NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

how to get rid of cigarette smoke smell on bird

dkg362

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and just rescued a timneh african grey named Clyde tonight from a bad situation. The home he was in was filthy (shockingly so) and was filled with chain-smokers. He was kept in a dark room (walls painted dark purple) with the curtains drawn and a dark blanket over most of his cage with a small light on in the room. He was fed seeds, hamburger and sausage. I was told he is 8-10 years old.

Even though he attempted to take a few chunks out of my hand, I couldn't get him out of there fast enough. Surprisingly, he isn't plucking (at least not where I can see without examining him more closely), but his feathers are fairly ratty looking and he absolutely reeks of cigarette smoke. Even the white area around his eyes have a yellowish tinge and the skin on his feet look awful.

When I got him home, I let him hang out in the travel cage outside with me while I scrubbed down his cage (it was gross). I've cleaned everything I can... except him. What can I do to help him out? I'm already planning on starting to mist him with a water bottle tomorrow and taking him outside when the weather is decent, but is there anything else I can do to help the process along?

I will, of course, be taking him to see my avian vet asap. He is currently quarantined in my guest bedroom, as I do not want to spread anything he might have to my two birds (a cockatiel and a nanday conure).

Amazingly enough, he seems to be adjusting well so far. No biting since I brought him home and he's been stepping up for me and even asked me for neck scritches!

Any pointers you might have, please pass them my way! I'm in unfamiliar territory here. Thanks!

Dawn

Congrats on getting the TAG out of the hell hole.

Once or twice a year ( depending upon surronding humidity in the bird area) your bird will molt his feathers. Just about any feather that had any odor embedded will be lost. They are immediately replaced. What won't be lost are the flight feathers and tail feathers. They fall out at different times when the feather's blood supply dries up. There is no particular time for them to fall out 2 here 2 or 3 there during the year. They're immediately replaced by a fresh new clean feather. The same applies to tail feathers. What's in the bird's favor is that cigarette smell can't soak into flight and tail feathers. They have a natural waterproof oil on them. You can continue misting cause whether the bird smells or not, it always needs a bath. All greys do. Please make sure that no chemicals are used to remove the odor.

Now, as far as the eyes, what you're is is a yellow pigmentation that signifies that the bird is a full adult. The eyes aren't tobacco stained so don't worry about that.

PS--are you referring to the white around the black pupil of the eye? That's what I was referring to.

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/05/05 06:13

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/05/05 06:15<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/05/05 06:18

Poor bird but if he's stepping up and settlng well he probubly wasn't abused even thought the house was dirty you cannot judge how they treated the bird no they should not be smoking around the bird but if it was in a separat room mabie it was their way of trying to keep yhe ciggerates away from him. he not plucking either which is a good sign. Some people trully love their animal but have no idea how to clean and keep a house or their pet clean and sanitary they do what they can to still love them and take care of them. I'm not defending them in any way I just saying that the bird sound like he's fairly happy and well adjusted for living in those conditions and that has to come from some kind of decent treatment and love. I don'thin that an abused bird would allow you to touch himin anyway until he learned to trust again. It took me 7 months to be able to touch Tyco anywhere on her feathers and she would no way step up onto my hand the only way I could move her from place to place was with a stick she would step up onto that but even that took a good couple of weeks.

Welcome Dawn!

It's always GreYt to read of a rescued bird being taken in. It sounds like your on the right track and that TAG is going to love his new home.

Karma to you for doing such a wonderful thing. :-)

Dave, thanks so much for that info. I was afraid I'd have to wait until he molted again and that confirms it. Until then, I'll just keep misting him and taking him outside in a carrier to "air out".

I haven't seen him preen himself once yet, so I'm keeping an eye on that.

I was actually talking about the white skin area around their eyes, not the area around the pupils. :-)

Would someone be able to post a close up photo of their grey's feet, by any chance? His don't look good to me, but I don't know what is normal for greys.

Dawn

Hi Tycos_mom,

You are correct - Clyde was not abused physically or emotionally. His owner was in tears when I took him away last night (he was rehoming him because he has cancer). I didn't mean that the bad situation was abusive, I was referring to his health.

He definitely sounds like he has respiratory issues, as I can hear a bit of a raspy sound when he breathes. He also has a head twitch that he seems to do every few seconds. His feathers are in poor condition, but he DOES still have them, so that's a major plus.

I'm attempting to gradually introduce him to some healthier foods (starting with organic pellets and bits of whole grain crackers). Since I know he's eaten spaghetti before, I may try making that with some canned pumpkin instead of tomato sauce (we'll see if I can fool him into trying it).

He really is being a good boy and is whistling for me and stepping up well. I'm thankful that the behavior issues aren't bad, since I've been through that before with another rescue. You're right, it takes a long time to gain their trust. He seems to be trusting me right from the start, which I'm thrilled about!

Dawn

Thanks Dan - that was quick!

His feet definitely don't look like that. They are pretty dark, almost "blackened". And the bottoms look pretty callused. I'm a little worried because they only had one wooden perch for him, so I know his feet are likely not in great shape. We'll see what the vet says.

When I get home from work tonight, I'll see if I can get a close up photo of his feet to see what you all think.

Thanks!

Dawn

ok I do not want to over step but I recently read that you can you use a light mixture of Dawn dish soap and water. PLease research this as I am not a expert and dont want to cross any lines. But I do know they use dawn for birds after oil spills and recently read where a grey fell into a cold pan of oil and this is what was suggested to clean her up.

God bless you for saving this baby from where he was and I am so glad hes interacting with you , he just wants to be loved!

I just wanted to let you know that a good bath or two will but his feathers right as rain I rescued a Severe Macaw and his feathers were in extreamy ratty condition when I brought him home within a few days of bathing him he looked like a different bird

heres some pictures.

GetAttachment.jpg

GetAttachment1.jpg

The ones above are him before I got him

they where sent to me by Email

HPIM3041.jpg

the picture above is within the first week after a couple of baths

GizmoFeb17th2009001.jpg

30403049-1.jpg

The ones above are while he was starting to molt and had a few new feathers

I haven't got any real resent picture now that he has finished his molt but I must say he is one gorgous bird. Istill can't touch him he came to me with really big cage bound issues we will get there.

I Would say to put him in the bath tub with about 2 inches of water and let the shower pour down for quite some time the nicotine may be poisonous to him so you don't wantto just mist him alittle you'll want to get alot of that off of him first a little Dawn dish soap can be used but you have to make sure you rince him really well.

Wow Pat, what a difference! I'm amazed at how different he looked in one week. I have to say, I was very tempted to try him in the shower this morning, but I don't want to traumatize him either. He's already going through a lot of changes - I'm worried about throwing too much at him at once.

I went to the vet's office at lunch and talked to them about the situation. They'd like me to do nothing but starting to mist him until they can examine him to see what his condition is. The soonest I could get him in is Thursday morning, so I'll have to be patient until then.

I'm very grateful for all of your input. This all happened so fast (got the call Sunday night and picked him up the next night) and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. I hope I'm not in over my head. And while I'm concerned about him, I'm also worried about my other two birds catching anything he might have. I'll feel better once he goes to the vet and we have some test results, so I know what I'm dealing with.

Thanks!

Dawn

Sounds like you are really doing great with him already and are on the right track to getting him healthy and happy again. The raspy sound when he breathes will definitely need to be checked out, that could be a serious problem, but your vet will be able to figure that out. I think you are truly wonderful for taking on this challenge and helping out a bird that really needed you.

• 3 years later...

The most effective with regard to the smell of tobacco is a strong oxidant. Ozone is the strongest oxidant, leaving no odor, color stains and harmful to humans and animals of chemical compounds. With domestic air ozone generator can effectively deal with the smell.

Thank you for rescuing this grey. You're right not to expose him to too much new too soon. After all, you know these changes are only good and in his best interest, but he only knows his whole universe is in upheaval. Be cautious when taking him outside. Make sure most of his cage is under shelter and that only a part is exposed to the sky so that he can feel safe. Otherwise the difference between his previous dark, enclosed space and the whole scary sky will be a big shock. Even if he doesn't get any direct sun exposure right away, the fresh air will be a good start. Looking forward to hearing what the vet thinks about his condition and hoping there isn't any permanent damage from his previous home.

Sounds like your doing well I cant offer advice I'm only into my first year of owning CAG and learning everyday, but was great reading your posts look forward to seeing some pictures and hope vet check goes well for you both