job of disinfecting the cage before looking for another bird...

advice please..

cheers

Ben & Karen

Guest lowang59_98

Ray a dildo is the thing that is stuck up your butt. Which is currently sticking out the front of your face. Get some baby wipes dude. You need to wipe the crap off of your face.

Guest lowang59_98

I do all my cages once a week in the bath tub. I take out all the toys and soak the cage for about an hour rotating it so that the whole cage gets soaked. Then I take a scrub brush inside and out then let the shower rinse them off and set them out in the sun to dry. After about an hour, I make sure there is no water spots left by wiping it down with a dry towel and leaving it in the sun for another 15 minutes. It works really well for me cause while it is soaking I can be doing something else.

Hope this helps ya.

Guest phishbook

bird in his cage. Do you actually know what he died of? If he had pdd or pbfd for instance, the virus will be in your home, in the fabric, in the cracks between the skirting board and wall etc.

Also a cage which was large enough for a timneh will not be large enough for a DYH.

If you insist on risking the new bird in the old cage, then I suggest you take it outside, strip it down, wash with a strong bleach solution, then hose it down well, then steam clean it, then spray with a solution of F10 which you can buy from interhatch.

Guest lowang59_98

Wow, you sure do love your little babies. I have a friend that was doing the same thing and they recommended one of those small steam cleaners. They saved hours cause all they would have to do is run the steam cleaner from top to bottom on the bars. They also said another good thing about it was that it killed any bacteria without using cleaners. I was thinking of getting one for my cages, but I just use the bath tub and plain old florida sunlight.

Guest lowang59_98

Because I constantly get criticized by you people, so I have been in a criticizing mode for the last 3 weeks. Sorry, don't mean to be. But you people are sure evil about the way you talk to people, especially me.

Guest Miandruil

I may be a little paranoid here but once a week I wash down Cyndr's cage with a disinfectant and hot water. Then I go over it with a steamer making sure all the soap is gone. Then I let it dry completely before he returns to his cage. This is not an easy task do to the fact he has a cage that is floor to ceiling and about 4 feet wide. He's more than worth it though. Same goes for his toys and his perches. Bowls are cleaned daily with hot soapy water and lots of rinsing and dried completely before puting food/water in them.

He unfortuantely had a degenerative vascular brain disease, probably genetic from what the Vet said :-(

We are obviously wary about using the same cage which is why I was asking about doing it properly but we still may opt for a new one anyway....

thanx for the help.

Karen & Ben

ps. He wasnt a TAG but a luvly CAG (big bugger too :-)) and Im sure the cage is big enough (biggest we could find...)

Guest John Myers

Tony, you should bleach your mouth out at least twice a week!

I think your god would be proud and he might even forgive you for some of the nasty things you have posted.

Whats a dildo Tony?

Guest lowang59_98

You have never heard of using a steam cleaner to disinfect? Hot steam is the best disinfectant out there. It kills germs, viruses, and bacteria. It also kills mites, and other smaller insects that may plague your cages. It gets dried stuck on poop off the bars in an instant, and there isn't the mess of pulling out a bucket and scrubbing all the bars down. Just steam and wipe.

Don't believe me, here are some links to read.

http://www.vaporsteamcleanusa.com/faqs.html

http://www.asiaticparrots.com/APA_Ezine%28P.20%29%20Biosafety.htm

Steam cleaning is also used in hospitals, animal clinincs and other places that require areas to be disinfected.