NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The "Never-Been-Bitten" Club

LindaMary

Hey all, I know there are some of you who say you have never been bitten by your parrots. I for one would like to know what you're doing that's special! So...

Who's in this club? (I confess that, sadly, I am not!):whistle:

It depends what you mean by biten I have been bitten By Tyco but she has never drawen blood amazingly not with her beak at least her claws are a totaly differnt thing when she holds on she does it very tightly and my arms have poured blood because of it

Well now here is a club I can join as Josey has never bitten me, she does gently nudge or beak me sometimes but as far as a true bite, never.

I don't know that I am doing anything special, I think it has mostly to do with her disposition, I got lucky when I got her, some greys are quick to bite and some aren't. She has her ways of telling me she doesn't like something I am doing with or to her and I respect her body language but she is fairly easygoing. I truly don't know what a grey bite feels like but I am willing to take other's word for it.

Now my sun conure can and does bite me sometimes as she can be nippy and she has a quick temper but she has never broken flesh or brought blood.

Can I be a member of both clubs? Rigel is prone to biting every now and then, but Sierra has never bitten anyone. I treat them both the same, so as Judy said, it's more about the individual parrot's disposition than anything.

Ecko has never biten me either but he is only a baby so I don't expect him to. I am hoping I can make him stay this way lol. I will continue to love him and be gentle with him so he doesn't want to bite me.

My senegal parrot on the other hand is a different story. She bit me so hard that it drew blood. And this was a kind of bite where she latched onto my finger and didn't let go. I had to shake her off. It was the worst bite I got from a bird ever and I was scared of her for a while. Now she loves me and will only let me touch her. My mom can't even go near her anymore and she was the one who raised her.

This is her puff up stance and when she is about to bite. I know when to stay away from her now. haha

SDC10859.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: caitb2007, at: 2009/05/04 22:02

I don't know anything about Senegals except they seem to have evil looking eyes, at least the ones I have seen have them. I would be leary of that bird in the pic myself.

Sunny never gives a warning, no puffing up or anything, she just grabs ahold of my skin and bites down hard.

Whisper is 17 mo old and she has never bitten me. Tonight I reached up while she had her head turned preening. She turned around and grabbed my finger {but did not bite} and said "Ooops". She says Ooops whenever she makes a mistake like losing her footing or dropping something. I have never said it when she has grabbed my hand like when we are playing or I surprise her like tonight but somehow she knows it means mistake.

If I am doing something she does not like she will push my hand away. She has bitten my grandaughter and my ex-husband but not me.

She spends a lot of time on my shoulder. I trust her completely.

Post edited by: Char, at: 2009/05/05 02:47<br><br>Post edited by: Char, at: 2009/05/05 02:49

Judy - As you know, Dave just states the facts and only the facts. :-)

I can not join this club either, obviously since I am the founding father of the Parrot Bite Me Club.

I can only say some are born "Bad to the Bone" will bite when 12 weeks old and in my opinion are prime candidates for being breeder. I remember being attacked by a 12 week old Grey that literally flew from the floor 6 feet away to attack and place a good blood drawing bite on me. That grey would also growl at the breeders and stay in the back of the brooder and cage when approached while all the other baby greys would come running up.

I don't know, maybe that poor baby grey was just slapped too many times by his bad Grey parents before being removed from the nest when he was 3 weeks old. ;-)

I do have to say though, my wild caught (suspected) conure is a biting fool and even scares Dayo when he starts into the protection mode of some intruder to his cage top or area when out, unless your invited by his little come and talk to me look. :-)

:P :P

I figured I'd get some good stories in here!:P

And thank you, Dave, for verifying for those of us wearing band-aids that there's a certain element of inevitability in this. Makes me feel a LITTLE better, I suppose...:whistle:

It certainly seems like a bird-to-bird thing, from what I am reading. I have to admit, Max is pretty predictable. When she has bitten me, it's usually because I was breaking The Rules somehow; putting my hand in her space when it wasn't welcome. I have also learned to really limit her time in front of my keyboard, because she seems to have recently decided that my computer is her territory and I am not allowed to interfere with her chewing on mouse cords, etc. Overall, though, she almost always warns me with some other body language, and hasn't drawn blood from me in a while (maybe because I know that body language....)

Now Tanner, on the other hand, is living up to the severe macaw's Jekyll-and-Hyde reputation. He has come a LONG way in the 6 months he's lived with us, but he still has two brains in that fuzzy little skull of his, and both of them involve his beak. He'll be begging for beak-rubs and tummy-tickles one second and then turn and give me a really hard pinch out of nowhere, or suddenly start his wing-flcking, head-bobbing, eye-pinning routine in the middle of cooing and croaking love-nothings at me. I gather from chatting with some other severe macaw owners on another forum that this is pretty common with severes. Suffice to say: I still haven't really learned what sets him off, and not sure I will. I am also still the only person he willingly goes to ever, tho we are working on setting him on Mary (my 13-y.o. daughter)- and interestingly, tho he fights moving to her arm, he has never bitten her. Go figure....

Ya I know all about those 2 brains in there heads Igot one of those. one minute he's begging commere Iloveyou only to bite me if I get to close. I must admit though he has come along long way since I've had him he so wants attention and he always wants kiss kiss he allows me to kiss the top of his beal everynight before bed and he blows rasberrys at me its so cute. he comes outof his cage no problem now but doesn't like to leave it at all . He will let me give him little scritches and then turn fast and try to bite he hasn't got me yet though and ithas slowed allot because I turn and walk away when he trys he doesn't like that.

Dave007 wrote:

Just remember that just about every bite is not done will evil intentions.

Well put Dave. I would venture to say that most of the time when people get bitten that the bird gave them some kind of warning first. They just didn't see it or were intent on forcing their will on the bird.

Here is an example: Whisper does not come out of her cage in the morning before I go to work. She is accustomed to this and it is not a problem for her. Sometimes on the weekend when I go in there in the morning..She does not want to come out. It is not her routine you see.

I ask her if she wants to come out. If she retreats, I say fine and leave the room and come back later. I respect that hey she just does not want to right now.

Sometimes I will go in there 3 times before she is ready to join me in the other room.

That's a very good point, Dave, and bears repeating. You are absolutely right, of course.

With Max, it's almost always clear to me (if I'm paying attention) why I have been bitten: it's ME - or something in the environment that surprised both of us.

With Tanner the Severe it is less obvious, and there are those who would have me believe it is his issue more than mine. Still my skin, tho!:pinch: :pinch: So it behooves me to work on going to another level in trying to figure out what brings on the bite from this boy....

I think I should just feel lucky to have one Logical Bird - a Grey!:woohoo: