NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Thinking about a girlfriend for Zico

zicodee

Im thinking about getting another CAG, a girlfriend for Zico. I would quite like to get another very young bird so they can grow up together. Zico will be 1 in August.

Should I wait or go for it?

Is there anything I should know about introducing a new bird, and what would you say is the best method to do so?

Firstly you would need to keep them in separate cages at the start and slowly introduce them. They would need everything separate, ie, food bowls etc. There is no guarantee they will get on, but the chances are very high when they are so young.

If you get a new bird you would have to make sure that you do everything for Zico first and the new bird second. Zico has to know he is number one bird. This is a very important thing to remember.

When you first introduce them outside the cage you will need to supervise them to make sure there is no fighting. You might see some interactin that looks like fighting, like beak clashing which is normal, just make sure they don't harm each other.

Introduce them slowly and don't rush it. It depends what you want to achieve, do you have the goal to have them in the same cage, or separate cages and just playing outside the cage together?

Our goal when we got a girlfriend for Rangi was to have them in the same cage and it took us about 3 months to achieve this and have them comfortable with each other. They are now bonded to each other, but also bonded to us.

I have lots of differnt speicies of bird I never introduced my birds to each other so to speak they all get along and are one big flock but they made the choice to introduce themselves to one another I never put to birds together on another birds private domain they usually introduced themselve on the playstand or boing or something like that putting a bird on another birds cage is just asking for trouble. unless the bird is invited they will not be welcome there but there is a good chance they will become friends so if you want another bird then I say go for it.<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2009/05/05 19:59