NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Shaka Zulu's first vet visit

Summerc25

So I took Shaka Zulu to the vet today, first visit since I have had him. Everything looked pretty good. The Vet said his good bacteria was a tiny bit low so he gave me some benebac, which btw is NOT going so well. Shaka Zulu apparently thinks it is very evil stuff and he hates it. He also gave me some stuff called Bird Rain because I told him when I tried to bathe SZ he freaked out. He is a very calm sweet bird but baths are not something he enjoys at this point. I don't think he had one for quite a while before he came to me. Has anyone ever heard of this bird rain? I want to be sure its okay to use before I do so.

He also was a tad underweight. The vet said he was not concerned but he wants him to gain. I have been feeding him several times a day and he is never without food so I have to stop that and give him several meals a day and not leave his fod available he entire day and only small snacks in between. The reason I was letting him have food constantly is because I could tell he was under weight when I got him. Anyway we both really liked the vet. Thanks :)

Well good luck with the meds. I hate giving meds to my birds they always hate it I wish they could do somthing to make it taste good so the birds would take it willingly. Oh well use a little trickery if you have to what ever works. I'm sorry to hear he's under weight hopefully that will improve when his bacteria improves your a good mom and I'm glad you have everything taken care of. how much does SZ weigh.

So far I have escaped having to give Josey any meds but if and when I have to I will deal with that whatever way I have to so she takes them.

Thanks for letting us know how the vet visit went and I am sure he will pack on those grams soon enough with mommy's help.

It's good to hear you had a vet wellness check done.

Concerning the weight, is it possible for you to contact the previous owner to see what his normal weight was while they had him?

Also, while getting information from them, ask what brands of foods they were supplying him that he liked. A change in diet can certainly lower weight due to less intake of foods they are not familiar with.

I am uncertain of the reasoning of "Several" feedings through out the day instead of just leaving the pellets, some nuts and seeds in there for him to eat when he desires. Birds do not gorge themselves on 3 meals a day like humans. They eat constantly all day long.

For good bacteria, you could also just offer your grey yogurt with bacteria in it. The come in many good flavors that your grey would love and accomplish the same thing. :-)

On the "Bird Rain", it's not the product that will get your Grey to appreciate getting misted. It's just the fact that you need to do it whether he likes it or not and getting him good and wet. :-)

Water works just fine and there are a lot of threads concerning bathing your Grey.

Most DO NOT like getting misted or taking a shower. Some will get into a pie pan of water and splash around willingly themselves. :-)

Looking forward to how this progresses.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/04/29 15:59

I'm glad SZ's first vet visit went well. Sounds like you found a vet you and ShakaZulu can both feel comfortable with, that is a very good thing!

As far as misting your bird, have you tried aiming the mist up above so it falls gently on the bird rather than aiming right at him? That sometimes works better.