NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pinata Tragedy!!

MrsB

From another group, and Eclectus almost died from a store bought Pinata the other day. Apparently it was made in Mexico, and they do not have the same standards for formaldehyde, no standards there at all,so it is used in manufacturing paper. Not so here in the US. So everyone needs to check where there's was made, and if you don't know, toss them. They have sent the Pinata for testing, so we'll know more later.

This poor baby has been in the vet with toxic poisoning and not able to eat, and her crop is described as "red and angry". It has been a traumatic ordeal. They think she will recover, but we'll have to see.

Oh my gosh...that's awful! I hope that poor birdie gets well soon. For anyone who purchases from www.birdsafestore.com, I have emailed them to ask where their pinatas are manufactured as I recently purchased a frog pinata from them that I haven't given to Chimay yet. I'll post their response to this thread when I get it.

I contacted my supplier, she said that hers come from Malaysia, and then they are tested here, but when I posted that to another group, someone jumped on me and said that everything that comes from Malaysia (toy wise) is horrid and she would never buy any toy that was made there. So, who knows? Maybe best just to skip the pinatas? Do we have American made toys somewhere?

Received this response from Joe at www.birdsafestore.com:

Cindy,

Yes they are made by the same company -- but no conclusive tests were done on the pinata or the bird in question. I regularly give those pinatas to my own birds without problem. This is another unproven case of hysteria that is going around the internet. Unless conclusive tests are done, nobody can know what is going on.

Joe

I don't think it is hysteria, and personally I choose not to take the chance. I think it is about money when suppliers get pissy b/c someone has spoken out. I would do the same exact thing if there was even a small chance it was from something I suspected. They did send the bird's blood and the pinata and we will know eventually, but I'm not taking the chance. I tossed the pinata.

I check and recheck everything I give my birds if i though for even a second that something was unsafe they would not be getting it. I make allot of my own toys and the supplys I buy are made in Canada or the Usa as far as shredding toys go I would rather hang a roll of unbeached paper towels or roll up a newspaper and put through links of a chain made of plastic shower curtain hooks the bird have just as much if not more fun shredding these kinds of toys and I Know My birds aren't going to wind up in the hospital of worse.

Found this thread on this subject and thought I would follow up here since some people have overreacted to my use of the word "hysteria" -- what I mean by that is that the story gets posted around as if we know hard facts about the case, and we simply are working from conjecture at this point.

I have spoken to the company (Fetch-It Pets) who assured me that their pinatas have been thoroughly tested. She also told me that the bird owner or the vet has not contacted them, that she would be happy to talk with them about the situation.

I have been told by a "third party" that the bird did test for "formaldehyde and resin" -- and I asked if I could see a copy of the test. I also asked if the pinata has been tested -- I have received no reply to either request.

As I have said -- I have probably gone through three dozen of these pinatas with my own birds, sold dozens to many customers, all without issue. I think all too often when we have a sick bird we want to jump on the easiest thing we can to try and make us feel better -- I think we've all been there to some degree before. So I in know way am saying anything bad about the bird owner or the vet -- but it simply is counterproductive to the avian community to make claims that have not been backed up with hard facts (test results).

As I said on the Birdsafe list, when I hear a problem with formaldehyde - my first thought is balsa toys, as I know that balsa, in its bulk form, is treated with formaldehyde before it enters the country.

And not all the pinatas are made in Mexico, most are made in the Phillipines.

Joe

www.birdsafe.com

First you call us hysterical, and then say we are

overreacting. I really feel it is not neccesary to criticize us for taking zero risks with our loved pets. If there was any, ANY, slight, small, miniscule possibility that something MAY harm by babies, I'll choose to avoid it 110% of the time. And I greatly appreciate her saying to us at large, that while she did not know for sure, she suspected and wanted to let us all know. She never said (at least the email I got) did not say she knew anything for sure, as fact. And I am so very greatful to her for speaking out. And I would do the same thing. JUST IN CASE.

Do you know to what extent our lives are spent making sure that their lives are safe, free of chemicals, cleaning products, no more air fresheners, Teflon, candles,etc. etc. etc? We do all err on the side of caution everyday, continually. I think that that is neither hysterical or overreacting.

Mrs B. -- I don't know you -- and obviously you don't know me or what I have tried to do for birds for the past 10 years, and perhaps you are not familiar with Birdsafe.com and the Birdsafe safety email list.

I never said you or anyone else was "hysterical" -- I simply stated that a "hysteria" was being created on the Internet about this issue. Perhaps I should paste the nasty email that I received from someone stating that I did not know my facts when I was simply stating that there was an isolated incident involving these pinatas and that no conclusive tests have been done. I was told in this email that the bird in fact tested positive for "formaldehyde and resin" -- though this person cannot - or I should say did not -- provide any proof, and was merely passing along what "she heard"

People who know me would tell you that I get accused of being "too cautious" with toys, and I never EVER say anything bad about anyone wanting to protect their birds from what they deem to be dangerous.

BUT -- I can gaurantee you if you gave me a list of the toys in your bird's cage, I would eliminate three-fourths of them based on isolated incidents like this. I get emails and/or phone calls almost every day telling me I should post a warning or pull a toy or other product.

Do you have toys with rope? Do you have toys with plastic straws? Do you have Shredders or the many pinatas made with Shredders? Do you have boings? Rope swings? If so, then you should apply the same caution to them that you are with the Fetch It Pet pinatas. If, as you say, you want to take "zero risks" -- have you removed all those from your bird's cage? Then let's start talking about all the food warnings I get from people whose bird had a reaction to a peanut, wheat products, spirulina, organic sprouts -- the list is endless.