NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Just adopted one.

vietnow

I lost my bird 2 months ago, and now a person near my home gave me hers she could not have it any more in the apt.

I would like to know what is the best thing I should do she was most of the time outside so he never cover her.

She is on the cage now at my home, and she started to whistle a single whistel. Now should I just leave her alone so she can get use to the place? Should I cover part of her cage?

Please let me know thanks.

Hi vietnow, welcome to the family. I sorry that you lost your former bird, do you mean it flew away and was it an African Grey? Regardless, congratulations on your new bird. I am assuming your new bird is an african grey. When you say the bird was most of the time outside, what do you mean? Outside her cage? Or outside the house/apartment in a cage? Did the former owner cover the cage at night? You need to give us a little more information please. What is your grey's name and how old is it? Sorry for all the questions, but it helps to know the background of a grey so that some of the experienced members can try and help you.

Sorry, It is an african gray name niko. The bird spent most of its time outside the apt in a cage.

I put in the cage and I guess it wanted to come out so I open the cage and it came to my hand.

I was also able to give seeds from my hand to it.

The bird was cover at night to sleep, should I leave the bird inside the cage for now or leave it out... Sorry bout the confusion thanks.<br><br>Post edited by: vietnow, at: 2009/05/07 03:19

Allow Niko to come out and spend time outside the cage when you are at home but when you leave or at night while you are in bed close Niko in the cage.

Leave the cage uncovered if that is the way it has always been for her.

Do you know what to feed Niko? Please look thru the bird food room for threads that give the foods you should be giving her for proper nutrition.

Thats great that you could take in this bird in need of a good home but what kind of bird did you have before and when you say you lost it do you mean it died or it flew away?

I had an african gray before for 4 years and she got scared and flew off.

Now when she is in the cage she keeps whisteling so I can take her out, is that normal? Because mine did not do that.

When you are home you can have Niko outside the cage with you. But like Judy said at night time place her in her cage and cover it if that is what she is use to. If she steps up for you already then it sounds like you are going great. If you want to take Niko out of her cage you should. If you have any pictures of Niko, we would love to see them.

Whistling to get you to let them out is a very normal thing for a grey to do along with pacing back and forth and climbing around their cage.

if nikko wants out that bad to be with you, by all means let him out.

He sounds like a wonderful Grey. :-)

My bird whistles for me like he is calling a dog everytime I walk out of the room lol so I think it is pretty normal. He wants me around 24/7 so I think they all have different personalities. Some are a little more clingy than others maybe. I feel like an abusive owner because I have to leave and go to work during the day :( He always acts so sad and mad when I go!

Im beign able to get him out, but if i try to pet him he gets afraid, he does not bite but is afraid...

Also what was weird is last night he left me scratch hes neck and today I tried and he is afraid lol.

Just give him time some greys like affection when they are a little sleepy and its close to bedtime I know my grey doesn't like me to touch her to much during the day except to step up but as far as scritches and pets go she only wants them just around bedtime and then she can't seem to get enough and will sit there and let me scritch her head and neck all night if I let her.

vietnow wrote:

Im beign able to get him out, but if i try to pet him he gets afraid, he does not bite but is afraid...

Also what was weird is last night he left me scratch hes neck and today I tried and he is afraid lol.

You need to give him more time, greys are very cautious creatures and do not accept change easily so take it slowly.

Sometimes they welcome scratches and sometimes not, you have to be respectful of his wishes and Pat is right about most of them usually are more receptive of it at night before going to bed.

The important thing is to learn to read his body language so you will see the signs of biting and other behaviors so you can avoid getting bitten, but patience is key to developing a good relationship with your grey also.