NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Another question from a new owner

Jgo1973

Hello Everyone,

My 3 year old "Meko" seems to be doing well. He has been with us now for about a month.

He started talking and making sound effects on the first day of arrival in our home. He is till scared to death of the little Quaker "Bella"...I wonder if they will ever be friends?

A few things he does that seem odd:

1. He seems to be talking a little less when we are in the room - but He will chatter on when I an in my office and he is in the living room / kitchen. He also seems to talk more when my husband is not around. Some of the new things he has picked up are my husbands laugh, clearing of his throat (allergy season), "Hello" in his voice, "come here" in his voice and I think "good boy" all in his voice - but he Meko seems shy around him...

2. He still seems like he is "shivering" or his feathers are "quivering" almost like he is scared - is this common and how long before he feels more comfortable? I am laid off right now so I am home with him a lot...any thoughts?

You have all been so nice and helpful - I'm glad I found this site. {Feel-good-00020114}

Greetings!

I've only had our grey for about a month or so, but I'll do my best with your questions and hopefully more will respond with reinforcements or other ideas.

Have you tried talking to him when you're in the room? Not the typical "good boy" "pretty bird" two-word phrases, but conversational stuff? I feel so silly when I do it, but when I get home I ask Chimay how his day was and start "thinking" out loud about my day. I know he has no idea what I'm saying but it seems to encourage chatter out of him.

Do all of his feathers quiver, or just the belly-feathers? If it's just the belly feathers then (from what I understand) it's a sign of happiness and contentment :)

Oh - it's just belly feathers... I read somewhere that that meant he was scared. That didn't seem to make sense because he doesn't seem scared. Thanks so much for the reply. I will be more chatty in front of him (he lives in a house with Me, My husband and our two teen daughters)lots of chatter around lol.

One of my Greys is 6 yrs old and a rescue I've had her for 2 years. she definatly talks more when I'm not in the room with her because she calls me. She also makes up excuses why I should come. I need toys pick up bug-a-boo her favorite foot toy. or Fesh water, Or cookie. what ever she thinks will make me come back faster. She is very smart. when I'm in the room she does talk but only when she's putting her 2 cents in when I'm having a conversation with my daughter or talking on the phone if she hears the phone ring she always says hello who is it Sometime when shes playing she will talk to her toys tells them to stop it or bad baby or what ever she also will shake sometimes when I'm interacting with her and I know its not because shes afraid of me. anyway I hope this helps alittle it sounds to me like your grey is normal my bird mimics my daughter but I'm her favorite so thats probubly normal also.

Well, I can tell you about the personality of a quaker in order for you to understand what may be going on.

Quakers are a naturally aggressive, possessive, jealous type of bird. They've been referred to as a wild macaw in a quaker's body. They actually prefer going after a much larger bird as opposed to one that's it's size or smaller. Quakers are extremely quick and can cause a grey grief and frustration simply because the grey doesn't have any way of dealing with a quick aggressive bird. Quakers run circles around greys. Greys are slow and clumsy compared to a quaker. A flighted quaker will go after a larger bird from many angles. Most of the time, the grey will back off and try to put itself in a safe place to avoid a quaker. Whether they will be friends depends on their personalities. My guess is that if the two birds have the ability to get away from each other, there may be some peace. Always expect the quaker to win the battle though.

"""He seems to be talking a little less when we are in the room """""

Very normal. Many greys do their most talking when no one is around.

"""He still seems like he is "shivering" or his feathers are "quivering" almost like he is scared - is this common and how long before he feels more comfortable?"""

As long as this is a once in a while reaction there's nothing to worry about. Greys do it for a few reasons. Being slightly fearful, something unknown coming closer, being handled in a new way, being afraid of something strange that's being given to them, a warning sign that they feel unsure about you at certain times.

Tycos_mom wrote:

One of my Greys is 6 yrs old and a rescue I've had her for 2 years. she definatly talks more when I'm not in the room with her because she calls me. She also makes up excuses why I should come. I need toys pick up bug-a-boo her favorite foot toy. or Fesh water, Or cookie. what ever she thinks will make me come back faster. She is very smart. when I'm in the room she does talk but only when she's putting her 2 cents in when I'm having a conversation with my daughter or talking on the phone if she hears the phone ring she always says hello who is it Sometime when shes playing she will talk to her toys tells them to stop it or bad baby or what ever she also will shake sometimes when I'm interacting with her and I know its not because shes afraid of me. anyway I hope this helps alittle it sounds to me like your grey is normal my bird mimics my daughter but I'm her favorite so thats probubly normal also.

Those are great stories - thank you for sharing it helps very much :)

Yes my quaker is very, very sweet but also very jelous of Meko since we brought him home. They are both clipped so no one gets hurt and we keep their perches in the same room with supervision and their cages are upstairs.

Meko seems to quiver daily - I will continue to monitor that...

I'm glad to know that talking "alone" is normal, I was worried that he felt insecure around my husband since they both spend most of the day with just me. But they are well socialized with the entire family so I guess they are progressing normally.

Thanks again for the feedback and have a great day!