NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Birdie Menu

splint101

Hi family members, I just want to start a tread about the menu of your grey. I don’t know if there is a tread like this. Just want to get more ideas etc to feed greys. But here is what Max’s menu is at this moment.

Morning : Fresh Water

Oats

Seed & Pellet mix

Fruits & Veggies = Apple, Grapes, Naartjie, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Green Beans, Sliced Carrots.

Evening : Fresh Water

Cooked / Smashed Carrots & Potatoes

Treats

Thanks to all that is going to reply.

Athena is 16 weeks and I try to change out her foods every day with something new/different. Here is what we try:

Morning:

10-20 cc's of hand feeding formula

Seed/pellet mix

Fresh water

Evening:

A couple of fruits: tangerines, strawberries, cantaloupe, honeydew, kiwi, mangos, oranges, banannas (she really likes the sweeter fruits.)

A couple of fresh veggies: Kale, Chard, cucumber, broccoli, asparagus, mung bean sprouts, carrots, tomatoes

fresh water

She isn't really interested in "treats" per se but she definitely has some favorite foods, so sometimes I give her those separately as "munchies."

She especially likes strawberries, asparagus and sprouts. I think she would eat them every day if she could!

Strawberries, asparagus and sprouts are all good, feed every day if you like.

Splint101 I would go easy on the seeds, use them as treats and encourage the pellets. I suggest Harrison's High Potency pellets, my vet recommends these, they are the best for greys.

Also offer some of what you are eating for the evening meal. Most anything you have is ok except for the forbidden foods which is listed in another topic on this forum.

judygram wrote:

Splint101 I would go easy on the seeds, use them as treats and encourage the pellets. I suggest Harrison's High Potency pellets, my vet recommends these, they are the best for greys.

The thing is we dont have Harrison's parrot food here in South Africa. But he is on Avi-plus pellets.

Bekkie loves greenbeans and carrots(raw) She also loves to eat oats. I also give her the treats(snacks) but she does'nt like the nuts that are in it, exept the peanuts, that she likes. Dried fruit is also a favourite of her. Of course we also give her the parrot food that you buy. ;)

Guest briansmum

i couldn't give you a menu as brians food list changes daily, and some days he will eat more than others. he has a ready supply of harrisons high potency pellets in his bowl and his regular fresh foods are carrots, baby sweetcorn (he preferrs these to normal sized sweetcorn)sugar snap peas (in the pods), kale, spring greens, potato (mashed), apple, melon, banana, grapes (his ultimate favourite) and have recently tried blueberries, which he also loved. he then has bits of what we eat and dried fruit for treats.

it doesnt seem like a really wide variety at the moment, but considering he is only 4 and a half months old i think it's pretty good he will eat all of that willingly. i try to add at least one new food a week. last week it was bluebarries and kale. and this week it will be oven roasted butternut squash.

I also forgot to add that Athena also eats from our plates. She just gets a little food and we've been trying to teach her to eat on her own plate, but at least she's sharing mealtime with us. She went nuts this past weekend over a piece of pepperoni! (a small one, mind you!)

Guest briansmum

i was told as long as you remove all stems and seeds.. so basically just give the harder outside of the tomato not the soft bit in the middle, it is fine in small quantities.

I didn't know about the tomatos either. I gave Gina homemade lasagna the other night that was loaded with tomato sauce and stewed tomatos.

And zandische, I gave Gina some fresh chopped garlic the other day and she loved it. I just gave her small pieces so she wouldn't go overboard