NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Thinking about getting a grey

I am fully in the know when it comes to having to pay for a parrot. It would be a rare case to get one for free. I am willing to pay whatever the rescue charges. Rescues dont make a profit like breeders. They are just trying to stay afloat and pay their vet bills, overhead, ect. and of coarse, that means they have to charge a donation fee, which is fine by me.

They all have pretty strict rules about who they will adopt to as I am finding out. You have to take classes, have home visits, sign contracts. Its no joke. They want to prevent these birds from being further traumatized by being passed around from one home to the next which of coarse is not good for the birds well being.

I have a friend who has a parrot. I think it is a Amazon and he bites, and I have handled other parrots in the past and have been bit by some of them too. :evil: I know what I am getting into. I am man enough to handle whatever comes my way. I dont believe in paying for companionship so I have decided to stay on the rescue bird course no matter how long it takes to land the right bird.

I dont even care if the bird talks or not. If I was looking for conversation I would talk to a person and not a bird anyway.

Hey Devin,

I am from Minnesota to. There is a rescue here in MN called MAARS. I think you should go there and spend some time there even if its only for a weekend. I know that you said that you want a special needs Grey, however spending time with some would be a good idea first. It would be a good insight for exactly what you are getting your self into. Also, being a first time bird owner (if you go through MAARS) will probably require you to take classes and do some hands on training at there site before considering you. Here is there web site:

http://www.maars.org/index.php

Please, please, please check into this before you get a Grey!!! I know from experience loosing a companion bird is VERY hard. I researched Grey's for over a year before I actually got one. There is a lot to learn and it CAN'T be done in a couple of days. I think it would be a good idea for you to get some Cockateils or another type of smaller bird before you get a Grey. In my opinion, Grey's should not be pets for first time bird owners.

Ben Fort,

Chanhassen, MN

Oh wow Ben thank you for that link it's so sad what people do to the poor babies! I was just reading Angel's story oh goodness BUT she is going to have a happy ending thanks to the rescue service that you belong too. Devin I hope that you go here and see what they have to offer you and for the birds :) all I can say is WOW!

Carol

Thanks Ben! I think I will have to check out that rescue. I would only be able to volunteer, because I wouldn't meet their adoption requirements --- live too far away from their location. I need more experience with handling some special needs birds.

I am guessing I will probably find the right bird simply by word of mouth and I'll just keep doing my research and start taking some bird quizzes to check myself. :evil: I want to be ready to respond right if my future bird is a biter. :evil:

I am pretty much decided on the fact that I want a plucker and I want one that has "serious" behavioral problems, because I am sure I can fix it by being very patient and gentle, even quiet. I will probably even clicker train my bird so I won't ever have to man handle it to get it to act right whatever right ends up being.

I cant wait to give that extra special needs bird a chance at an extra special life in a forever home.

I don't think anyone starts out "wanting" a bird with "serious" (as you put it) behavioral problems, and I'm not even sure that is the right frame of mind to begin with.

Just be open minded to take in any bird that might be a good match for you- any that has no home and is in a shelter is in need of a match, and I don't think it sounds right to a rescue (I work with horse rescues and if we had a potential adoptor who had never owned a horse and said he/she wanted the worst one possible red flags would go off and that person WOULD NOT get a horse).

Guest jamalbirdbiz

It is a good thing 2 get a plucked rescue bird. That is the best thing becuz they need homes more than the ones with a body full of featherz. Most people just skip them over and pick an easyer bird. Molly was fully plucked when I got her but now she flyz around and getz to do whatever she wantz and she now haz a body full of featherz. :)

Just so you know U will not be able to feed it any kind of weening formula or pelletz even though U might want to bond special with it. It doesnt work anyway b/c I tried handfeeding both Molly and Marvin and they just kept biting me :evil:

Hello again. I have come across a couple of special needs parrots that are in need of forever homes.

One is a CAG named Tyson. He is only three years old and he started plucking after his family abandoned him in their foreclosed home. He has also stopped talking and he bites :evil: I haven't been able to visit him yet and there are a number of people who are interested, so he is a long shot. He is currently staying with a woman who does private parrot rescue.

The other grey is a Timneh called Sundance, because she likes to dance when the sun comes up, which is pretty amazing because she only has one leg. She has feathers and doesn't pluck or bite. She doesn't know she is special needs, but of course special attention to detail in regards to the set up of her cage with perches, toys, ect. must be taken. Her owner is not capable of caring for her anymore on his own and has decided it is best to put her up for adoption. He has had her up for adoption for over a year and is screening pretty intensely, because he wants to be sure all of her needs are met. I am going to try my best to set up a time to meet with them to see if we can arrange something even if it means just visiting her once a week to help the guy out with cleaning the cage and just bonding with them both.

I think you are on the right course and finding out alot more that is involved as you check further into it. It doesn't seem to deter you any and it sounds like you are taking this pretty seriously. I have rescued a couple very neglected parrots and although it has been work and TOTAL commitment and dedication, I would not change if for anything. It has been so rewarding.

I had a chance to meet with Sundance and Dave (the current owner) and it went great. She is a very social grey and took to me right away B) She even danced a little, which was cool. Although she was too shy to talk.

Dave is very attached to his baby girl, but he feels that with his failing health he needs to start facing the reality that she might be better off with another owner. I didn't push it. I just pretty much chilled out with them and we talked about stuff. Sundance even took a few almonds from me, but she threw all the fresh fruit I gave her :evil: , but thats okay. I guess she is more into nuts at this stage in her life. I read her some children's books and she seemed to like that. She especially liked the stories of the adventures of Curious George. We have another visit planned for next week and I cant wait.

Well Devon I am impressed that you are very serious about taking in Sundance and if that is what you want then I hope it works out for you. But be very sure this IS what you want because that is the last think this grey needs is to end up in another home.

You will find lots of helpful information here on our site about rescued greys, we have a rescue room so browse thru that one thoroughly, and we are here to help you with any problems you may have and you will have problems as life is full of them.

Please keep us informed and let us know how the next visit goes with Sundance.

Hi again Devin. I have to admit,I thought from some of the things you were writing initially that you were a bit of a fruitcake.

Seems I was wrong as it looks like you are committed to helping a grey for the right reasons.

remember though that its a whole lot different spending an hour with a bird than living with a grey who needs and deserves lots of time and attention. I guess what im trying to say is that it would be a shame for a bird who has allready been through alot to be rehomed yet again if you found it to be to difficult to keep. Or if you get bored of it as you suggested you might with the snake. A grey is not something you can just release into your local woods when you've had enough and neither is a Boa!!

Is no one else even remotly concerned about this guy given some of the strange statements he has made?

I dont want to cause an argument its only my oppinion and i apologise for any offence.

we all make strange statements but was thinking parallel zic. on another note, if a boa and CAG accidentally got together.. wonder result of outcome? do love my congo but damn is she A LOT of work. i mean A LOT. if thought how i do now at the time of purchase, would NOT have bought. either way devon, seems your decision is supported which ever way. good luck.