NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Those of you with Mature Greys....

edillon5063

How dramatically does their personality change as they get older? I read the article posted on here about the different personality and development stages they go through, I just don't want to ever imagine my sweet, playful Indy biting me! He's getting close to 7 months old now. I have other birds so I know the occasional bite is part of it, but Indy is so resiliant, adaptive, and playful. What are your experiences?<br><br>Post edited by: edillon5063, at: 2009/05/02 23:34

I have a 6 year old Rescue that has definatly done her share of biting me. Now that I've had her for a couple years she very seldom bites me anymore. we have a good relationship she likes her head scritches and kisses on her beak but she's not a cuddler and I doubt she ever will be. Thats not to say she has never cuddled with me. One night a friend was over and I had Tyco on my arm and she came a s close as possible to me and put her body and head up agaist my body I guess she was felling a little insecure and because she trust me it was her way of asking me to protect her.I don't think that your grey will all of a suddenturn into evil bird from hell jst because it gets older yes when its hormonal time he may not be able to control the emotions he's feeling atfirst but as the years go by this get easier for them because they know how to handle it better. My 12 year old Amazon gets better at handleing horomal time each year she still wants to nest constantly during at this time but shes not mean at all anymore. don't worry you and your bird will be fine just remember to check his body language during these times.

I had Nelson for 20 years and he never changed his personality. There were times he got nippy but I think most of it was my fault. I'd get busy and handle him less and we'd kinda forget how to react to each other. Once I got back in to a routine he settled down. Even during these times we had a good relationship he just got used to throwing little temper tantrums when it was time to put him back in his cage. In some ways he got better with age because he just became one of the family. Despite being a whid caught import bird he became quite cuddly as he got older. He loved me to cup him in my hands under my chin. Because we were bonded so well I never experienced any problems when he came of breeding age. I'd just get barfed on - "sliming" as I called it.

Of course all birds are different so your mileage may vary.

Tom

It just depends on each individual Grey. There are owners here whom have never been bitten. But, I must say, that is unusual.

As a Grey or any other Parrot for that matter ages, they start realizing they are an individual with a brain that decides if they want to do something you wish them to or not.

This is a formative time as they mature and the important thing to establish and with consistency is what is acceptable and not in flock behaviour. A hard bite of course is not acceptable. However, they will give a good one and you just need to learn their body language such as eyes pinning, neck feathers ruffling etc. so you can be prepared and stop it before it happens by simply backing off if you don't need them to do something like step up right that minute.

Enjoy you baby grey and all the sweet things they do and sounds they make. :-)

Don't sweat MIGHT happen or not.

Charlie is six now and he has matured in to a really nice boy.He is quite willful and very determined to have his own way about things.He is a bit like a teenager going through that rebelious stage.He is not a very cuddly bird but when he wants to we have some very good cuddle sessions,these usually happen before bed time when he is quiet and settled.He has bitten me, but that has always been when I have not taken enough notice of his warnings.He is more likely to just grab my finger and push my hand away, a clear hands off sign.I also got a bad bite from him last year when he injured his wing because he was in pain .He will lie on his back in my hand and play and can do a few tricks but it is all on his terms. You just get to know what the signs are and when you can interact with them.I do think he gets a bit hormonal at times but this just means being a bit more sensative and backing off a bit. I do feel it is important to teach them some commands such as step up so that you can maintain hand controle and tameness as they mature.

I suspect that buying baby Greys in the belief that they will bond to the new owners is a misconception. My understanding is that wild CAGs stay with their parents for at least a year before they are ready to find new partners. In fact it may be a couple of years before they have learned sufficient Grey skills to leave home.

The point of this is that they have an instinct to reject their early carers after one or two years. This includes human foster parents no matter how loving they may be.

Adopting an older CAG can be much more successful because of this.

Misty came to me at two and I know his previous keepers had him as a young bird and they loved him. He became my friend within a couple of weeks and we have been best buddies ever since.

In my opinion ideally a breeder should let the parent bird raise the babies for at least a year before putting them up for adoption. Unfortunately I expect the costs would be higher and people are suckered in to the idea that adopting cute and cuddly babies is a good idea when it probably is not. I don't know how this works for other breads because I know they are all different.

Steve n Misty

well mabie I will get lucky with my baby then she and my 6 year old are quite close right now and I' worried that my baby will bond more to her tham me my older bird is definatly playing the part of mother bird to my baby even allowing her to climb up on her back to help her reach places she can't get to. With that said mabie my baby will reject her in a year or so and bond even more with me even though I hand raised her.